Pre-Logging Exercise

Options

Replies

• robinogue
    robinogue Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    I cannot see how pre-logging can be accurate... Depending on my engergy level, diet pre-workout and mood I could do the same exercise three times and burn different calories each time.

What would you put for calories burned when you pre-log? Am I the only one who has various results from the same workouts?

This was my question.. I can do the same workout two days in a row yet burn different calories. How can you pre-log your workout, are you just putting a calorie burn number in there hoping you make that number? I don't get it. I pre-log my foods for the day if they are already pre-planned but my workouts, I log them only after I'm done with my workout.
  • monkeypantz
    monkeypantz Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I pre log my food (especially breakfast and lunch) a week in advance, then I know what to buy when I go to the supermarket - it's basically planning my meals for me.

I pre log dinner too, but sometimes things change and I then alter / delete it.

I can also work out my calorie intake each day.

I pre log exercise at the start of the day, because I think once it's on MFP I have to do it! + I usually exercise at night, so I know how much I can eat in the day.
  • TinaBean007
    TinaBean007 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I prelog exercise that I know I'm committed to doing. (Team sports, meeting friends for a spinning class, etc) That way I can plan healthy meals throughout the day that incorporate the calories. I don't like to prelog anything I'm wishy-washy about.
  • Pocket_Pixi
    Pocket_Pixi Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    I pre-log my food and that way I know where I stand in terms of calories... usually I push myself harder if I have a big -400 calories showing up after I log all my food. It also helps me decide which work out I want to do... but pre-logging exercise doesn't make sense to me as my calorie burned total varies from day to day depending on what I am doing, how hard I push, if I have the energy etc.
  • MrsLVF
    MrsLVF Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    How do you guys feel about pre-logging your exercise? I have a friend who pre-logs constantly and then comes back later to say she never actually did the workouts because "life got in the way" or something. They aren't like "80 calories burned doing 90 minutes of 'cleaning, general'" but like "560 calories burned doing 62 minutes of 'running, 6 mph (10 minute mile)' or something like that. But then she posts about how "none of her MFP friends are being supportive..." when they stopped commenting "great job!" on her "workouts".....This isn't a *b*tch mode* post, I'm just honestly wondering if anyone does this effectively? Pre-logs and then follows through?

I feel the same way, it's one thing if there is actual follow through on the workout, but i just think it's a bad habit to get into. Meal planing is different, I know a lot of people find it easier to know what they will be eating for the day because it's prepared ahead of time. But workouts are a whole different thing. Let's face it we're all going to eat, every day without fail, but its much easier to skip a workout because something came up.

Anyway, I can use, and be a supportive friend on here. you can add me, I can be her replacement. LOL
  • knapowell
    knapowell Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I pre-log both food and exercise. I don't like ending up with tons of excess calories at the end of the day, which is usually when I can get in my workout. I like to spread those calories out over the day. Eating my exercise calories during the day definitely makes me more likely to get that exercise in, and usually I end up doing more than I pre-logged. I have only had 2 or 3 times in a year and 3 months that I have not been able to follow through with exercise that I logged, but I just deleted it, and adjusted my food diary.

Not everyone has a HRM, so I have to rely on the calorie calculators.
  • TinaBean007
    TinaBean007 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I sometimes pre-log same as I sometimes record food in advance. But if I don't do the exercise, or eat that food, then I remove it.

Yea! This is what I'd do..

Yep same here.

Me too

Me three! I always remove something I don't eat or don't do!
  • twoscimitars
    twoscimitars Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    90% of the time I 'prelog' and follow through.
    I really feel like an *kitten* if I post exercise, my friends comment, then I DON'T do it.
    In fact, its the encouragement of my MFP pals after I post planned exercise that helps me to do it when I'm not in the mood.

^^^ Yep. :)
  • tiggergrrl23
    tiggergrrl23 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I pre-log my food but I don't pre-log the exercise. I wear a Body Media Fit armband and my calories are constantly changing with every workout, so I never truly know how many calories I burn until I am finished with the workout. Pre-logging my food is a good choice for me, because it keeps me accountable and I can more easily stick to a plan. Every person is different and you should only worry about what works for you!
  • Michelle9939
    Options
    I sometimes pre-log same as I sometimes record food in advance. But if I don't do the exercise, or eat that food, then I remove it.
    I do this.
  • I only log if I do it! :) If I pre-log I won't end up doing it.
  • olymp1a
    olymp1a Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    How do you guys feel about pre-logging your exercise? I have a friend who pre-logs constantly and then comes back later to say she never actually did the workouts because "life got in the way" or something. They aren't like "80 calories burned doing 90 minutes of 'cleaning, general'" but like "560 calories burned doing 62 minutes of 'running, 6 mph (10 minute mile)' or something like that. But then she posts about how "none of her MFP friends are being supportive..." when they stopped commenting "great job!" on her "workouts".....This isn't a *b*tch mode* post, I'm just honestly wondering if anyone does this effectively? Pre-logs and then follows through?

Hmmm... I usually prelog my daily meals, sometimes I do that the night before, since it helps me stay on track. But when it comes to exercise I only log it after I actually do it!
  • L00py_T0ucan
    L00py_T0ucan Posts: 1,378 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: I don't worry too much about how other people like to use the site. :happy:

Can't speak for everyone, but some of us do a 'rough draft' of food and so it would make sense that some people also go ahead and pre-log their exercise, just to see where the numbers come up.

They might be trying to pre-earn some drinks for a night out or something...
  • mochalovies
    mochalovies Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I prelog it. Usually go to the gym after work, and I only log in MFP when I am sitting on my desk. TSK TSK
  • Michelle9939
    Options
    I cannot see how pre-logging can be accurate... Depending on my engergy level, diet pre-workout and mood I could do the same exercise three times and burn different calories each time.

What would you put for calories burned when you pre-log? Am I the only one who has various results from the same workouts?

This was my question.. I can do the same workout two days in a row yet burn different calories. How can you pre-log your workout, are you just putting a calorie burn number in there hoping you make that number? I don't get it. I pre-log my foods for the day if they are already pre-planned but my workouts, I log them only after I'm done with my workout.
    Well I don't have a HRM to tell me how many calories I burn so I just go by whatever MFP tells me. That is how I pre log.
  • ItsMeRebekah
    ItsMeRebekah Posts: 910 Member
    Options

Not everybody has a HRM to go by, and logging the exercise thru MFP gives the basis of what you burn.
  • pixiexxgirl
    Options
    I pre log sometimes, mainly because seeing it in my diary gets me motivated to actually get off my butt and do it
  • chiera88
    chiera88 Posts: 155
    Options
    i only pre-log food then delete it when it doesn't happen. i log exercise afterwards because plans don't always follow thru and what if i forgot and ate back those calories?? that'd be bad. i'd delete her just because she''s annoying haha
  • Bikini27
    Bikini27 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Before I unhid my diary, I would pre-log as a way to say: this is what I'm doing today!
    Now that my diary is readable, I don't want to pre-log and have to make myself accountable to what I need to do. For instance, yesterday I had the gym trip planned and almost backed out due to a headache from hell. Instead, I did a few massage techniques and told myself that even if I go for just a ten minute walk, that would be a start. I went and ran thosee ten minutes and left feeling amazing!

So, I understand why she pre-logs, but she may want to hide her diary if she continues.
    :flowerforyou:
  • crazycat80
    crazycat80 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I sometimes tinker with the exercises and minutes to figure out my expected calories burned, but I typically don't commit it to post. And if for any reason I do post it, I delete the post on the front end immediately so noone comments on it.