Is this possible? 911 calorie burn in 80 minutes?

Options
13»

Replies

• carlosdon
    carlosdon Posts: 125
    Options
    ever played squash? you can do that an hour easy!
  • shedoos
    shedoos Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    HA! I have a fitbit but don't wear it for strength training because it's inaccurate for anything other than walking/running.

Guess I'll just stick to the estimates :)
  • mbilling
    mbilling Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    lolz.
  • tuffytuffy1
    tuffytuffy1 Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    Ugh, I have been using my Polar FT4 to log all of my personal training sessions which start with intense cardio. I had no idea it is not accurate for strength training:cry: No wonder my weight loss has stalled, I eat back those calories and I'm probably overeating at this point.

Can someone explain in baby terms why it is not accurate for strength training? Today my hair was soaking wet and sweat was flying off my face from my PT session, which is much more than what happens when I am doing cardio.
  • sandiki
    sandiki Posts: 454
    Options
    possible yes, but if you HRM said that then you probably didn't burn that many, HRM's are not accurate when it comes to strength training. The calculation used assumes a certain oxygen uptake that only occurs during cardio. So while you were lifting your HR does go up but your HR assumes it is going up due to the same physiological factors that cause it to go up during steady state cardio, which it does not, and will over estimate your burn for everything other than cardio.

I don't want to hijack the thread - and I absolutely believe you on this - but I'm wondering the most accurate way to account for your burn when strength training?

That is a great question. I am not 100% sure, but I would probably want to use a bodybugg or fitbit to get a better estimate than an HRM.

http://journals.lww.com/nsca-jscr/Abstract/2009/08000/Validation_of_Heart_Rate_Monitor_Based_Predictions.18.aspx

^^Here is some info you may want to read up on. If you notice...HRM are failrly accurate but they do not "over estimate"..infact they under estimate.. No matter what the exertion done to sustain a elevated heart rate....the heart has been exercised either by cardio or via strength training.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    stuck at work for New Years eve. No one around and I work graveyard hours so I went outside to jog the hills and stairs near my workplace. I wanted to see how long it would take me to burn 2012 calories
    2012-01-01_03-02-12_416.jpg
    I tried to be cute and have it read 2012 calories burned but my stupid heart wouldn't stop beating to have it read that.
  • Tara4boys
    Tara4boys Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    You said you checked it when you got home... did you still have it on during the ride home??? Your HR will still be elevated but I wouldn't count that as part of my "exercise"
  • ursula0601k
    ursula0601k Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    911 calories.

Never Forget.

bwahahaha. it took me a second. lol.
  • Iamkim73
    Iamkim73 Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    I have been using my HRM foe a while. I find I burn about 10 cal per min on average. And more if I'm going hard.
  • _Kitten_Kate
    _Kitten_Kate Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    stuck at work for New Years eve. No one around and I work graveyard hours so I went outside to jog the hills and stairs near my workplace. I wanted to see how long it would take me to burn 2012 calories
    2012-01-01_03-02-12_416.jpg
    I tried to be cute and have it read 2012 calories burned but my stupid heart wouldn't stop beating to have it read that.

LOL.. tooo cute!
  • _Kitten_Kate
    _Kitten_Kate Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    possible yes, but if you HRM said that then you probably didn't burn that many, HRM's are not accurate when it comes to strength training. The calculation used assumes a certain oxygen uptake that only occurs during cardio. So while you were lifting your HR does go up but your HR assumes it is going up due to the same physiological factors that cause it to go up during steady state cardio, which it does not, and will over estimate your burn for everything other than cardio.

I don't want to hijack the thread - and I absolutely believe you on this - but I'm wondering the most accurate way to account for your burn when strength training?

That is a great question. I am not 100% sure, but I would probably want to use a bodybugg or fitbit to get a better estimate than an HRM.

http://journals.lww.com/nsca-jscr/Abstract/2009/08000/Validation_of_Heart_Rate_Monitor_Based_Predictions.18.aspx

^^Here is some info you may want to read up on. If you notice...HRM are failrly accurate but they do not "over estimate"..infact they under estimate.. No matter what the exertion done to sustain a elevated heart rate....the heart has been exercised either by cardio or via strength training.

Would love to read that article... but you have to be a "subscriber" or "member".
  • sandiki
    sandiki Posts: 454
    Options
    Read the abstract..it is the final results of the research..you don't need to be a member to read or see the abstract.