lean cuisines: actually OK for you?

Options
13»

Replies

• gatecityradio
    Options
    I use to eat the mushroom and spinach lean cuisine pizza's. Then I found that harris teeter makes an organic spinach feta frozen pizza that is full size for about the same price. So I just throw on some mushrooms, bake it at home, and take two slices with me to work and refrigerate the rest.
  • GurleyGirl524
    GurleyGirl524 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Better than fast food for sure!!! I usually have another veggie with mine and/or some fruit & drink lots of water to counter the sodium.
  • sarabeth120
    sarabeth120 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I don't see anything wrong with them. I eat them a lot and don't go over my sodium count. And, if I do, it's not because of them. Sometimes when I eat them, I'm still under my goal sodium intake by almost 1,000mg. They're good for those days when you just don't feel like cooking. Plus, they're good for portion control. For me personally, they fill me up for several hours.

Honestly, I cook some things that have more sodium then any frozen meals sometimes because of the ingredients and the different spices I use.

If you get a lot of sodium from something else that you eat then you should probably stay away from them, but if you don't get too much sodium in your diet then I really don't see anything wrong with eating them.
  • jnbud2002
    jnbud2002 Posts: 216
    Options
    I've eaten them just about every day during the work week for lunch for the past 450 days... they haven't had any adverse effect on me. Sure, they're a little higher in sodium, but there's nothing stopping me from cutting out additional sodium the rest of the day -- and I'm under my sodium macros about 99% of the time.

To each their own, I suppose...

^ This

I'm on the road to success, and I'm just starting to walk it. So I think they aren't too bad. I mean, One step at a time. I'm trying to work out all the kinks in my new lifestyle change, and to go from where I started, I can use the portion control and the calorie count. I've got the calories thing down now, I'm working on the portions which I find helpful with the lean cuisines. I'm starting to add more exercise too. And my next hill, is sodium. Like some others have said, watch what else you eat if you are ready to start watching everything. I find it kind of overwhelming to do it all at once, which is why over these past few weeks I've been working on each thing, calories, got that, exercise, getting that, and portion control, still trying. But I'm also trying the whole sodium thing, but some encouraging friends on here pointed out to me that I'll get there, just be glad with what I have done for now
  • Maggie_Pie1
    Maggie_Pie1 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I eat lean cuisine, healthy choice, kashi, and smart ones all the time for lunch. blah blah blah sodium sodium sodium.
  • RavensFan20
    Options
    If you have an iPhone there is an app called "Fooducate" it is really cool in the way it grades foods. It tells you what is bad about the food you are looking at and offers better suggestions. I don't know if the app is available for other phones. Most people have said it, but sodium is the worst part of prepared foods like Lean Cuisines. Just make sure you drink plenty of water and you should be ok.
  • dodd319
    dodd319 Posts: 228
    Options
    I'm working on getting my free lunch bag now!!! And I love Lean Cuisine meals & only eat one or two a week.
    I keep a lean cuisine on hand at work, in case I forget my lunch one day-otherwise I end up buying fast food.

.. and through the Lean cuisine points, I got a free lunch bag.

Home cooked & fresh food are always better, but Lean Cuisine is not bad on the fly.