RANT: obese people that PUSH dieting advice!!

Options
I have a friend whos is super obese, she is 5' 4 inches and weighs 298, yet every single time I try to talk about my diet she acts like shes an expert because her mom is a nutrishionst. I was talking about my carbs being at 150, she started FREAKING out on me about how there is NO excuse for ANYONE to eat that many carbs a day, and MFP is a crock if it sets your carbs so high, its setting you up for failure and your just gonna mess everything up, and to quit now before I destroy my chances at a "good diet" this went on for what seemed like forever I tried to argue that I wasn't doing some elimination diet, I needed to LEARN how to control what I put in my mouth, quanities and moderation, and she freaked out again. NO, its not about moderation, its about changing your life and what you eat. If you go out to dinner and they offer you a bread basket, its not about stopping yourself after one peice of bread, its about being able to not eat the bread at all. I told her that type of life style/ diet would never work for me, because I would start to feel like i'm suffering "without" and I just wanted to focus on eating RIGHT, and not about what I can and can not eat. Again, starts flipping out. "my mom is a nutrishionst, she knows this ****, if you don't want my advice dont talk to me about this crap, I don't want to hear it!" so I stopped talking to her about it...for awhile.
Than just a few days ago she noticed that I posted on facebook that I had lost 16 lbs, and she starts FREAKING out about that, it's only been 3 weeks, if youve managed to lose 16 lbs your doing it the wrong way and your just gonna fail, and your skin will never tighten and youll look worse "skinny" than you would fat. Your just messing everything up. I tried to remind her that at least 8 lbs of that was inital water weight, but she still freaked out on me. I also tried to remind her that not everyone can diet the same and that no two people have the same idea of "do's and don'ts" with eating healthier.
So now to my final point. Today. Just now, infact the conversation is still going on as I type this, but i've just got to the point where I'm like, "yeah, your right" "uhh huhh" "i know" and not truly paying attention. Lol
Anyway, I asked her if she had any recepies for low cal/carb deserts or treats to curve my sweet tooth. she said "you don't want to do that, it will jsut lead to more and more junk, and than youll get even more fat, and than it will never stop, you need to cut it out COMPLEATLY, I never had much of a sweet tooth, but my downfall was bread and until I cut it out compleatly I cheated, and you cant cheat on a diet, you need to go at least 6 months before you touch a sweet so you no longer have the cravings, and you can eat less of it" I instantly got peeved. Shes talking to me like shes a weight loss expert, when she DID manage too lose nearly 60 lbs, than GAIN it ALL back and than some within less than a years time. I hate it when super big people **and I'm a super big person myself** try to preach health advice, because CLEARLY, all my ideas of "health" worked out for me...RIGHT?? It makes no sence. Like a few weeks ago **before I started my life change** I was talking about eating animal crackers, and she starts spazzing out, "DO YOU KNOW HOW MANY CALORIES ARE IN THAT" than SLAPS it from my hand and throws it in the trash....I dont know about you, but I did't become over 200 lbs from eating salad and lean meats....so how could someone be nearly 300 lbs and have any idea of health conscience choices??? GAHH I just want to yell at her. ANYWAYYY Any low cal or low carb, or BOTH, treat recepes anyone?? I NEED MY FIX!

Replies

• ugw125
    ugw125 Posts: 28
    Options
    Oh man, I know how you feel. My mom is very over weight and doesn't take my advice to heart. I think it is something people need to realize themselves when they have that "ah-hah" moment. If anything happens, she will wish she took your advice to heart. Good luck getting through to her<3
  • cakeums
    cakeums Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Well, it's not even the advice so much that sounds annoying (I mean, I'm sure it is, but at least you can ignore it), but the fact that she is giving you total all-or-nothing advice and physically stopping you from eating things you want to. What kind of friend is that?

Anyway, I find that a nice bowl of berries (about 1/2c each of blueberries, sliced strawberries, and blackberries/raspberries/what have you) with a dollop of whipped cream is a nice dessert-ish treat.
  • cryspetstalerson
    Options
    My mom has this same issue at work. My mom will be eating healthy and there is the really big woman there, who puts down everything my mom touches. She says things like "My doctor says that is unhealthy" "I can't eat that" and my moms favorite "banana's are bad for you"

