Yes. You CAN eat 'normal' food! (my rant.)

Options

Replies

• Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    Reading that ''your life is food'' is what makes me sad. As I said before, why do you think junk food = joy and organic lettuce = miserable. It's not as black and white as that. I crave avocados soooo much! I recently discovered steamed kale and it makes by tastes buds dance! Love it! To me greasy food is not worth it. People think that as long as they lose weight and keep their BMI in the healthy rage, they are fine. But yet, cancer rates raise, depression rates raise, Alzheimer appears in younger and younger people, etc. Being fine today doesn't mean you'll be fine in 30 years. Of course, I don't even know if I am going to be fine in 30 years, but by controlling what goes in my body, I put all chances on my side. There are so much in this world that we can't control: the air we breath, our genetics, etc. But I can decide what goes in my body and it doesn't mean that I don't enjoy the food that I eat, of course I do! I just don't let my happiness being controlled by it. And as someone else said, tastes can change, and frequently do. You'd be surprised by a lot of ''rabbit food''! Just be open-minded and try it! We often hear that kids have to taste a new food about 10-12 times to really like it but it's definitely the case for some adults as well.

As someone else who also enjoys "rabbit food" (I've eaten steamed kale every day this week, can't get enough) I agree with a lot of what you're saying to a point, but I can see how your approach isn't being taken to very kindly.

I HATE the "Eat to Live, don't Live to Eat" mantra, I think it's black and white garbage. I love gourmet food, hell I have a food bucket list of things to try before I die. Does that mean I'll be unsuccessful in losing weight? Nope. Does that mean food rules my emotions and dictates my happiness? No again, because of one word: Moderation. If someone told me I couldn't eat another Mcdonalds burger for the rest of my life, I'd shrug my shoulders and move on. But if it was a French macaroon or a slice of grasshopper pie? I'd probably shed more than a few tears. If you have a balanced diet then there's no problem with brightening up your day with a cupcake.

BTW, I'm not the one who said ''eat to live, don't live to eat''.
    And yes I'm fully aware that my approach towards food is not taken very kindly.
    I can't be mad at everyone who disagrees with me, because apparently I'm in minority here. It's ok.
    It's a public forum, I stated my opinion. We can't all agree, life would be boring!

Please don't think I was attacking you, I'm also aware that it's a public forum where anyone is welcome to state their opinions, and others are welcome to respond to them as well. I know you didn't say "eat to live, don't live to eat" in your post, and it wasn't meant to be a direct quote from you, but that's sort of the impression that I got from your posts. I think I'm also in the minority as I see a middle ground between the two extremes that most people are expressing here, just trying to offer a different perspective.
  • HorrorChix89
    HorrorChix89 Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    But why is junk food a reward? Why do you let your happiness be guided by food? Why not reward you with a massage, a night at the movies

A night at the movies costs more than a bowl of ice cream or a 7-Layer Nacho Supreme.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,665 Member
    Options
    A night at the movies costs more than a bowl of ice cream or a 7-Layer Nacho Supreme.
    Unless you have a sister who's a manager there.................

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • callingbatonrouge
    callingbatonrouge Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    indeed!
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    Reading that ''your life is food'' is what makes me sad. As I said before, why do you think junk food = joy and organic lettuce = miserable. It's not as black and white as that. I crave avocados soooo much! I recently discovered steamed kale and it makes by tastes buds dance! Love it! To me greasy food is not worth it. People think that as long as they lose weight and keep their BMI in the healthy rage, they are fine. But yet, cancer rates raise, depression rates raise, Alzheimer appears in younger and younger people, etc. Being fine today doesn't mean you'll be fine in 30 years. Of course, I don't even know if I am going to be fine in 30 years, but by controlling what goes in my body, I put all chances on my side. There are so much in this world that we can't control: the air we breath, our genetics, etc. But I can decide what goes in my body and it doesn't mean that I don't enjoy the food that I eat, of course I do! I just don't let my happiness being controlled by it. And as someone else said, tastes can change, and frequently do. You'd be surprised by a lot of ''rabbit food''! Just be open-minded and try it! We often hear that kids have to taste a new food about 10-12 times to really like it but it's definitely the case for some adults as well.

