Why do most people eat egg whites?

Options

Replies

• jrlittle9
    Options
    This is a pretty good summary. Eat the whole thing! no yolks is from the 70's and the mis-information about cholesterol in foods.

http://www.thehealthyboy.com/2010/07/are-egg-yolks-make-bad-for-you.html
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    It is one thing to not eat the yolks because you don't like them. It's even cool to use a mixture of whole eggs to egg whites so you can bulk up your servings without the added calories. What gets to me though is that if you are avoiding them because of just calories then you are missing out on healthy fats and nutrients that are good for you.

Also, the cholesterol in eggs being "bad" is a myth. Unless you have underlying preexisting cholesterol issues, there is no reason to be afraid of an egg yolk.
  • LilacDreamer
    LilacDreamer Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    Red: But the yellow part is the baby bird. That's the part I wanna eat.
    Far from "always" being the case. My hens lay eggs just fine without roosters around, they produce roughly an egg per day each whether there is a rooster around to "complete" it or not. Silly city and not wanting roosters but allow the neighbours dogs to bark all night long.

Besides the cholesterol thing is so 80's of an attitude:) 90's was low fat, 00's has been low carb and I'm not sure in the 10's as yet which one we're running with though there's still tons of no-fat product around.

ETA - thanks for deciding what lunch was, 3 large egg omelet with a load of cayenne pepper and red chili pepper flakes and an ounce of cheese.

Actually that's a 70s attitude....since it's a QUOTE from That 70s show. Geez....lighten up a little. It makes me laugh. Laughing is good.

But it's slightly amusing that you felt the need to chastise and preach, because i posted a quote from a tv show.

Regarding cholesterol, mine was 120 when I had it checked a few months ago :)
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 Member
    Options
    what's a quote from the "70's show" ? the thing you posted at least twice starting with "red?"

it generally comes up every time eggs are brought up about "the yolk being that" so I contributed a bit of info.

I do wonder if cholesterol was the 70's or 80's though, I remember it being big in the 80's as eggs were evil but who knows I was about 10... and certainly don't remember the 70;s
  • LilacDreamer
    LilacDreamer Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    what's a quote from the "70's show" ? the thing you posted at least twice starting with "red?"

it generally comes up every time eggs are brought up about "the yolk being that" so I contributed a bit of info.

I do wonder if cholesterol was the 70's or 80's though, I remember it being big in the 80's as eggs were evil but who knows I was about 10... and certainly don't remember the 70;s

Yes, Red is "Red forman"

Kitty Forman: Here you are, Red. Breakfast, egg whites only.
    Red Forman: But the yellow part's the baby bird. That's the part I want to eat!

I don't remember the 70s either, but that's probably because I wasn't alive.
  • keiraev
    keiraev Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    Egg whites are bland and tasteless IMO - whole eggs all the way they are extremely good for you and unless you have been diagnosed with high cholesterol and been told not to eat the yolk then there is absolutely no reason not to eat eggs every day.

Personally I don't eat more than 2 or 3 at a time, and like someone else said there's only 70/80 in a medium egg anyway. An omelette is one of the most filling meals you can have- keeps me full for hours!
  • Aperture_Science
    Aperture_Science Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Well there was this belief that dietary cholesterol is bad for you, but it has been disproven. Although the myth still perpetuates throughout the media.

great post: Spot on.
  • jamie_charlene
    jamie_charlene Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Well, good everyone has their own opinion! I love the whole egg myself!
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    Well there was this belief that dietary cholesterol is bad for you, but it has been disproven. Although the myth still perpetuates throughout the media.

^^ This
  • sufikitkat
    sufikitkat Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    For me, its the simple fact that they are easier for me to handle eating. I really dislike the taste of eggs and that specific taste I can't stand is mostly in the yolk. So, egg whites are a way for me to eat eggs a little easier. I still need to add ketchup though. I don't know why, but eggs are one food item I just cannot get over pickiness with!
  • cutiekaylaa
    Options
    I believe it's healthier, but personally I just don't like the yolks.
  • NManty
    NManty Posts: 2
    Options
    From what I understand the Yoke has some fat and calories. I agree with you, the yoke adds the flavor and is the reason why I would eat an egg.

To help get on the bandwagon with the others, I may an omelet with one whole egg and two egg whites. Still get the taste but not all of the yokes.
  • rhouser9021
    Options
    i got this from http://nutritiondata.self.com/

one whole egg of 243g= 347 calories and 24g fat
    egg whites to equal 243g=117 calories and 0g fat

make your choice :happy:

to me 24g of fat equals an average of 3 meals worth of fat

I looked this up, and those measurements are for 4 eggs (1 cup of eggs). Just so it's clear. Didn't think an egg was almost 400 calories lol!
  • Thindown
    Thindown Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I don't think eggs have 24 g of fat, more like 5g according to the carton. The yoke is where the fat is, that's why people cut them out. I enjoy a hard boiled or poched egg every morning and do not separate the yoke.
  • vs1023
    vs1023 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I eat the entire egg because it is power packed with vitamins that the whites alone just don't have. I used to eat only egg whites. Occasionally if i've had a few during the week already I'll cut down to 2 egg whites and 1 whole egg. I also tend to stick to organic
  • jennifershoo
    Options
    I eat two eggs every morning. The yolk is NOT bad for you. I've had TWO medical doctors recently tell me that the yolk from a free-range egg is very healthy and gives you the good fats (Omega 3's) that your body needs and also the hype about the cholesterol is just that--hype! We have been given a lot of bad dietary information that has been out there for a long while. Once it gets into the mindset, it's very hard to change.

One thing I was told about the yolk though that I didn't know. It needs to be runny to get the most nutritional benefit (over easy, sunny side up, poached or soft-boiled). Once the yolk is cooked, it loses a lot of the nutritional benefit. I realize some people just can't eat them that way, but I eat mine as runny as possible!

Thank you!!! I'll eat less scrambled egg and more runny ones.
  • jennifershoo
    Options
    Hey what do you guys do with the egg yolks if you only eat egg whites? just wondering :D

Put it on your face! I'm serious. It does wonders for the skin.
  • ebaymommy
    ebaymommy Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I eat the whole egg. I have one almost every morning with my breakfast.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say that "most people" only eat the whites - it seems to me to be a cultural thing that happens mostly in the US. My guess is that it's because you have been sold the "egg yolks are fatty and unhealthy" line and marketers have cleverly jumped on the bandwagon to give you egg whites in a box.

I understand that it gives you lower calories, but for me, the trade off in lower nutrition isn't worth it, I'd rather take the extra calories (ie. energy) plus the extra nutrition.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    The smell of the yolks made me gag and feel sick to my stomach.

I am the same way! I was wondering if there was something wrong with me.