Brutal Honesty - What was the final straw?

Options

Replies

• shellyrsmith22
    Options
    I was at home in December 2011. It was only 4 months after my wedding and I had some how gained 20 lbs from work related stress and over eating. One day my father in law casual said to me, "Hey Shell, You big girl, how you doing?" and also during the week home on a couple occasions he asked me if I got enough to eat. To be honest, I think he might have thought and hoped I was possibly pregnant, and I know he didn't say it out of spite, but it was just the final straw.
  • Chanels_mom
    Chanels_mom Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Seeing myself heading towards 400 lbs! Wanting to be happier. Tired of how life treated me for my weight. People definitely discriminate against heavy people. I'm not as heavy as I was but I still get mistreated and judged. Looking at photos of myself, almost to the end of the in-store plus size range. Couldn't see myself being a 5x or 6x or not being able to shop anywhere for clothes. Would have been bad, really bad. After size 32, the clothes seem to get frumpier and frumpier. You have to buy sweaters with cats on them, twinsets, solid colors, no style at all! Catherine's is the WORST clothing store. They turn plus size women into grandmas, and they are TOO expensive.

I totally relate to this post. There are so many on here that I agree with but I must say that this stuck out and hit home the most. I personally want to become a better person. I have always been the quiet voice because of low self esteem due to my physical appearance. Over the years I've added more and more fat to my body because of depression about my weight. This year I want to finally live to my full potential and be HAPPY.
  • moonlightturk
    Options
    Not being referred to as cute but fat girl.. "Oh your face is pretty" instead "damn you're sexy!"
  • haddawaygirl
    haddawaygirl Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    My friend was diagnosed with cancer and her life is going to end far too soon. I stopped and realized that I didn't want to spend the rest of my life hiding. My weight has kept me from enjoying my self and my family. A year and half ago, I was so embarrassed about my weight that I walked around on a torn Achilles tendon for a month because I was afraid the doctor would judge me. How whacked is that!
    My life starts now!
  • Hersery
    Options
    I look at myself and see that my stomach sticks out I can't fit into my clothes and I cant afford to buy more what do I do loose the weight. Need motivation I don't like excrise, and I do love myself just need to fit in my clothes so frustrating. So here I am trying this for a little motivation the rest is uo to me.
  • TracyP111
    Options
    For me, it was trying to get on one of my favorite rides. The dang thing didn't even want to click, I got off the ride with everyone staring at me, and cried. :cry:

It helped me realize how big I was.

I've been here too. But what finally did it for me was finding out I had gestational diabetes with my second child. After he was born my blood sugar did not go back to normal. I'm pre-diabetic. I realized I could end up like my mom at 500 pounds, type 2 diabetes, high bp, can't even walk across the room without losing her breath....and that wasn't going to happen to me. I'm much more motivated than I've been in a long time. MFP has been a lifesaver--literally!
  • Superbritt2drescu
    Superbritt2drescu Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I think for me, it was when my new fat jeans had become fit, then snug. I looked over and my husband and said lets do it. And now we are doing it. We each work out around 4-5 times a week and cut out coke, and other junk food. :)
  • JanieJack
    JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    I work out almost every day, as you'll soon see here, and run races and am very active... so...

I never realized that I developed a belly til I saw pictures of myself at my friends going away party. Even when I was bigger I'd always had a nice hourglass figure...but NOW there was this spare tire roll poking out around my jeans. Whaaaaaat?
  • JanieJack
    JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    My last post was about what recently motivated me to step up my game and join this site...

What originally got me into working out and being healthier years ago (as vain as this sounds) is that I lost a substantial amount of weight one time, for my job, and was amazed at how much better my (then) husband and other people treated me.

