MFP Runner's Club

Options
kechiemc
kechiemc Posts: 1,355 Member
Happy Friday! :flowerforyou:

Welcome to MFP Runner's Club

We are a friendly group that posts to this post daily. We post about our runs, walks, rests, and cross training. We hope to support and inspire you on your journey.

Replies

• taylor74
    taylor74 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Can beginners join? I just started running and could use all the suggestions, hints and support I could get!
  • annaliza
    annaliza Posts: 809
    Options
    Welcome Taylor! Sure you could join...we'd like to have you!! There are a lot of helpful people here in all stages - from new to expert.

Here is the link to the previous thread - there's a lot of good information that can help you (and it's a good reference for me since I'm new, too :smile: )

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/54047-mfp-runner-s-club

Thanks Ketchie!!!
  • sonia2
    sonia2 Posts: 154
    Options
    Hello~! Easy run for me this morning-- 4 miles at 10:00 pace. It was supposed to be at 11:00 pace; I tried to go slow. I kept having to make myself slow down. It was easier breathing with our 75% humidity, to go slower. Knee pain was minimal at the end. I believe it's getting better!!
  • RunRideRay
    RunRideRay Posts: 1,536 Member
    Options
    I was helping someone else out with some knee pain, and thought I would post this article from cool running about the subject. I also found a site that had some good pics for stretches to do.

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_5/194.shtml

http://runninginjuryfree.org/2008/09/stretching.html

http://runninginjuryfree.org/2008/09/pictures-of-stretch-exercises.html

Basically, it is a common problem for runners to get a knee pain that can pull the knee cap to one side due to an imbalance in tendons and muscle development. It happened to me when training for my first Ironman, and totally bummed me out.

It took me a $25 copay to the physical therapist who figured it out right away and I was training hard again in about 2 weeks. It only took a series of daily stretching drills. I have been pain free ever since.

Just something to be aware of.
    Raymond
  • christine918
    christine918 Posts: 261
    Options
    Hey Everyone! :flowerforyou:

Doctor says I have hip bursitis and the bones look ok! I got a cortisone shot to help me get through tonight's race. After tonight, I can't run or bike or do anything for a week! :cry: I'm sure it's for the best though since I can barely walk when I get up.

Hope everyone has happy running!:happy:

146230.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Online Calorie Counter
  • vrdz3215
    vrdz3215 Posts: 493
    Options
    Haven't posted in a couple of days, but had two awesome runs of 4.0 and 4.5 miles on Wednesday and Thursday...Today is a rest day for me, running a 5k bright and early in the morning! Happy Friday everybody!!!:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • jabdye
    jabdye Posts: 4,059 Member
    Options
    Good morning!
    Got in 5.5 easy miles today. Was supposed to be a rest day but I have to change my long run to Sunday instead of Saturday so I'm "resting" tomorrow. Is there such a thing as "rest" when you have a 6 and 7 year old?????

Hope you all have a fabulous day!
  • jabdye
    Options
    Haven't posted in a couple of days, but had two awesome runs of 4.0 and 4.5 miles on Wednesday and Thursday...Today is a rest day for me, running a 5k bright and early in the morning! Happy Friday everybody!!!:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Good luck on your 5k!!! Run fast! :bigsmile:
  • jabdye
    Options
    Hello~! Easy run for me this morning-- 4 miles at 10:00 pace. It was supposed to be at 11:00 pace; I tried to go slow. I kept having to make myself slow down. It was easier breathing with our 75% humidity, to go slower. Knee pain was minimal at the end. I believe it's getting better!!

Hey Sonia! Glad to hear your knee is feeling better. I have been having trouble going slow too. Today was an easy 5 miles and I'm used to speeding up the last half and had to discipline myself not to go faster. Hoping these easy runs will keep me injury free. I'm in Yorktown, VA so I know all about the humidity. Luckily 4 out of my 5 runs are indoors -- boring but at least I can breathe. Sundays run is my long run and it's outdoors -- would it be possible to carry an oxygen tank....hmmmmm....:glasses:
    actually last time mother nature helped out and rained on me! It was fabulous!!!

