Want weight loss? Push your body to the limits

Options

Replies

• cobra1368
    cobra1368 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Well, I know what my Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays will be for! I currently go to the gym and do strength training classes on Mondays and Fridays, and Pilates on Wednesdays.

With this in between, I should be ripped in no time! Bikini, here I come!! :)
  • AlbertSchwartz
    Options
    I'm definatly doing this. I've not done anything like this since used to play rugby.

Guess what my position was....

Yup, tight head prop lol

Al
  • barefootbabe
    barefootbabe Posts: 271 Member
    Options

Ahh, yes, I have heard suicides before too. Yeah, you guys do all 4 quarters right? Free throw, half court, free throw, baseline right?

Exactly. We usually do it after a drill and whichever group does the drill the slowest or gets the least shots in has to do the suicides. Everyone else watches. It's very un-fun. :)
  • jessneill
    jessneill Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Ok, once it stops raining here and is sunny long enough to dry out the ground I'm going to try this!

I bet it will be a great addition to my half-marathon training!
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    I'm definatly doing this. I've not done anything like this since used to play rugby.

Guess what my position was....

Yup, tight head prop lol

Al

Oh you were a meat head. :laugh: No just kidding. It was funny, I walked into my first practice not knowing anything about rugby, just knowing after a year of college football that I didn't want to take steroids, and that's what they wanted...They almost made me an 8 man (I was 6'2" 205, so I was the right size) Then I got on the sprint line and beat everyone, and they said "oh, ahh, what did you play in football?" I said, Free Saftey, and they were like, Well, we found our fly half. :)
  • cobra1368
    Options
    Okay, I'm doing this workout after I walk the dogs tonight. There is a big open field that is on church property in my neighborhood. I take my dogs there sometimes to romp around off-leash.

I am not too terribly out of shape. I just have those stubborn trouble spots that I'm really tired of looking at. And I'm tired of all the days at the gym and the running, and still the cottage cheese butt!

I'll let ya'll know how it goes tomorrow!
  • skinnydreams
    skinnydreams Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    I have a nasty chest cold right now but I want to try this, so until I feel better! Bump!!!
  • banks1850
    Options
    anyone try it out yet? It's raining today so I can't do it outside. But I'm going to do my modefied version inside today. Which isn't as bad as the outdoor but not bad anyway.

If anyone is interested it's basically just a really hard core circuit.

the key is to find machines that you want to work on (I do core, to isolate baseball muscles and tone my abs) and test out what you can do for the heaviest weight without failure in your set. Also, don't rest between sets, just go immediately from one machine to the next (except for the 1 minute breaks).

5 minutes warm up on the tred mill.
    Immediately push the tred mill up to 9 mph for 4 minutes (or what ever is a HARD speed for you)
    1 minute rest
    oblique machine (1 set of 12 from each side)
    fitness ball crunches (15 crunches)
    ab machine (1 set of 12)
    pully machine for side pulls (1 set of 10 from each side)
    1 minute rest

repeat 2 more times ending with 1 minute on the tred mill at the fastest speed you can go up to and not fall off. (I do 12)

5 minute cooldown on tred mill

Make sure you stretch before and after, stretch your back, quads, calfs, Hammi's, groin, and anywhere else you feel tight.
  • cobra1368
    Options
    Okay, I did it last night. I am not proud of the fact that I didn't push my body to the limit last night. I realized just how hard "hard work" really is!!

That has to be one of the hardest workouts I've ever done!! The frog jumps I sucked at. I had to keep stopping because otherwise, I would have fallen on my face!

I did good for the next couple of exercises, but the crab crawl, forget it. I got through about 2.5 laps of those, and I had to quit because it was starting to get dark. I really can't do all of those just yet, but I plan on working up to it!

Like I said before, not proud of my efforts (I brought my B-game). However, I did wear myself out sufficiently enough to make me wake up sweating at about 2am this morning (I am a notoriously cold-natured person!), and I sweat profusely during my Pilates session this morning, which I also never sweat during!

And my whole body doesn't hurt profusely, but it feels nice and tight!

