Gym or DVD?

Options

Replies

• Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    BOTH, I love having options, so sometimes it's school gym, other days Jillian Michael is my best friend/ Chalene Johnson or the Earth is at my disposal
  • Elle_Jamaicangirl81
    Elle_Jamaicangirl81 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    would love the gym.. but I dont have the time to spend there now. so i rock out to my Wii and DVDs and my treadmill and do shorter, more frequent workouts at home
  • Smansfield1
    Smansfield1 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I use the gym at my college, I'll get the credits for that class as electives, I do have to do a certain number of hours each semester to get an A but that is my motivation, plus it will help my GPA. Saying that I just bought Wii Zumba Fitness 2 and I use Netflix to add into my workouts in case I can't get to the gym (I have 4 yr old twins and a 3 year old-school gym no daycare)
    Here is a cheating way of figuring out what you like best, most gyms offer a 3-7day free trial membership, go to each of them, use the free pass and decided what gym you like best or if a gym membership is even for you.
  • tundradarling
    Options
    I live in a remote village in Alaska, where there are no gyms. I use DVD's and my wii fit. So far it was been successful. The boxing is a great workout. Best of luck! :)
  • Captain_Mal
    Captain_Mal Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    I've relied on Dvd's so far and they've worked for me. I'm socially awkward and really loathe the idea of the gym and the people at the gym. Lately though, I have been considering getting a gym membership mainly to go learn a few new things and see what I can get out of myself. We'll see though.

Dvd's I've used :

P90X (really great, really tough, but works)

30 Day Shred (also great and works, perfect for days when you don't have an hour to devote to working out)

A few of Bob Harper's Dvd's : Yoga, Kettlebell, Cardio, Pure Strength
  • albinogorilla
    albinogorilla Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    for me, gyms, i have spent much money on home equipment in the past, and have never used any of it for very long, so now its all gym for this fella
  • Squir88
    Squir88 Posts: 24
    Options
    Gym... Gets me out of the house and I love to see the eye candy of chicks working out.
  • beautyreaps
    Options
    Both. I have a home gym (treadmill, fancy studio set up of lights and mirrors, elliptical, steps, dumbbells 10-40lbs and bench with bar). I've done DVD workouts and still do some P90X workouts when I come home late and can't be bothered to drive to the gym. I love using the gym for weight training (seeing as I don't have over 100lbs at home) - I find classes to be too clique-ish.
  • kasmir8199
    kasmir8199 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I, personally, love DVDs and gym to supplement. I can say this now because I've worked with and have learned a LOT from personal trainers that I know exactly what I need to do to replicate those results on my own time (without that added expense). Before then, I'd strongly suggest a gym of some sort and maybe DVDs to supplement.

Whatever you do - ENJOY IT!! Signing up for some sort of activity or sport is probably the best way to go. Take a CrossFit, Kickboxing or MMA class, or dance to really shed some weight while also monitoring your caloric intake (MFP). Winning combo. :)
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 8,034 Member
    Options
    For me the more options the better. However, make sure you love your gym before committing for a year. How convenient the gym is, and if you'll have a workout buddy there are other considerations. My sister and I joined Curves, and it is a treat to meet and exercise together. It definitely keeps me motivated. Having DVDs at home helps when you can't make it to the gym.
  • penelepurr
    penelepurr Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I enjoy having both. I don't have distractions at the gym like I do at home, and the gym is only a mile from my house, so it allows me to get in a quick half-hour if I want or go in the morning without having to get up way too early. On the other hand, if it is raining or I just feel like hanging around, I can do some calisthenics and basic exercises at home improvising for equipment (tricep dips on a chair, etc.)
  • Sierra_419
    Sierra_419 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    i loveeee the gym & having access to all that equipment.. if i had my own elliptical & a weight machine id be ok .. BUT those are costly unfortunately ..
    i work out at home.. i have cardio & strength training apps on my phone & some dvds ..
  • sw33tn3ss07
    Options
    DVDs! You can workout at home and they really work!
  • GC131618
    GC131618 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I prefer the gym. When I had my membership I went frequently, it was my way to take myself out of my home and focus on my own mind and body. I loved it. Sadly, I had to stop my membership temporarily. But I am planning on bringing it back up so I can work out after class. Home videos never work for me because when I am home I want to do other things for my home, not so much stop everything and work out. I always give up in the middle of the videos because i just dont feel that motivation as i do being surrounded by other people that are working out.
  • jessielanee
    Options
    The gym is motivating, you see other people working hard and you want to as well!
    I find, myself, I cant get motivated to work rigorously at home... Too many distractions!
  • YassSpartan
    YassSpartan Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    To me it all comes down to my goals.

To get lose body fat and gain some muscle while at it to look ripped, I use DVDs. So far the only equipments I have are my Bowflex Selecttech Dumbbells and my pull up bar (I do P90X btw).

Once I'm done with the DVDs and reach my goal, I'll start going to the gym because my next workout plan, which is designed to gain muscle mass with a plan similar to powerlifting, I need more weight and more variety of things to do that I can't at home unless I have my own gym.
  • mugsisme
    mugsisme Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I also like both. I joined the gym at my husband's work. It is opened until 11pm. I go at night, and there is rarely anyone there. The only down side is, who feels like getting dressed and going out at 9pm when the kids are in bed???

So when that happens, I toss in a DVD and blast my own music from my computer (I can't stand the canned music in the background of the DVDs I have.) The advantage is it is much shorter cuz I am home and don't have travel time. What ever works for you and gets you moving is the most important.
  • JT1090
    JT1090 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    DVD

I save money by not getting a membership or wasting gas. I have privacy to focus and not feel insecure. I can shower and get on with my day quicker when I workout at home. I have more variety and I feel confident in what I'm doing because the DVDs show me how to do everything correctly.
  • daryls
    daryls Posts: 260
    Options
    I love the social interactions at the gym. I don't do the cardio machines - just the classes. I like spinning, circuit training (boot camp), Kickboxing, Step aerobics, bar class, etc. I work harder at the gym!!!
  • muwchck
    muwchck Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Right now I work out at home with VHS and DVD, On Demand videos, and walking around the apartment complex. It's an issue of money for me right now. To use the Y, I'd have to pay for a family membership so that I could use the gym and put my 2 kiddos in daycare, or I'd have to pay a membership and a babysitter. It's just easier for me to work out from home right now, and my oldest will "work out" with me most days too. He's keeping me motivated to do some sort of working out. If money weren't an issue, I'd probably be doing both, because the gym would give me more variety to my work out. Of course, the On Demand videos give me a pretty good variety, but I wouldn't mind having some equipment to use too.