As someone else who also enjoys "rabbit food" (I've eaten steamed kale every day this week, can't get enough) I agree with a lot of what you're saying to a point, but I can see how your approach isn't being taken to very kindly.

I HATE the "Eat to Live, don't Live to Eat" mantra, I think it's black and white garbage. I love gourmet food, hell I have a food bucket list of things to try before I die. Does that mean I'll be unsuccessful in losing weight? Nope. Does that mean food rules my emotions and dictates my happiness? No again, because of one word: Moderation. If someone told me I couldn't eat another Mcdonalds burger for the rest of my life, I'd shrug my shoulders and move on. But if it was a French macaroon or a slice of grasshopper pie? I'd probably shed more than a few tears. If you have a balanced diet then there's no problem with brightening up your day with a cupcake.

BTW, I'm not the one who said ''eat to live, don't live to eat''.
    And yes I'm fully aware that my approach towards food is not taken very kindly.
    I can't be mad at everyone who disagrees with me, because apparently I'm in minority here. It's ok.
    It's a public forum, I stated my opinion. We can't all agree, life would be boring!

Please don't think I was attacking you, I'm also aware that it's a public forum where anyone is welcome to state their opinions, and others are welcome to respond to them as well. I know you didn't say "eat to live, don't live to eat" in your post, and it wasn't meant to be a direct quote from you, but that's sort of the impression that I got from your posts. I think I'm also in the minority as I see a middle ground between the two extremes that most people are expressing here, just trying to offer a different perspective.

Ok! I'm not mad at you, don't worry! I understand that you thought I was an extremist because of the way I've been replying. I'm not! I eat lean mean instead of full fat meat, dairy (full fat or low fat) and dark chocolate 70-80% cacao instead of Snickers bars. But I don't eat (anymore, yes I used to eat all that junk too) McDonald's, Domino's pizza and all that trans fat grease. I know people talk a lot about moderation, but to me, one mcnugget is the same as 30 mcnugget (although I know the quantities of calories matters in weight gain/loss). I believe in what you (general you) put in your body reflects your risk of developing cancer and other diseases. I disagree with the poster who said as food is broken down into the same nutriments, it doesn't matter what you eat. I'm not going to bother arguing with him as he obviously has strong beliefs and I do to, just opposite ones.
    People keep commenting that they eat junk because it tastes good. But tastes can be changed. Once you don't have junk food in your life you don't crave it and you don't miss it. And yes, you can be happy and satisfied if you don't eat junk food (again, general you). And calling healthy organic products ''rabbit food'' is quite extremist IMO.
  • HorrorChix89
    HorrorChix89 Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a sister who's a manager there.................

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

We use to just sneak in the back door xD
  • Daxiacat
    Options
    tiny_burger2.jpg

Just the rize size! Omnomnomnomnom!
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    And calling healthy organic products ''rabbit food'' is quite extremist IMO.

umm ok not sure if that WAS directed at me lol, but it's not my term of choice, which is why I put it in quotes, it's just what everyone else is using as a blanket term for healthy food.
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    Well said, I found it so much easier to start out modifying the portions of my favorite foods and adding fruits and veggies, then totally altering what and how I ate after a while my body and taste started changing to where I enjoyed the more nutritious foods. We really need to focus more on a "whats best for you" mentality rather then a it's all black and white kinda thinking.

