Tanning?!

Options
Hey Everybody-

I am pretty white skin color- sometimes you can see my viens- It makes me really uncomfortable and really lowers my self esteem. I have thought alot about tanning- I have no idea what would be best?

Tanning beds- (heard thats very bad for your skin- not sure if I want to damage my skin)
Tanning lotions (stuff you can get at the store and it gradually tans you----heard some of it can make you orange and blotch??)
Tanning sprays? (you can get it at beauty supply stores---heard it can turn you orange nad blotchty)
---I heard there is some tanning beds that are less harmful to your skin......

What would you reccomend? (p.s I dont want to be dark dark or orange- im not into the fad of being tan tan- i just want to add some color to my skin so i feel better...)
ANY thoughts or advice would be greatly apperciated!!THANK YOU and i hope i get some feedback!!

Replies

• samatalma
    samatalma Posts: 197
    Options
    Eat a lot of carrots. And yes, I'm being serious.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    I prefer tanning beds honestly. I don't like lotions/sprays. Always seem to streak or a little orange. Plus laying in a bed is warm, relaxing, and awesome when it is cold out
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    For what it's worth, your natural complexion looks great. Just make sure to use sunblock if you're on the beach :)
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Tanning beds are just as harmful as the sun. Just say no! :smile:

Personally, I love being pale, but I've used some self-tanners so the glare off my lily-white legs doesn't blind anyone.

The moisturizers that gradually give you color don't make you streaky or blotchy. Since you apply it over several days, it would be hard to miss the same area time and time again to leave a streak or blotch. I liked those better than other at-home tanners.

I've heard good things about spray tans where you go to get sprayed, but I've never done it.
  • Amyann44
    Amyann44 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Jergens has a lotion that is very subtle. I like Neutragena products for a darker tan
  • jenniffer86
    jenniffer86 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I second the gradual tanner.. that way you can see what you like, and your less likly to miss a spot.
    I love loreal sublime bronze personally.. but it's harder to find this time of year.

What about an instant tanner/bronzer that washes off.. so that way if you make a mistake or you don't like it, it will come off right away?
  • APHerrera
    APHerrera Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Don't use tanning beds. I used tanning beds every day for two years and now I know I'm at an EXTREME risk of skin cancer at some point down the line. Don't try to cheat nature - your skin wants to be pale, so own it!!

Here's a link to some REALLY gorgeous light-skinned actresses: http://www.listal.com/list/pale-actresses

If you're like me, you use MFP because you want to be healthy. Health comes not just from eating, but also treating your whole body and mind with respect - try not to do something that you know can cause cancer. Then all the work you've done on your body would be a total waste!

If you really can't stand your pale skin, try Jergen's Natural Glow lotion - it GRADUALLY tans you if you use it everyday as your moisturizer, and it doesn't look orange. Make sure you buy the kind for "light" skin, not the kind for "medium" skin. Plus, it won't give you cancer!
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I've used tanning beds in the past( and kind of want to again!) and done a Mystic Tan.

The new Mystic Tan HD is awesome and does not turn you orange because it allows you to pick the amount of color that you want.. but it is like 30 dollars a session, so unless you buy a sunless package, it's not the most affordable option.
  • CallieDerenthal
    CallieDerenthal Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    i use tanning beds but they are terrible for you... worse than the sun i think. lotions are a safer bet but i would test it out on a part of your body that you can hide in case it turns you a little orange. just my two cents! :flowerforyou:
  • tam120
    tam120 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    A friend used to get sprayed once a week or once every two weeks, I don't remember... anywho, she had to stop because when working out she would sweat and the tanner would wear off around her ankles/feet where her socks were.

I have used the Jergens lotion with tanner and I didn't like the color at all, I looked yellow.

Tanning beds are definitely bad for your skin, the more pale your skin the worse the damage.

I've never used regular self-tanner.
  • devilsangel2
    devilsangel2 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I use the gradual tanner too and it is awesome. Unlike instant tanning lotions I never end up with blotches/streaks/white patches and once you get to a level of tan that you want you just use it once or twice a week to maintain it and not get any darker.