Now I am motivated by how many of my friends are having health issues and getting on medication. I don't want that. I want to enjoy my retirement.
  • ShrinkRapt451
    ShrinkRapt451 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    It's been building for years (weight creep up to 265, gestational diabetes, not wanting to play with my kids because I tired too easily, etc), but the thing that really did it was having to re-enroll for health care. New plan penalizes you for obesity (higher premiums). It didn't make me mad. It got my butt in gear. Hubby jumped on the train, too. And I hope that my 6 year old, who is overweight, will slim down as well as she gets taller.
  • barbiebarkley
    Options
    for me it was things kije not being able to tie my shoes or cut my toe nails and i went to six flags and could not ride the rides,and i was sick of being out of breath!!!
  • squidgely
    squidgely Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    mine was realising that I couldnt get away with wearing my maternity cothes forever! I had to either lose the weight or accept the fact that I was now a bigger girl and buy new clothes to fit. I didnt have loads to lose (about 2 stone) but it was pretty clear 6 onths after having my baby that the fat wasnt going anywhere unless I did some diet and exercise.
    x
  • MissGatekeeper
    Options
    A combination of things.. A 12 hour busride where my knee was in horrible pain the whole trip just because I'd walked too much before! :o The realization that my children quite possibly would be bullied over having a fat mother. My oldest son getting an diagnose within the Autism Spectrum, forcing me to realize I might at some point have a very strong teenager with the mind of a two year old boy, and that he might actually end up hurting me during his meltdowns if I'm not in shape and stronger. And also, realizing how low my energy level was, and how badly that fit with the level of stress I get within a day!
  • yuckidah
    yuckidah Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Barely wanting to leave the house.
    Catching sight of my reflection.
    Never allowing anyone to include me in a photo - if I die my children will have next to no pictures of me.
    Finding it impossible to feel like I look ok, and never having anything to wear.
    Turning down invitations to things I'd enjoy, just because I don't want to have to get dressed up.
    Hating myself and turning in to someone I'm not - a reclusive, anti-social, loser.
    Zero confidence. Zilch. Nada. Nought.

I could go on & on. They're no different to all the other times I've dieted of course, but this time I hope to nail it - even if it means logging my calories on MFP for the rest of my life, lol.
  • Inacay
    Inacay Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I was tired of being the VICTIM of my weight. I was hungry for SELF-EMPOWERMENT.

I am a successful business woman and college student. I am thinking about becoming a doctor and pursuing my PhD. For my age, I look good.

However, my weight has been a constant issue in my life. I eat healthy and work out, but I couldn't understand why my metabolism was slow, I was constantly hungry, and gaining weight.

For me, it was about the challenge of CONTROL and CLARITY.

I am a true believer in the spirit of leadership. In order to be a powerful leader, I need my life to reflect in my body what I feel and know in my mind and heart.
  • Aviendha_RJ
    Aviendha_RJ Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one here who says... No. Not really anything that stood out to me as being a MUST LOSE WEIGHT moment. Just... started thinking about it one day, & decided to go for it.
  • Inacay
    Inacay Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    My last post was about what recently motivated me to step up my game and join this site...

What originally got me into working out and being healthier years ago (as vain as this sounds) is that I lost a substantial amount of weight one time, for my job, and was amazed at how much better my (then) husband and other people treated me.

Now I am motivated by how many of my friends are having health issues and getting on medication. I don't want that. I want to enjoy my retirement.

I know, it's amazing how weight loss can bring that energy into our lives. For me, the FOCUS and work it takes to eat right, work out, and live right draws people that are doing the same. Aside from weight loss, the GREATER benefit is that you and I are becoming the BEST version of ourselves, we are spending time and energy with people that get that and support it. At the same time, the people that don't "get it", slowly lose the power of influence upon our lives. That value is worth EVERY SACRIFICE!
  • peacestar84
    Options
    I had been unhappy with my weight creeping higher and higher, but the real thing that got me going was a visit to my doctor. I had a gastrointestinal disorder for the past four years and it had been under control with medication. I went to the doctor because I was uncomfortable and felt swollen. Since that was a symptom of my disorder I figured the medication dosage needed changing.

I was lying in a paper gown with the doctor feeling my stomach and he says "you're not swollen, this is all fat, pushing in and up on your internal organs."
    I was horrified at the thought that my fat was damaging my insides and pushing towards my heart. I was not going to be 26 and having a heart attack brought on by my own indulgence. That morning when I left the doctors office I starting making life changes that day. I admittedly have had set backs and gained and loss, but ultimately the first 25 lbs down I felt so much better and not swollen and uncomfortable.

Excellent thread by the way.
  • Mdin1029
    Mdin1029 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    For me it was the combination of having my tight jeans, and realizing that my favorite store didn't go any higher in size. I also hated how tight my jeans were getting, especially sitting in the car and driving. I didn't really like how they bit into my stomach haha.

Same here!
  • Mdin1029
    Mdin1029 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Well, first it began with "my Hollister jeans don't fit." Those jeans were my absolute favorite; they did wonders for my butt. (sorry if it's too much information) And knowing that they used to be sorta loose on me, I knew I was gaining weight. I threw them aside, wore my other jeans, and continued eating my usual fast food. Then my work pants which I had to wear a belt to keep up started getting TIGHT. Yet, I still kept eating and wearing these tight work pants. Recently, I've been through a lot of emotional distress, which involved losing some really good friends of mine. I decided that I could work off of my emotions and gain the confidence and self esteem that I have lost lately because of recent events. Otherwise, my emotions are going to cause me to keep "emotionally eating" and get to an extremely high weight where nothing of mine will fit anymore.

Very similar for me!