Removing foods from your diet entirely may work for some but it never worked for me. I was in a terrible restrict/binge cycle. I would eat low carbs for ages, being extremely restrictive over my calorie intake and what I was putting in my mouth. I would then go through binge cycles where I would stuff my face with junk because I had deprived myself of. I think in the back of my mind I thought this was 'scarce' and I didn't get to do it often so I should make the most of it.. it meant that instead of eating a small bag of chips, I would eat two large bags of chips. I now realised when I have my small portions of foods like pizza, chips, etc. that it is not the end of the world, that I can just enjoy it and not stress over it. This moderate approach is the best approach for me.
  • jennifershoo
    Options
    And calling healthy organic products ''rabbit food'' is quite extremist IMO.

umm ok not sure if that WAS directed at me lol, but it's not my term of choice, which is why I put it in quotes, it's just what everyone else is using as a blanket term for healthy food.

Again, no, not directed as you! Sorry! I should stop posting my thoughts that are unrelated to a quote.
    If it changes anything, English is not my first language. Don't want to use it as an excuse, but just want to let you know that if you see some weird sentences, that might explain it :)
  • jennifershoo
    Options
    tiny_burger2.jpg

Just the rize size! Omnomnomnomnom!

Even if I don't want to eat it, I think it's a pretty cute little burger!
  • jackieb1977
    jackieb1977 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    for a while, I was seeing an abundance of "what's gonna happen to my boobs" threads. new batches daily, it seemed. but, lately, I'm seeing new folks coming in and asking if they can eat so-called 'normal' food. and, of course, soon thereafter they are informed by various members that, no, all of that food is terrible and they must stock their fridge with organic lettuce grown under the sunshine reflected off a tropical rainbow.

that really bothers me. people join this site, often, after years of failed attempts. many are frustrated ... discouraged. so much so that it probably wouldn't take much for them to just throw it in and give up. and you know what just might be that push? the organic rainbow lettuce brigade.

you know what, that food is certainly nutritious. no one is really going to argue that point. and is nutritious food better for your body than not-so-nutritious food? well, yeah. but here's the thing, ORLBs. that's an extreme change many -- if not most -- people can't make. and, yes, I said can't -- not won't. it isn't always as simple as just throwing away all the food you've got and restocking with fresh produce and tofu burgers. the first obstacle is cost. the second is ease/feasibility. and that's not even figuring in the fact that many -- if not most, again -- don't like to eat that food!

I get the concept that food is fuel. sometimes you have to eat things you may not like. but I'm not going to make it long by making that kind of food my only kind of food. that's no way to live, dreading your next meal. and most people won't. that's why diets fail. and that's why MFP works. because a calorie is a calorie.

Yes. You CAN eat 'normal' food. I'll eat pizza. I'll eat chocolate. I eat pasta and bread and even, now and then, a cookie or some candy. I lost 3.5 pounds this past week. I've lost more than 17 pounds in less than two months. and it's because I'm learning to keep my food portions under control. I keep under my calorie limit. I plan ahead if I know I'm going to have a larger meal or a higher-calorie treat that day. and if it just happens without planning and I decide to take that treat? that means a longer stint at the gym to burn those extra calories off.

the ORLBs will now start sputtering, 'but that's not healthy!' and to that, I'd like to ask if being obese is healthy. I think ... no. so. let's move to basic food math:

eating less of most the food I like, keeping calories under my limit = weight loss;
    weight loss = a healthier me;
    therefore, eating less of most the food I like, keeping calories under my limit = a healthier me.

shedding that extra weight automatically makes you healthier, no matter what it is you are eating. there's simply no way around that fact. now, that isn't to say that you shouldn't make smart decisions. that isn't to say that you shouldn't work to find 'healthy' foods that you like, working them into your daily life. but, like weight loss, that's a process. it doesn't need to happen overnight.

focus on what works. turn yourself into a better you. and do it in a way that will allow it to be a life change. and if, for you, that means 'normal' food? do it, and do it without any of the guilt you've been programmed or pressured to feel.