Tried a spray tan once and I don't know if I went to a bad place for it or what, but it was way too dark and I really didn't like it at all.

ETA: The lotion I use is an Australian one called Le Tan Gradual Tanning Lotion
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Don't use tanning beds. I used tanning beds every day for two years and now I know I'm at an EXTREME risk of skin cancer at some point down the line. Don't try to cheat nature - your skin wants to be pale, so own it!!

Here's a link to some REALLY gorgeous light-skinned actresses: http://www.listal.com/list/pale-actresses

If you're like me, you use MFP because you want to be healthy. Health comes not just from eating, but also treating your whole body and mind with respect - try not to do something that you know can cause cancer. Then all the work you've done on your body would be a total waste!

If you really can't stand your pale skin, try Jergen's Natural Glow lotion - it GRADUALLY tans you if you use it everyday as your moisturizer, and it doesn't look orange. Make sure you buy the kind for "light" skin, not the kind for "medium" skin. Plus, it won't give you cancer!
    Tanning beds are bad if you are using them every day(and for long periods of time)...sure. I use one maybe once or twice a week at 5min a time. Go figure that my dermatologist recommended it for the dark sunless months here, to help my psoriasis.(for the Vit. D...I can only use certain beds because of this)
  • FitForLife81
    FitForLife81 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Yup eat lots of carrots it does work lol!!!

I am currently using a tanning bed but only because I am trying to get a base tan so I dont burn horribly on my cruise. I only go in for a little at a time and make sure I dont burn!!
  • krazyforyou
    krazyforyou Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    I am a childs of the 70's. Laid out in the sun all the time, you know baby oil and iodine. Now I have melasma ( brown spots ) so bad that only fractional laser will get rid of them. So keep your perfect " white " skin and you will be soooo happy later you did.
  • Elaine801
    Elaine801 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who gets a spray tan, done at a salon. They won't make you too dark, and the sugar in the formula is supposed to be good for your skin. I haven't tried it yet, but I think I will this spring. I've been a tanner all my life, and it is catching up with me now, (I'm in my 50's). I've never done a tanning bed (fake bake), but they are supposed to be worse than the sun. Make sure you are getting enough vitamin D, since you aren't in the sun much. You'll need it for good bones, in the future. You are a lovely girl, just the way you are.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    Yup eat lots of carrots it does work lol!!!

I am currently using a tanning bed but only because I am trying to get a base tan so I dont burn horribly on my cruise. I only go in for a little at a time and make sure I dont burn!!

Base tans to prevent sun burns are kind of a myth ... you may not burn, but you're acutally doing as much if not more damage to your skin than the burn would give you.

No, I'm not citing my sources today. The facts are out there, though.
  • xosmsox
    xosmsox Posts: 119
    Options
    Never use a tanning bed! I recently read an article comparing the risk of cancer to be as great as smoking. Victoria's secret makes a really nice spray tan and tan lotion. Experiment. It washes off after all!
  • Csb9663
    Options
    For an 18 year old who has extremely ugly scars from having Melanoma removed.. tanning beds are a NO GO. Trust me, if being pale lowers your self esteem, big ugly scars will do much worse.

Try taking (certain) Vitamins to help! Or tanning sprays.. As long and you follow the instructions you should look fine. OH and I've never had problems with tanning lotions, but if you use those remember to wash your hands after!

Best wishes!
  • olyrose
    olyrose Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    My skin is ridiculously pale, like almost glow in the dark white. I use the jergens lotion during the summer, but I do notice, partly I think because my skin is so pale, that it can streak if I don't apply it perfectly. After a week or so, I feel like it takes the glare off my skin, but it doesn't add any significant color (no one but me can really tell I've used it). My skin doesn't really tan, it just burns, so I've never tried tanning beds. I have thought about getting the professional spray, though...
  • CrystalMarie253
    Options
    I use a tanning bed once a week, sometimes I miss a week here and there. I don't go in the summer either. I know it's not the best thing for you, but we all do stuff that isn't great for us. Just don't over do it. I am naturally pretty white too and it makes me feel better to be tan.