My poor mom works a job standing on her feet all day, and barely gets a chance to sit down. My mom will be doing so well on eating healthy but this just discourages her. Then the woman will want to go out to eat all the time, and my mom will have brought her own food, and the woman picks on that. Sometimes my mom will have had no time to make herself lunch, and bring a healthy choice ( yes I know prepackaged foods aren't the best) and the woman sits and picks on that. It be better for her to eat a healthy choice than the fattening mexican food the woman is always eating.
    I just feel for my mom.
  • rubygarcia86
    rubygarcia86 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    sounds to me like someone's jealous and she's pushing whatever her mother tells her on you. I understand what you mean about trying to learn to change the portions of what you eat. i think learning to do that instead of cutting things off cold turkey will help you get off of those cravings. I dedicated this month to pry myself from the soda and the beer, and i have had ONE pepsi.im pretty proud LOL anyway the point is that she is being a HATER and has some nerve to slap things out of your hand. if she really was your friend she wouldn't be bashing you she would be more supportive and helpful.
  • sexycheesemonkey
    sexycheesemonkey Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/desserts/tp/Top-Low-Carb-Desserts.htm
    good luck..I know what it's like to have someone PICK at EVERYTHING you do, it's frustrating and discouraging...but really throw the advice in her face and tell her 'if it works for you wonderful...if you're not gonna be supportive,,,,then stfu."
  • Goldenbast
    Goldenbast Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Simple response, "Excuse ,me, but when YOU are slender and eating healthy, then perhaps I will listen to you, until then, get the heck away from me and let me eat in peace." :)
  • THowes
    THowes Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    It sounds like she is worried you will become thin and healthy and she will still be fat. Don't listen to her. Keep working towards your goal!
  • Sandytoes71
    Sandytoes71 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    WHATEVER u do, do it ur way! Sounds like u r going to have to tell ur friend that enough is enough. Stand up for urself. U deserve to. Advice is one thing, but trying to shove it down ur throat is another. This friend of urs needs to stop being so ugly about her approach and u might have to get ugly back. U do this how u want to because no one knows u better than u.
  • skinney1357
    Options
    I have someone like this at work. She used to eat lunch with us and tell us how we should eat. She is about 350 pounds and we wouldn't even be talking about diet or exercise or anything. It got so bad that everyone stopped eating lunch together just to eat in peace without her. She is still 350 and I lost almost 40 pounds, so don't let them bring you down. Just avoid them until you have figured it all out on your own.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    she obviously know how to diet......but you are not dieting, you are changing your lifestyle. I would say, if you still want to be friend with her, is not talking about this with her. People like that are energy vampire .
  • maryjay51
    maryjay51 Posts: 742
    Options
    i think she is in denial with herself and does not realize she is that obese
  • mlks2012
    Options
    Of course your friend has issues and she is the only one that can care more about herself to lose weight the right way. There is SO MUCH out there, information wise, that she is confused. And maybe scared to try!
  • whoiskat23
    whoiskat23 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Oh and to answer your question... I believe in moderation, and have learned to just weigh and watch my portions. For a treat though that is not too bad in calories and gets your fruits in, you can blend together 1 cup of frozen strawberries, 1/2 cup of pineapple, and 2 oz. of coconut milk. About 213calories, depending on what kind of coconut milk you use. To me it taste just like strawberry sorbet.
  • mlks2012
    Options
    You may need to try and distance yourself a little from this person. That may seem harsh, but she is not a supportive person and you do not want to thwart your efforts.

She is a piece of work, but you have to think about what is best for you.
  • Hmrjmr1
    Hmrjmr1 Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    A misguided 'friend' You are welcome to friend me and check out my diary for some low cal and carb lifestyle options.
  • Tenoreo90
    Tenoreo90 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Dear god totally know what you mean. This obese woman I work with likes to post things on facebook like (I kid you not) "Calories don't make you fat, idiots! Fat makes you fat!" Another overweight woman constantly talks about Dr. Oz's latest bull like it was some hard-earned knowledge of hers, all while chugging down regular Pepsi. ><!
  • missyont
    Options
    Ignorance *sigh*
  • kalepowered
    kalepowered Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Honestly, you either need to sit down with her & have a heart-to-heart about how her behavior (constantly putting your weight loss efforts down, preaching to you about her opinions, physically throwing your food out) is not at ALL okay, and that she either needs to change or your contact is going to be extremely limited, or... just cut her out without attempting to talk to her (it depends on how much you value the other aspects of your friendship). Trying to change your lifestyle in any way is a Big Deal, and especially if you're trying to lose weight & make healthy decisions you CANNOT have someone like this sucking all the energy & motivation out of you. She's only hampering your efforts and pissing you off.
  • Klein1475
    Klein1475 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I am sorry but that does not sound like the supportive "friend" you need... I agree with the energy vampire thing... Unfortunately, those kind of people suck the life out of you... If there was some way that you could politely tell her to follow her own mother's advice instead of pushing it on you that would be great... I just don't know how to word it without sounding really rude unless you are not worried about telling her "how the cow ate the cabbage" as my dad use to say...
  • Adrikimb
    Options
    A good friend is like a good bra--supportive and uplifting. She is neither.