at last !!! ...
  • Aries03
    Aries03 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Pamela259
    Pamela259 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    i agree too i have lost 7lb in 2 weeks just by not snacking and controlling portion sizes i havent changed what i eat, if i did i think my 10 yo would starve we are just encouraging eating more veggies trying different ones to see what we all like so it can become more frequent
  • Mamoonie
    Mamoonie Posts: 328
    Options
    I have never stopped eating "normal" food, means I didn't change my eating habits at all, except for cutting portions... a little bit ;-)
    I upped my water intake, and started working out. So far I lost about 50 lbs (in 1.5 years).
    I know: it could have been much more, I could already have reached my goal weight... but I didn't want to!
    I prefer to have a social life, I prefer to eat whatever I like, whenever I like and how much I like. This means that I go over my calories goal most days, sometimes even a lot. This means I get to eat french fries a few times a week. This also means I haven't had a single binge eating day/meal. This means I never feel deprived of any food. This means I very seldom have bad conscience about what I have to put into my diary.
    I'm not a perfect pal on here. A lot of people who take a look at my diary, may think I'm lying when I adjust my weight to a lower number because with all of what I eat I "just cannot lose weight", but I still do.

My next goal is to start eating healthier food, but only if it's convenient to do so ;-)
    I may change my food choices, sometimes, slowly, one at a time, but I won't give up any of the not-so-healthy foods.

So, to conclude with the OP: yes, you can eat normal food and lose weight. If you ate only healthy food, you might lose faster though but on the long term that's not always the best way.
  • Hikaru37
    Hikaru37 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    BUMP

So I can show my friend who seems to think she can cut out chocolate and coke overnight and won't get disheartened >.<

Also well said!
  • soccerella
    soccerella Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    On a side note, if I ever met a guy who had amazing six pack abs (as the argument early on was saying is impossible to getting eating "normal food") that was so concerned about healthy eating and losing it that he was afraid to have a beer or spilt a plate of fries on our date, it would be a huge turn off.

I am all for eating healthy foods, but as the OP said, I think its perfectly fine to have some of the foods that you really like now and then. If your favorite thing to eat on a night out with your husband is a glass of wine and a cheese plate, then you shouldnt avoid that for the rest of your life. Moderation is key, and I personally prefer the people who can keep "normal" food in their diets then someone who only eats clean because they are so scared that they will gain it all back if they eat one potato chip.

Now if you like eating clean and thats the food you really enjoy, then go for it!
  • dontwantausername1
    dontwantausername1 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    for a while, I was seeing an abundance of "what's gonna happen to my boobs" threads. new batches daily, it seemed. but, lately, I'm seeing new folks coming in and asking if they can eat so-called 'normal' food. and, of course, soon thereafter they are informed by various members that, no, all of that food is terrible and they must stock their fridge with organic lettuce grown under the sunshine reflected off a tropical rainbow.

that really bothers me. people join this site, often, after years of failed attempts. many are frustrated ... discouraged. so much so that it probably wouldn't take much for them to just throw it in and give up. and you know what just might be that push? the organic rainbow lettuce brigade.

you know what, that food is certainly nutritious. no one is really going to argue that point. and is nutritious food better for your body than not-so-nutritious food? well, yeah. but here's the thing, ORLBs. that's an extreme change many -- if not most -- people can't make. and, yes, I said can't -- not won't. it isn't always as simple as just throwing away all the food you've got and restocking with fresh produce and tofu burgers. the first obstacle is cost. the second is ease/feasibility. and that's not even figuring in the fact that many -- if not most, again -- don't like to eat that food!

I get the concept that food is fuel. sometimes you have to eat things you may not like. but I'm not going to make it long by making that kind of food my only kind of food. that's no way to live, dreading your next meal. and most people won't. that's why diets fail. and that's why MFP works. because a calorie is a calorie.

