Why are some so desperate.........................

Options

Replies

• gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    My co-worker is taking those Body by Vi shakes. I'm waiting for him to start talking about how great they are so I can ask him a few questions.
  • emrys1976
    emrys1976 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    because they're desperate. desperate people do irrational things.
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    crazy enough to work
  • paulcer
    paulcer Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Why is it that most of these threads end up talking about how stupid everyone else is?
  • kimberlyh1784
    kimberlyh1784 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It doesn't help that the celebrities are "doing the fad diets" as well. People see that and see how good they look, and expect the same results, immediately.
  • capaxinfiniti
    capaxinfiniti Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    It doesn't help that the celebrities are "doing the fad diets" as well. People see that and see how good they look, and expect the same results, immediately.

Yes, exactly. And they neglect to mention that they have their own personal trainers or have people that prepare meals for them.
  • godricshollow
    godricshollow Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I don't think people are stupid and it's unfair to call them that when every time they turn on the TV there are commercials for the latest gadgets, and this isn't a newfound thing, this has been happening for years. So needless to say, a lot of people who aren't educated when it comes to weight loss, truly believe that the ab circle pro will give them abs of steel and solve all their weight problems.

I know how frustrating it is when you have a friend or family member telling you that they're going on this all new juice cleansing diet that will help them lose 50 pounds in a week and give them a lean, toned body for life etc. etc. but I think, like proper diet and exercise, educating these people takes time. You have to basically tell them that everything they believe in is a bunch of crap. It isn't something they're going to learn and process as soon as you tell them.

To be honest I think it is kind of sad that it's 2012 and we know so much about the body and yet all of this is still happening :(
  • carissaharkins
    carissaharkins Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Everyone wants a quick fix. Been there, done that. I've bought silly machines, pills, shakes, etc.

I've finally had the self realization that I need to make the changes for myself. These things can't make those changes for me.

Took the words out of my mouth. Ive tried it all.....and I have never been more satisfied with the "hard" way! Its the best and ONLY real way people! It changes lives, all you have to do is TRY. That is what I have learned
  • hausofnichele
    hausofnichele Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I think the majority of us have all 'been there, done that' and that is what brings us all here. It's a shame that people keep falling for gimmicks but everyone has to start somewhere. Hopefully if they want it badly enough they will eventually come to the realization that it all boils down to diet and exercise. Plain and simple.

I guess it just SEEMS so difficult to lose weight that some who are just starting their journeys think that losing the weight MUST be really difficult as well. I mean, it IS tough but the concept is simple.
  • OSC_ESD
    OSC_ESD Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I think alot of people look to these " types " of diets due to lack of nutrition knowledge. They want to eat the right amount of calories and get proper nutrition without having to go the extra mile and learn what healthy eating is all about. Unfortunately after a few weeks of milkshakes, smoothies or whatever the diet is they follow ... their body will send vast amounts of warnings that it is starving for real food ... Only problem is, they have no idea what real food is and fall victim to bad habits and usually gain the weight lost back again and sometimes a few extra pounds. A vicious circle and a multi billion dollar industry.
  • Goofy076
    Goofy076 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    As embarrassing as it is I probably feel for all of those at least twice before waking up to reality :'
  • carissaharkins
    carissaharkins Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Why is it that most of these threads end up talking about how stupid everyone else is?

EXACTLY. People need to stop hating, thats down right rude. And I am sure some of you have tried at least one of the stupid diet fads. This place is here to help others not bash them. Those people might be ignorant on the subject but not stupid.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    I never understood, but I do now. My weight has gone up and down the same five pounds since the beginning of July. My clothes keep getting tighter. I've tried eating less, more, changed my workout routine, added more protein, cut carbs. You name it, I've done it and NOTHING. So, a "magic" pill or whatever sounds pretty good to me.

And, yes, had a physical and all is perfect.

Diet and exercise have failed me. Now what?
    Have you been getting enough rest? That alone would keep you from losing weight.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    What's frustrating to me is the people who are on MFP for 2 weeks and give up because they lost 2 pounds and gained one back. It's not fast enough for them I guess, but that's the way it worked for me. It was slow, two steps forward, one step back, but it was steady and I've been on maintenance for several months now. This works! You just need patience and self-control. :flowerforyou:
  • ohnogogo
    ohnogogo Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Body by Vi is really growing i think :P

I'm not sure why so many fall for it. Like the shakes and such are going to make you lose more weight.. even when you have the same about of calories? I don't get it.

Someone at the gym gave me a sample of that crap today. It mysteriously ended up in the garbage...where it belongs.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    u mad cause the Giants are stylin' on you?
    It took 93 plays to get 20pts. Manning had the WORST passing per avg ever in his life. They basically got shut down the second half. Luck fell the Giants way that night. Can't be mad because I only expected a winning season. Making the NFC Championship was icing on the cake. I like our chances next year and know that the D will dominate again.
    You want to talk football, then PM me.

Now that you hijacked, I'll put it back on track.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    SOOOOOO ... does that include:

Medifast
    WeightWatchers
    Jenny Craig
    E-diets?
    Yes. They are "diets". You HAVE to buy them to succeed. Once many leave they gain weight and then RETURN to the program again.
    It's no different than doing other diets that are short term to reach a goal.
    Unless you're Marie Osmond or Jennifer Hudson (who are probably getting free food the rest of their life from Nutrisystem and Weight Watchers) the cost to continue just to feed yourself (unless you're really well off and can afford it) isn't likely. Which means when you return to real life, the odds are you will regain.
    It's a lifestyle change and unless the above is your lifestyle change it's just a temporary fix.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I don't really want to promote it and I don't remember the name but it is an actual diet run by a certain clinic (I think it's a chain). You would eat the cookies prescribed by the clinic through the day and then eat a "sensible" meal at dinner. All the DJ's on one of the local radio stations were doing it about a year or two ago.
    I have cookies in my diet. Mrs. Field macadamia/chocolate chip. Not everyday, but one a week won't derail you.

IDEA Fitness member
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options

EXACTLY. People need to stop hating, thats down right rude. And I am sure some of you have tried at least one of the stupid diet fads. This place is here to help others not bash them. Those people might be ignorant on the subject but not stupid.
    :flowerforyou: I know I went through many silly diets before I made my way here over the years. I think sometimes we forget Jan. brings many new folks that are looking to get healthier. When I came here and didn't know even where to start on the site, so many were helpful and welcoming, I wish that for all new comers here:drinker: :heart:

For myself, it made it so much easier to realize I was being accepted even though I was starting a new way of life, no diets this round, but changing my habits and making this a lifetime change. But it took me many years to realize what doesn't work and just the right moment in my life for it all to click and come together for me.

I'm grateful there were so many patient members when I joined and I thank everyone for that who was there for me and be--friended me. :happy:

ETA: I agree many of us have tried methods we might never consider now or recommend but I agree with the poster that suggested it was ignorance (ignorance means = lack of knowledge) not stupidity.
  • Hoosier_born
    Options
    to the Op, what is your take on Lap Banding and surgery?
    I have had four friends with success on this, particularly the sleeviing, they are now within a healthy weight range, and have kept it off for years.