Girls- Longest Gone W/O TOM?

Options

Replies

• anthrfosh11
    Options
    I went 9 months without AF but this is bc I have PCOS.

same
  • bonnynblithe04
    bonnynblithe04 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    A couple of years. It finally came when I took a prescription for Provera (can you say trainwreck?).
  • Iwillshyne
    Options
    2 years without but I have PCOS so...
  • andforpoise
    Options
    I would say my longest was 6 months... but I was depressed...and depression does funny things to your cycle! Clearly you are not depressed! You're the most chipper friend I have on MFP! Gets me motivated! :) I wish you well!
  • KellyKAG
    KellyKAG Posts: 418
    Options
    Is this going to end with a baby in a toilet like "I Didnt know I was pregnant" tv show?
  • mistresseeyore
    mistresseeyore Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Longest time 120 days. Had to take medicine to make it start. Side effect of having PCOS. Doctor said if a woman goes over 90 days without a period, that it can start a set up of Uterine Cancer, so if anyone goes awhile without being pregnant go to a doctor.
  • ShalisaClam
    Options
    Just fyi, if you frequently miss it for several months at a time, you should get evaluated for PCOS. Just going on BC pills isn't enough. it masks the symptoms. Over the long term, PCOS increases your risk of heart attack, diabetes, and certain types of cancer. It also causes weight gain and infertility.

For everyone who has missed periods, I highly recommend going to an endocrinologist. OB/GYNs a lot of the time just tell you to take BC and be done with it. An endocrinologist will evaluate all of your hormone levels. If you do have PCOS, they will address the root cause. In many cases the treatment is very simple.

I spoke with my dr about the possibility of having PCOS, she said it didn't make a difference whether I had it or not if I was not planning on having children. True?
  • Mkserpa
    Mkserpa Posts: 136
    Options
    The last time I had one was January 2011... Also due to pregnancy :P I haven't had one yet since having my baby in October. I'm exclusively breastfeeding, plus I'm dieting and exercising and losing a lot of weight, may also play a factor.
  • erinistehawesome
    erinistehawesome Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I spoke with my dr about the possibility of having PCOS, she said it didn't make a difference whether I had it or not if I was not planning on having children. True?

False! PCOS causes issues with your ovaries and hence periods. If you don't have periods, you aren't ovulating, and if you aren't ovulating you can't get pregnant! Some people with PCOS can lose a considerable amount of weight and that helps the PCOS, or others get fertility treatments various kinds to stimulate the ovaries into ovulating (which causes periods).
  • CannibalisticVegetarian
    Options
    Also a PCOS'er here.

After stopping my horrid birth control pills, I didn't see hide or hair of TOM for about... 6-8 months...

...And then he showed up and stayed around for about 8 months.. = 3=;

*Edited* Taken care of now with Pregestrone (however you spell it)
  • sjdoman
    sjdoman Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Last year when I started dieting and working out a lot mine stopped for four months. Once I started upping my net calories it resumed as normal within a month. Perhaps you just need to eat more.
  • ALH1981
    ALH1981 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    hun you need to have this checked - when i was running a lot and not eating enough to sustain the training this happened to me - basically it means that you do not have enough body fat. You will need to go to doctor.....
  • ladybug91254
    ladybug91254 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    When I was in my late 20's/early 30's I went for about 6 years without TOM. I worried for awhile but went to 3 different doctors at various times and they all said the same thing...they could find nothing wrong so if I wasn't trying to conceive...enjoy! So I did!
  • Ocarina
    Ocarina Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    I used to miss it for like 6 months when I was around 125 lbs. I also worked out hours and hours and hours and starved myself from anorexia. I think you can work out so much or put your body under so much stress that it disappears. I'm a healthy weight now and have it on a perfectly regular basis. I'd go talk to the doctor.
  • ChanyRae
    ChanyRae Posts: 112
    Options
    I have NEVER skipped a period....the latest I've been is 2 days (and that was enough to scare the crap out of me!) haha

I've been pretty petite my whole life, always maintained around the same weight.......maybe drastic weightloss makes the hormones go crazy?
  • RUNN3Rmom
    RUNN3Rmom Posts: 441
    Options
    I am not familiar w/PCOS so I have no idea if what is happening to me is normal or not.

Anyway, I haven't had one in about 6 years. I got pregnant w/my daughter in 2004, had her in 2005, breastfed for a year (still no period), got pregnant w/my son, had him in 2007, breastfed for 9 months, got Mirrena and still have not had one.

I assumed it was normal because of the IUC Mirrena but now I question...

Any thoughts?
  • rachemn
    rachemn Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I haven't had mine since May 2010. My endocrinologist did test me for menopause (I'm only 38), but I see him for thyroid issues., I went to an ob/gyn and she took out my iud and gave me a pill to start my period and neither worked.

Maybe I'll make a follow up with my endo and have him test me for pcos.

I'm usually told that its either the weight loss or my hyperthyroid that's causing the problem. I work out normally..not excessive at all...actually I really need to step it up!!
  • Akijade
    Akijade Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I am as regular as a Swiss clock. I wish I didn't have one...
  • yvettegu
    yvettegu Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    :laugh:
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    I am not familiar w/PCOS so I have no idea if what is happening to me is normal or not.

Anyway, I haven't had one in about 6 years. I got pregnant w/my daughter in 2004, had her in 2005, breastfed for a year (still no period), got pregnant w/my son, had him in 2007, breastfed for 9 months, got Mirrena and still have not had one.

I assumed it was normal because of the IUC Mirrena but now I question...

Any thoughts?

A lot of women lose their period while on Mirena, it's normal. You probably got pregnant with your son on your first cycle - you ovulate before you menstruate, so you probably got lucky and caught that first egg and never had a chance to have a period in-between the kids b/c of the pregnancy. Lucky duck. :-)