Yes. You CAN eat 'normal' food. I'll eat pizza. I'll eat chocolate. I eat pasta and bread and even, now and then, a cookie or some candy. I lost 3.5 pounds this past week. I've lost more than 17 pounds in less than two months. and it's because I'm learning to keep my food portions under control. I keep under my calorie limit. I plan ahead if I know I'm going to have a larger meal or a higher-calorie treat that day. and if it just happens without planning and I decide to take that treat? that means a longer stint at the gym to burn those extra calories off.

the ORLBs will now start sputtering, 'but that's not healthy!' and to that, I'd like to ask if being obese is healthy. I think ... no. so. let's move to basic food math:

eating less of most the food I like, keeping calories under my limit = weight loss;
    weight loss = a healthier me;
    therefore, eating less of most the food I like, keeping calories under my limit = a healthier me.

shedding that extra weight automatically makes you healthier, no matter what it is you are eating. there's simply no way around that fact. now, that isn't to say that you shouldn't make smart decisions. that isn't to say that you shouldn't work to find 'healthy' foods that you like, working them into your daily life. but, like weight loss, that's a process. it doesn't need to happen overnight.

focus on what works. turn yourself into a better you. and do it in a way that will allow it to be a life change. and if, for you, that means 'normal' food? do it, and do it without any of the guilt you've been programmed or pressured to feel.

Amen! You tell them. A calorie is a calorie. The body doesn't know a lettuce calorie from a cake calorie. If I want to have pizza I just have eat less later.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    The ONLY foods I've cut completely out of my diet are those that have trans fats. And even those, if I'm at a party or something, I'll eat to be polite.

But if other want to eat that, that's their business. I agree with the OP. People need to lose weight in their own way. They can be educated, but they still need to make their own choices. My motto is if it works for you, that's what you should do.

Not everyone has the same goals or likes and dislikes.
  • ickle77
    Options
    I actually see both sides of this one.

I'm a total junk-food addict - nothing is better to me in this life than a big slice of chocolate fudge cake and cream. To my delight, last year I was able to lose 39lbs through portion control, and still eating most of the yummy stuff I was eating before - cakes, crisps, chocolate, takeaways etc on a regular basis, just less often and in smaller quantities.

However, there were some days where I just couldn't resist that fudge cake, and to stay within my 1200 calorie limit I would therefore be able to eat precious little else for the rest of the day - not the healthiest way to be by anyone's standards. And while I felt a lot better than before, I honestly didn't feel as great as I thought I would. Plus towards the end of the year I started to hit the dreaded 'plateau'.

So this year I decided to make a change - I still wanted to lose weight which, of course, in itself makes for a much healthier lifestyle, but I also wanted to start feeling better and looking after my body so it's in great shape for later in life. So now I've over-hauled my diet - on a daily basis I eat plenty of fresh fruit and veg, seeds, nuts, wholegrain foods, organic lean meat and fish and soya, and I've 'cut out' (by this I don't mean totally, but only allow them once every few weeks as a true treat) the stuff we all know is bad - saturated fat, refined sugar and processed foods.

After 4 weeks I now find I don't even crave the bad stuff much, even though I've told myself that no food is off limits, just for treats only. Refined sugar in particular is like a drug - when you go without it for a while your body stops craving it. I've started losing weight again (1-2lbs a week) and I feel SO much better! I have more energy, my skin looks amazing and people have been telling me how great I look. I also sleep better and can concentrate when I had difficulty before.

It's absolutely true that you can still lose weight by eating saturated fat, refined sugar and processed foods daily. But I think I owe myself more than that. My Dad is 58 and has all manner of health problems - diabetes, high blood pressure, back and knee problems, to name a few. Most, if not all of these are down to him being obese for most of his life and eating junk (empty calories) as the basis of his daily diet. If he had just cut down on the junk and limited his portion sizes I have no doubt he would be much slimmer now, but I'm not convinced he'd be much healthier.

I think life's too short to go without food treats altogether - we all deserve these occasionally. But we also deserve to be healthy and feel great well into our old age. Losing weight shouldn't be the priority, it should be the side effect of giving your body all the nutrients it needs.