Enjoy your day!
  • SherryRH
    SherryRH Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Great job everyone for getting out there to run and do races. Get well to everyone that is hurting or injured. Hopefully the road to recovery won't be that long. :flowerforyou:
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Did my 'fast' run last night and it whupped me. I forgot music, so I had nothing to listen to but my own breathing which is a massive morale-killer for me. I sound like I'm dying when I run, and its even worse on our speed nights because I'm not so good at running quickly. I only ended up with about 2 miles. Bleh.

I'll make up for it tonight with a nice long jog and celebrate with some yummy Indian food.

Any suggestions on getting better with faster days? Going to be on a 6 day a week running schedule as of this week, so I'm hoping that helps out.
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options

Good for you!!

I'm also resting and doing a little yoga today. Tomorrow I'm racing a 5K also! :bigsmile: Good luck!
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Did my 'fast' run last night and it whupped me. I forgot music, so I had nothing to listen to but my own breathing which is a massive morale-killer for me. I sound like I'm dying when I run, and its even worse on our speed nights because I'm not so good at running quickly. I only ended up with about 2 miles. Bleh.

I'll make up for it tonight with a nice long jog and celebrate with some yummy Indian food.

Any suggestions on getting better with faster days? Going to be on a 6 day a week running schedule as of this week, so I'm hoping that helps out.

Speedwork. Run fast 400meter (1/4 mile) repeats. I used the runnersworld half marathon training plan w/ speedwork and tempo runs and it REALLY helped me get faster.

For my speedwork days, I would do a warm up mile (slower), then do 1/4 mile at about 90 seconds faster than my regular speed, then do a 2 min recovery jog, 1/2 mile fast, 2 min recovery, etc. Here's the link to runnersworld, it explains is better.

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-244-258-9369-0,00.html
  • gustergirl
    gustergirl Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I have the kids all day today and tomorrow morning so rest day for me! We went to the field next door and flew kites and puddle jumped--it was great! I will squeeze in a run on Sat/Sun! I am going to go further than 3.2 to start getting more mileage!
  • beckyi88
    beckyi88 Posts: 604
    Options
    Another 5K racer tomorrow...the River HELL run...oops, I mean Hills.
    Started a running clinic today, did about 4 miles at a much faster than my comfortable pace. Ugh!
    Starting P90X on Monday as well.
    I just made the commitment to do the USMC MudRun in Columbia in September. It is the scariest looking thing I've ever seen and looks much more painful than childbirth (which I've survived 4 times!)
    I think it will be incredibly empowering, but I'm still not sure what I was thinking!
    Happy running and racing!
    Becky
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    An easy going 5 miles for me this morning.
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    An easy going 5 miles for me this morning.
  • jabdye
    Options
    Another 5K racer tomorrow...the River HELL run...oops, I mean Hills.
    Started a running clinic today, did about 4 miles at a much faster than my comfortable pace. Ugh!
    Starting P90X on Monday as well.
    I just made the commitment to do the USMC MudRun in Columbia in September. It is the scariest looking thing I've ever seen and looks much more painful than childbirth (which I've survived 4 times!)
    I think it will be incredibly empowering, but I'm still not sure what I was thinking!
    Happy running and racing!
    Becky

The MudRun sounds exciting! What all do you have to do other than the obvious...run in mud???? I've been looking into the team adventure races -- they have team hiking, biking and canoeing. Still looking at it -- think it would be fun!!! Although I would need a guide cause my sense of direction is lacking to say the least.
  • beckyi88
    beckyi88 Posts: 604
    Options
    Here is the link
    http://www.usmcmudrun.net/
    I think it is a military grade obstacle course. Scary!
  • annaliza
    annaliza Posts: 809
    Options
    Uhhhgggg, I wasn't going to go running today but I was weak and ate a taco bell salad on my business trip today so...now I'm going to have to go running to burn up the 800 calories I ate for lunch (not to mention the really bad food that is NOT on my clean eating menu LOL).

Becky, good luck on your race!

I found another 5k to sign up for in September. My husband thinks I'm crazy LOL but I think I'm going to really enjoy it since I'm naturally competitive.

My 3 yr old is now imitating me. She runs up and down our sidewalk saying "I'm running like Momma" - it's really cute! She says that she's "racing" LOL

Hope everyone has a great weekend!