What's the strangest/grossest thing you've eaten

Options

Replies

• EmpressOfJudgment
    EmpressOfJudgment Posts: 1,162 Member
    Options
    vietnamese house special pho. it had tripe, squid tentacles, fish balls, pork skin, and probably some other stuff. i love sweatbreads and tongue, but those aren't strange or gross.
    I love pho. I am a five minute walk to Chicago's Vietnamese neighborhood and I've had it at about 6 different places there. Usually the "weird" stuff in their standard pho is tripe, tendons, meat balls (of which meat I am unsure), and flank steak. I've never had it with squid or fish. I might have to try that next.
  • dckim
    dckim Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    vietnamese house special pho. it had tripe, squid tentacles, fish balls, pork skin, and probably some other stuff. i love sweatbreads and tongue, but those aren't strange or gross.
    I love pho. I am a five minute walk to Chicago's Vietnamese neighborhood and I've had it at about 6 different places there. Usually the "weird" stuff in their standard pho is tripe, tendons, meat balls (of which meat I am unsure), and flank steak. I've never had it with squid or fish. I might have to try that next.

Good Pho is a hit or miss. I go to one that is actually run by Vietnamese, not Koreans, or Mexican cooks. But I live near LA, so it's easy to find an authentic Pho place. :drinker:
  • EmpressOfJudgment
    Options
    I live in Chicago and can leave my front door and walk to Little Nam in less than five minutes. It's all Vietnamese people there. There are definitely some places that aren't as good as the others, but it's as authentic as it gets. We usually go to the places where only Vietnamese people go. Places where my boyfriend has to say things like, "no, we DO want the blood cubes" when we order certain dishes. They'll say to us, "Oh sorry! Haha. White people usually no like that."
  • noneya2010
    noneya2010 Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Cow's tongue. It was nasty.

Growing up, my grandmother from the east coast used to bring pickled cow tongue. They were like some sort of delicacy! now I gag just thinking about it!
  • _Timmeh_
    _Timmeh_ Posts: 2,096 Member
    Options
    Rabbit, it was salty.
    Funny reading some of these responses from women who eat and swallow various odd things like
    cow tongue and mountain oysters...makes me wonder...ahh well nevermind.
  • dckim
    Options
    I live in Chicago and can leave my front door and walk to Little Nam in less than five minutes. It's all Vietnamese people there. There are definitely some places that aren't as good as the others, but it's as authentic as it gets. We usually go to the places where only Vietnamese people go. Places where my boyfriend has to say things like, "no, we DO want the blood cubes" when we order certain dishes. They'll say to us, "Oh sorry! Haha. White people usually no like that."

I've been to Chicago twice (Arlington Heights area). One time was in March, and I could have used a hot bowl of Pho but did not see any Pho place near my hotel. :frown:
  • EmpressOfJudgment
    Options
    I've been to Chicago twice (Arlington Heights area). One time was in March, and I could have used a hot bowl of Pho but did not see any Pho place near my hotel. :frown:
    Arlington Heights is not Chicago. :P Seriously though, if you ever come to the Chicago area again, let me know and I'll give you the low down on where to go. We've got it all. You name the country and we've got the restaurant.
  • Peque1130deleted
    Options
    Arlington Heights is not Chicago. :P Seriously though, if you ever come to the Chicago area again, let me know and I'll give you the low down on where to go. We've got it all. You name the country and we've got the restaurant.

So true!!
    Love this city!! :happy:
  • dckim
    Options

Thanks and I will. :smile:
  • PBJunkie
    PBJunkie Posts: 652
    Options
    Sheep's head - Just tasted the cheek and puked all the way

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT_2ePRSkKJAWoPffsi-GDjq5EtChEjOaTzsO5COm6vyo2T1zPh
  • foxygirlact
    foxygirlact Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    wow! you people have eaten some gross stuff!! :sick:

i was going to say oysters, cause I hate them so much, but some how I think cat puke beats me!
  • svenskispiration
    Options
    Haha, this is a fun topic!! Mine has to be blood pudding in Sweden. My grandma really likes it so I had to give it a try. I've had rocky mountain oysters, but blood pudding was way worse. It's really a shame though because it is a relatively cheap source of protein and iron.
  • Betmar83
    Betmar83 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I haven't really eaten anything that strange. I've had rattlesnake chili, rabbit stew, duck fat fries, and buffalo sausage. Nothing too crazy, and I enjoyed all of them.
  • pumpkinmoccasins
    Options
    Not really gross but the texture was bizarre, I had this weird chopped raw octopus tentacle marinated in a wasabi paste at a sushi restaurant once. It tasted really good but was mysteriously super slimy... I probably wouldn't order it again.

Oh! And I went to this Vietnamese place in China town in NY once and had some sort of red bean beverage... It was sweet as to be expected but really grainy and chewy. That was very interesting!

I also partake in goat meat curry from a local Indian place in STL which I suppose could be strange but it's actually quite tasty...
  • lizwizCYLS
    lizwizCYLS Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Musk Ox - roasted....most digusting thing I've ever had....2nd place goes to Merganser Ducks....dumb college kids I was hunting with didn't understand the difference between diver ducks & dabbling ducks....dumb but very ethical & 'the rules" are....you shoot it<->you eat it....Merganser bits all thru the game stew....ended up picking all my bits out & feeding it to the hounds 'cause I didn't shoot it so I shouldn't have to eat it eh!
  • Gary1977
    Gary1977 Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    Rabbit, it was salty.
    Funny reading some of these responses from women who eat and swallow various odd things like
    cow tongue and mountain oysters...makes me wonder...ahh well nevermind.

LMFAO!!!!:laugh:

I know what you mean.....now I'm missing my ex!:blushing: :cry:
  • sirihermine
    sirihermine Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    cows tounge is a normal food to eat around christmas here.
    mutton ribs is also a delicious christmas dinner ( might sound weird to others).
    Lutefisk (dried cod treated with lye)
    Sheeps head w/ eyes

^^ all of the above are norwegian traditional foods.... Makes me wonder why some of my fellow norweigans are having problems with sushi :)
  • lizwizCYLS
    lizwizCYLS Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I don't eat gross crap....
    Thanks for your valuable contribution.

I mean seriously. If it's gross-WHY EAT IT?

Duh.

"Bragging rights" are not worth it. Sorry.
    I said "strange" OR "gross." I think if people don't try something unusual from time to time they are missing out. It's nice to expand your horizons. Enjoy other cultures from time to time by going out of your comfort zone. Don't be a food prude.

Actually we have 3 or 4 "exotic" foods every Thanksgiving & Musk Ox was just 1 more thing to try along with buffalo, elk, caribou etc & it was a total surprise that it was gross & disgusting as I thought it would be most like buffalo....the Merganser Duck was a young hunter's error but I've always liked teaching my gkids about where our food comes from so that they will respect both farmers & hunters so hopefully not be wasteful of anything edible eh!
  • fxst78
    fxst78 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Dog, Crocodile.

Dog not so great, Crocodile fantastic.
  • Tamstar1985
    Tamstar1985 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    pig's brains in hotpot (tasted like tofu, and now i eat it on a regular basis)
    any organ meat (some people find it disgusting, but i love it!)
    chicken or duck feet (duck's feet have more tasty bits, IMO)
    sheep's eyes (ummm... weird texture)
    smelly tofu (in beijing... soooo good!!!)
    century eggs (yummy with tofu and chili oil)
    chicken eggs with the baby chick inside (this i actually found gross)
    stewed dog meat

ETA: the dog meat bit. it was really not very nice though...