once a cheater always a cheater - true or false?

Options
fatty2fabby
fatty2fabby Posts: 415 Member
False for me. I'm going to be 100% honest - at the beginning of my relationship I did cheat on my boyfriend. I confessed this to him and we moved on. I was young and stupid. I still am young and stupid but I learnt A LOT from what I did and would never do it to anyone ever again. We're 4 months away from our 6 year anniversary and I've been nothing but faithful since that day.

Replies

• kirbykez
    kirbykez Posts: 122
    Options
    False
  • KimmieBrie
    KimmieBrie Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Doing stupid things as a teenager is expected. You were about 16 when this happened? I can see that... who hasn't done stupid things as a teenager??

For me - a married adult - if my husband cheated on me it really wouldn't matter because I wouldn't stay around to find out.
    We're adults. It's a choice. Cheating is a disrespecting, dishonorable, selfish, cowardly choice.

If a person is so weak that they're willing to potentially sacrifice their relationship or family for a cheap thrill, they should not be in a committed relationship.

If a person is so miserable in their current relationship they enter into a full fledged affair - they should have left the bad relationship.

My view as a 39 year old woman is: There is no justification for cheating. It means that you are weak of moral character and cowardly. Chances are you'll stay that way too.
  • KathieElisa
    Options
    False. I have been with my current boyfriend on and off since i turned 17 (20 going on 21 now). Not to say we cheated on each other but on our "off times" we both did whatever we wanted to thinking we werent getting back together. Then ended up together again. Well, my point is i would be stupid to think that starting a relationship in high school we would live out our lives without ever being with anyone else. Im not saying its right but we are human when your so young in a serious relationship *kitten* happens and you have no choice but to learn from it and move on. You live and you learn. Im sure your relationship is stronger after moving on from that.
  • La_Amazona
    La_Amazona Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    I always say there are 2 types of cheaters...

One type cheats like there's no tomorrow. You can say they don't have a conscious. They do it for whatever reason and usually don't think about the consequences. These cheaters I'd say will always be cheaters. It's a condition of the heart. Even if they physically stop cheating, they'll always play around with the idea. They'll enjoy playing with fire w/o the burn.

Then there are the cheaters who make the biggest mistake of their life. They're remorseful, they're disgusted with themselves and will do anything to make it right. These usually will never cheat again because they're terrified at the hurt they caused. Also, these folks will stay away from anything remotely close to cheating because they know how easy the slippery slope is. These are cheaters who once were.. but not always will be.
  • elgo1819
    Options
    I was a notorious cheater when I was in High School, but I kinda think that's a coming-of-age thing. I have since learned the errors of my ways, when I grew up quite a bit. It's a teenage thing.
  • ruggedBear
    Options
    Tough question with lots of situational variables, but if we're talking about mature adults who have outgrown the "date more than one person at a time" attitude of high school or college - I think for some, it could be a careless mistake that they sorely regret. For others, it's a habit like any other and they either have the self discipline to break it or they don't.

Early in a relationship there can often be misunderstanding about the expectation of monogamy - the earlier this question is discussed, the more clear the consequences.

I've been married 15 years, and have been with my husband for 17 years now. He knows there are only two reasons I would ever leave: physical abuse or infidelity. In my mind, they're equally devastating and wouldn't ever warrant a second chance.
  • justle
    justle Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    always cheated as a teen (no not proud) never even looked at another guy since i met my husband in 2003 :)
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    pretty sure you can't throw anyone that's ever cheated into one of the two camps.

it's like saying "men are pigs" or "women are sh*tty drivers"

far too dumb of a statement.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    pretty sure you can't throw anyone that's ever cheated into one of the two camps.

^ I agree with this aside from the part about women driving.

;)
  • chicklidell
    Options

I totally agree with this!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I think this statement is true for some, but not all.

A friend of mine cheated on her husband exactly one time. She's never told him. It would have (and probably still would) blown up their family. But it's been 10 years and she never did it again.
  • onefitdiva
    onefitdiva Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I always say there are 2 types of cheaters...

One type cheats like there's no tomorrow. You can say they don't have a conscious. They do it for whatever reason and usually don't think about the consequences. These cheaters I'd say will always be cheaters. It's a condition of the heart. Even if they physically stop cheating, they'll always play around with the idea. They'll enjoy playing with fire w/o the burn.

Then there are the cheaters who make the biggest mistake of their life. They're remorseful, they're disgusted with themselves and will do anything to make it right. These usually will never cheat again because they're terrified at the hurt they caused. Also, these folks will stay away from anything remotely close to cheating because they know how easy the slippery slope is. These are cheaters who once were.. but not always will be.

^^^^^ This.
  • Jipples
    Jipples Posts: 663 Member
    Options

"men are pigs"

I always find this funny when I hear this......in my experience, women are as bad, or worse, than men. Jus sayin....
  • charlieduc
    Options
    I hope false. I am not a cheater, but have been cheated on! I think it was his way of dealing with a tough time in our relationship. Not to mention that some only want what they can't really ever completely have. This amazes me. People can be dogs all on their own...Don't help them out!
  • BettyyRoss
    BettyyRoss Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    False.
    Everyone is capable of changing their ways, that's just my belief though.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    Not sure what the statistics would be; it may be more true than false. In my paerticular case, I am going to say False.

I'm married to my 4th wife. I've had many relationships in my life.

I have to say that I cheated on every woman I ever had a relationship or marriage to, until I met Jan. I have been with her for 23 years now and never strayed once.

I'm not sure if it's because I'm older now and less attractive or if Jan is the only woman that still likes me, but I have never cheated on her and I am 100% sure I never will. Flirt like crazy, occasionally make inappropriate comments, but I will never betray her trust.
  • Trail_Addict
    Trail_Addict Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options

^ I agree with this aside from the part about women driving.

;)

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • meltygarden
    meltygarden Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    False. But as with most things, it depends on a lot of factors. Such as whether the relationship is meeting everyone's needs, and whether the people IN the relationship are fully in touch with themselves and their emotions/motivations.
  • mrmarius
    mrmarius Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    all depends on the person. ive seen some cheat and never do it again and ive seen some that seem to not be happy unless they are cheating
  • brittanyjeanxo
    brittanyjeanxo Posts: 1,831 Member
    Options
    It really does depend. For me, I'd be too disgusted with myself for cheating that I don't think I'd ever do it again. Like a lot of other people that posted, when I was a teenager...well, I guess technically I still am, but when I was a much younger teenager, I did cheat on a boyfriend once, and lied about it, too. I didn't really consider it cheating what I was doing, but it had turned out that my bf at the time did, so I guess it was. Anyway, even though both of those guys never amounted to anything, and are total *kitten*, I still feel bad about what I did. It was a sleezy thing to do. Since I met my fiance two years ago, though, I haven't even been attracted to another man. I just haven't gotten the urge to look because I like what I have right here. So, no, once a cheater, not always a cheater.