So, I'm going to try it again on Saturday. And this time, I'm doing all the crab crawls and not stopping on the frog jumps if it kills me!!
  • banks1850
    Options
    Hey, it's all about the burn. It doesn't matter if you finish or not. I can tell you straight up, the frog jumps are my most hated part. the crab crawls suck too, but more for the fact that I am already exhausted then how bad they are. Keep at it, I bet by the 3rd or 4th time you start to realize that it is getting easier, and by 5 or 6 you'll notice that you can make it through the whole thing. That's when you really start to notice changes. Leg muscles actually showing definition, LOTS extra wind. Stomach a little smaller, you realize you have a little more balance...etc
  • wildcatmom2u
    Options
    I got to thinking about this. I have not read all the replies as of yet so I don't know if anyone has suggested this. But forget the park, try the local school football field. The lines are already drawn and most people (from a distance) will think you are just an athlete working out.
  • banks1850
    Options
    I got to thinking about this. I have not read all the replies as of yet so I don't know if anyone has suggested this. But forget the park, try the local school football field. The lines are already drawn and most people (from a distance) will think you are just an athlete working out.

Yep good one, if they let you on, sure, plus, you can be pretty sure that their won't be any hidden pitfalls in the field too (unless it's a really bad field).
  • wildcatmom2u
    Options
    My son's football team went to state and they used the money to put on astro turf, so no pitfalls there. We live in a small town, and coming from Texas, everything centers are football so the field is always open. Plus, I plan on adding walking the bleachers to this routine.
  • cobra1368
    Options
    Hey, it's all about the burn. It doesn't matter if you finish or not. I can tell you straight up, the frog jumps are my most hated part. the crab crawls suck too, but more for the fact that I am already exhausted then how bad they are. Keep at it, I bet by the 3rd or 4th time you start to realize that it is getting easier, and by 5 or 6 you'll notice that you can make it through the whole thing. That's when you really start to notice changes. Leg muscles actually showing definition, LOTS extra wind. Stomach a little smaller, you realize you have a little more balance...etc

Thanks, man! That makes me feel better! I get mad at myself if I can't finish something. But I will keep at it! I do like the euphoric feeling afterwards. I went home, ate dinner, took a shower, and felt like I was floating on the way to bed! I was so tired!
  • banks1850
    Options
    :happy:
  • banks1850
    Options
    ouch, did the full workout today. Well, ok, minus 1 of the frog jumps. My quads are woefully weak! Man I'm beat, little bit of a heat headache, but I expect that with the weather being 28 degrees and windy. Man that is brutal. I needed it though, I had chinese last night (wife's birthday, she wanted something yummy). Hope everyone else is doing it as well. I did notice, it wasn't quite as rough on my wind as it was at the beginning of the week, this is the 3rd time I am doing it this year and already my wind is already ramping up. Cool!
  • banks1850
    Options
    OK, I'm gonna try 3 times this week. I'll have to modefy it for the shorter time span because I can't take a full hour off work, but I should be able to do that.
  • AlbertSchwartz
    Options
    WOW, its awesome and so easy

YEAH RIGHT! lol, i felt like my legs were drunk/ made of rubber lol

I drove my car to the university and used one of the playing fields, omg, i struggled to lift my legs to operate the pedels when i drove home lmao.

Awesome work out banks!, I think i missed alot of this sort of stuff when i was rugby training as i think its more of a backs type routine.

I can feel my groine aching slightly, but i think in the morning the true extent of the work out will be revealed lol. I plan on swapping 2 out of my 5 gym days for 2 days of this.

Anyway, i'll check in in the morning, (if i can get out of bed lol)

Al
  • banks1850
    Options
    WOW, its awesome and so easy

YEAH RIGHT! lol, i felt like my legs were drunk/ made of rubber lol

I drove my car to the university and used one of the playing fields, omg, i struggled to lift my legs to operate the pedels when i drove home lmao.

Awesome work out banks!, I think i missed alot of this sort of stuff when i was rugby training as i think its more of a backs type routine.

I can feel my groine aching slightly, but i think in the morning the true extent of the work out will be revealed lol. I plan on swapping 2 out of my 5 gym days for 2 days of this.

Anyway, i'll check in in the morning, (if i can get out of bed lol)

Al

Nice Al! Is there any better feeling then knowing you left EVERYTHING out on the field? Knowing there is nothing more you could have done today to improve yourself gives you a giant sense of self-satisfaction. Great Job! BTW, I hear ya about the groin, for me it was lower back, but it was all muscle soreness, not the pain you get when you injure your back. The nice thing about this workout is, you work so many muscle groups so hard, that the next day, you KNOW which ones are weaker then they should be and need more work!
  • cobra1368
    Options
    Man, I can't wait until I can do this again! It has been raining almost every day since I decided to start doing this three times a week. LOL Figures. I will get out there and kill myself again eventually. My goal is to at least accomplish half of my crab crawl laps this time!!

Oh well. I'm off to do my Body Works class at LA Fitness right now. I'll check y'all later!