Brutal Honesty - What was the final straw?

Options

Replies

• HalloweenGirl7
    HalloweenGirl7 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    The stewardess embarassing the daylights out of me about a seat belt extender!!

That is horribly rude!
    You're progress is amazing btw!
  • a6ftdiva
    a6ftdiva Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I totally bottomed out Oct 30th 2011. I took my 11 year old daughter for her first trip to Great Adventure in NJ during fright fest... (place was packed!)... I was mortified that many of the rides were difficult to get into for me... final straw came when I went to pull the lap bar down on my favorite ride, El Toro and it wouldnt lock. they had 2 attendants com and push REALLY hard with all their body weight and it took several attempts to get the bar to lock... they almost gave up and were talking about me getting off the ride...

I almost died sitting there with the platform completely packed with gawkers staring at me and being frustrated that I was delaying the ride...

I was more sad for my daughter who was clearly upset that it had happend. We were able to stay on that ride, but I will never allow that to happen again. I have a season pass for this summer and I'll be damned if I will let that happen again!
  • HalloweenGirl7
    HalloweenGirl7 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I was tired of coming home from a shopping trip in tears and empty handed with no clothes cuz their weren't any in my size.
  • kealey1318
    kealey1318 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I went to Cancun with my husband. While there we planned on me getting to do what I'd always wanted to, swim with the dolphins... While I don't ride roller coasters because of the fear that they will say I'm too big, I knew the people who sold me the ticket to swim with the dolphins could see me. There were no weight restrictions posted and when they fitted me for my life vest, I was in a Large (when they went up to 3X). So, time for me to have my 2 second dorsal 'ride'. They ask me to swim to the center for my turn, then they wait, then they call me to come back and wait some more. They finished everyone else, then came to tell me I was too large and they were afraid I would hurt their dolphin. I was humiliated, stunned, shocked, depressed... Here I was in paradise and all I wanted to do was fall off the face of the planet. :o( At that point I was 240 pounds (where I am now actually) so I guess not the 'final straw' but close enough. It was a real awakening...
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    I was busting out of my latest size of biggest-pants-ever, took a family trip to a cabin in the mountains and my 4 year old got ahold of our digital camera and started snapping photos (hundreds of them). I clicked through them and basically deleted almost every photo of me, hated how I looked no matter if it was candid or not. That's when I got serious, like the next week when we got home. One of those awful photos actually survived, it's the one I'll use as my 'before' when I finally get brave enough to post a before/after post on here.
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    It was seeing myself in my best friend's wedding photos (which she'll have FOR-EVER!!) and realizing that I was SO uncomfortable wearing my own clothes, being in a room with other people. I was becoming just a shade of my former self. It had to stop.

And it did :) I'm NEVER going to feel that uncomfortable in my own skin again!
  • kealey1318
    kealey1318 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    When I got married 7 yrs ago I would wear my husband t-shirts as a long PJ. Recently he made fun of me and he tried one of my jeans, not only they did fit him, they looked better on him than me, more leg space, overall much better. I wanted to cry, it was a very bad feeling. After trying my pants on he wanted also to be brutally honest and asked for a divorce. I realized then that in order to be a better single parent I need to lose the weight, gain my self esteem back. I want to stick around longer for my son and be with him hopefully another 20 years. I want to be able to run with him and be able to play with him outdoors a lot not just sitting on the side.
    Please add me as a friend if you have a similar story and you need more people to help you out thru this journey.

I'm sorry but he sounds like a Jack *kitten*... You are a strong woman and don't deserve that treatment. :o)
  • BrenChick
    Options
    d
  • ellyvortex
    Options
    I'm not sure, really. I've said "That's it! No more! It's time to get healthy and lose weight!" multiple times in the last ten years, only to abandon my goals after a few weeks/months. So what's different this time?

1. I live in a town in which I don't really know anyone, so I have plenty of time to exercise (is that a good thing?)
    2. My job is a great fit for me - for years at my old job I'd work super-long hours and be stressed out at home. No more!
    3. My BFF Sassy is also doing this with me. Having friends with similar goals is awesome.
    4. I'm really digging MFP and think that it'll be a great help on the journey.

Just to be a brat, I'll say that I 99.99% quit smoking by saying "Ya know what? I think I'm done." and quitting cold turkey. There's a part of me that wishes quitting other unhealthiness was just that easy...but it's not. It's an uphill battle, but I'm going to do it. For me! For the horde! For Frodo! For Narnia! For everyone!! etc.
  • eellis2000
    eellis2000 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    bump for pages 4+
  • LindsayHein
    LindsayHein Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I teach music at an elementary school. In the matter of a month I had three different kids on three seperate occasions call me fat. You know when a 5 year old says it, there's no denying it. That was my final straw!
  • muthrb
    muthrb Posts: 16
    Options
    When my newly engaged daughter told me she was afraid that I would not be alive for her wedding.
  • rach198823
    Options
    Mine was a mixture of things. I started working in Topshop 3 years ago. We had to wear their clothes as uniform. I hated the fact my colleagues could wear the clothes that I would have loved to try. My boss at the time was on a health kick and decided to join her. I lost about 2 stone. Therefore getting the chance to wear the clothes I liked.

My sister is also dramatically overweight and diabetic. My Dad also has problems with his weight which as caused a stroke and diabetes. This gives me the motivation to carry on as I know I can easily be the danger zone with my history.
  • RUN2CJ
    RUN2CJ Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Buying clothes really sucks; especially when what you think you look like doesn't match the clothes numbers that you want to try on... in addition, I decided to audition for a professional cheerleading team. After being under that microscope I realized that I no longer looked the way I did after graduating college when I was a college athlete... My mother kept warning me that things would change as I got older but what did she know!!! Grumpy old lady!!!!

Now I am almost 30 and I had better start listening to mama!
  • escadachic
    escadachic Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    For me. It was being totally disgusted at what I saw in the mirror. Having to also wear only maternity clothes, as that's the only clothes that fit. And discovering breastfeeding wasn't a wonder cure for weight loss.

I always find being anything above 55kgs hard to handle. As I spent most of my teenage years and 20's sitting around 50-55kgs. So I have a hard time being ok with being a bit wobbly in areas. I'm used to being slim. So anything other then slim, doesn't sit well with me.
  • kristinhills90
    kristinhills90 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    For me it was a number of things.

1.) Seeing myself in pictures.
    2.) The fact that my husband weighed less than me (even though it was only by a few lbs and we are the same height. Still sucked.)
    3.) Seeing the scale get to 262!! Right then I realized that if I kept up my eating habits/no exercise I would be 300 lbs in no time. That is what really did it for me.
    4.) Oh, and realizing that I needed a size 24 in jeans! :(
  • HOWDY11
    HOWDY11 Posts: 23
    Options
    I have fought my weight for along time but kept it in check. 3 yrs ago I got a call from my parentws doctor telling me that I didn't have a year with either one of them. I was determined to take care of them. My wonderful husband and I moved them from Arkansas to Colorado with us and I quit me job to take care of them. The one thing they loved was food and I love to cook, and I did ALOT!!!! It will soon be a year that my dad is gone and 1 1/2 yrs for mom. I had packed on nearly 65 lbs. and the truth is I probly was 25 lbs overweight before they moved in. I finally got motivated in April when I had no clothes that fit. I've lost 35 lbs since then and have really hit a stall. I found this site today and love it! I'm looking for friends to keep me motivated and me to motivate as well. My name is Tamie and would love to have more friends. :flowerforyou:
  • rm830
    rm830 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Had been "dieting" my whole life, but the final straw was when my friend passed away, at 27 bc of a heart attack. She was really big, and I saw a lot of myself in her. I saw myself heading in the same direction and "woke up".
  • 30tips
    30tips Posts: 132
    Options
    When the doctor said that I had to do cardio for half an hour every day to improve my respiratory system, that was the last straw... that plus the fact that I had reached my highest weight ever
  • MJ7910
    MJ7910 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    nothing medical. just couldn't believe how out of shape i was and i really wanted to change it. was tired of having to cover myself up all the time and having to be embarrassed by my stomach.