Does this count as communicating w/ your children?

Options

Replies

• chanstriste13
    chanstriste13 Posts: 3,277 Member
    Options
    It counts. In a presentation I attended for work last week they were talking about "digital natives" which are basically people who have been born into this uber-digital world and grow up using the various media for communicating. For them there's nothing impersonal about a txt or facebook, nor is it a way to avoid "real" contact, it's an additional means of contact. To them they've just got a ton of ways to communicate with folks, parents included. :)

Yes, but I think the concern is more that the dependence on digital communication can result in a breakdown in the relationship between parent and child which could be devastating to the child's future. Can proper guidance really be deliverd through a text, an e-mail, an instant message, or an FB posting?

Considering how much more a teenager is willing to post on FB than tell a parent directly, yes, proper guidance can, at the very least, be started using these means. The first step in guidance is knowing what to guide them towards or away from. You can't do that if you're clueless to what your teen is actually doing. Things like FB can give you far more insight than trying to pry it out of them directly.

lurking on your child's facebook and communicating with them are two different things. i see your point, but i think you are talking about apples and oranges.
  • chanstriste13
    chanstriste13 Posts: 3,277 Member
    Options
    The Internet gives a sense of anonymity/pseudonymity that you can't get in a face-to-face conversation. This gives people more courage to say/do things they otherwise wouldn't normally do (this is a well-known and rather widely-studied phenomenon).

i don't believe in cyber-courage.

"Believe in" it or not, it doesn't change the fact that it's real. The sense of anonymity caused by the Internet triggers what's known as a "disinhibition effect," much like what alcohol does.

http://users.rider.edu/~suler/psycyber/disinhibit.html

this looks interesting. i'll give it a read after my jog (which i *really* need to go and do now, but this is kind of fun). but just because people *feel* like they are brave or courageous or bad@ss doesn't mean that they are - from what i skimmed of the article, i think it actually supports my point (but i haven't read it carefully yet) - it's an illusion.
  • VegesaurusRex
    Options
    Interesting subject. Just marking this so I can find my way back.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Can proper guidance really be deliverd through a text, an e-mail, an instant message, or an FB posting?

YES it can!!! This mother is probably doing everything she can to be close to her child - the teenager more than likely is your AVERAGE teenager who is too cool to talk to thier parents. I was the same way. My parents were the LAST people, especially my mother, who I wanted to run and tell all my secrets to. it was my friends.

I give this mom a High five for sticking with it and doing what she can to try and keep the communication lines open. When the child is 20, I am sure they will start to come around.

Cripes.

First off, (just basing this off your profile pic) you don't seem old enough to be a parent or at least the parent of a teenager so you are even farther from relating to this issue than I am. Secondly, if you aren't willing to tell your parents something in person, then you are even less likely to tell them something by text because it is a less formal communication. There is the possibility that the teenager would be more likely to share something when they don't have to face their parent, but at the same time, you aren't really teaching children to face their fears or to accept accountability. I am not condemning the mother for using this form of communication. I text my daughter when she and I are not together so I can keep up with what she is doing, where she is, or what she might need, but I think it is sad if the most communication that this parent can hope to have is by digital means. She seriously has no control or influence over her child if she is dependent upon that.
  • crazybusymomma
    Options
    I have 5 kids...3 are teens ages 18,17,and 15. My 18yr old left 7 months ago for the Army. So our main communication is texts and phone calls. When he was still home we also did a lot of texting because of his school,work,and training schedule. My 17yr old moved out almost a year ago Miss Independent....she works 30 hrs a week,is doing two school years in one she is graduating a year early,does cheer leading,volleyball,and now softball...so we text,and call a lot. She doesn't even have a Facebook. And my 15yr old is a techi junkie! She's the kid who will sit upstairs and "try" to text me while I'm sitting downstairs. That doesn't fly with me. We talk every day face to face. When she isn't home I'll gladly text or facebook with her. :) And when the other two are home visiting we talk and talk. I think ANY form of communication is better than none...BUT I feel it is very important for people to be able to communicate face to face. I have an 16 yr old brother and he can not talk in person period...he can't think fast enough to carry on a conversation..he can't look you in the eye..but give him a phone and he can text for hours. I find it sad that personal communication is becoming a lost art.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    It counts. In a presentation I attended for work last week they were talking about "digital natives" which are basically people who have been born into this uber-digital world and grow up using the various media for communicating. For them there's nothing impersonal about a txt or facebook, nor is it a way to avoid "real" contact, it's an additional means of contact. To them they've just got a ton of ways to communicate with folks, parents included. :)

Yes, but I think the concern is more that the dependence on digital communication can result in a breakdown in the relationship between parent and child which could be devastating to the child's future. Can proper guidance really be deliverd through a text, an e-mail, an instant message, or an FB posting?

Considering how much more a teenager is willing to post on FB than tell a parent directly, yes, proper guidance can, at the very least, be started using these means. The first step in guidance is knowing what to guide them towards or away from. You can't do that if you're clueless to what your teen is actually doing. Things like FB can give you far more insight than trying to pry it out of them directly.

lurking on your child's facebook and communicating with them are two different things. i see your point, but i think you are talking about apples and oranges.

But your friend does communicate with her kids, and "lurking" (that is, watching posts, but not responding to them) isn't that far off from simply sitting quietly and letting them talk.

"Communication" doesn't always have to be the parent sitting at a table with the kid, giving them a lecture on what to do or not do in a given situation. In fact, I'd say that that's even less "communication" than chatting via technology. Do you really think the teen is actually listening? Teens are quite adept at tuning out their parents (or any adult, for that matter) and looking like they're listening.

Knowing what your teen is actually doing is half the battle in raising them. From there, you can take whatever course of action you as the parent deems necessary.

Teens are also at the stage where they want to assert their independence, and have the means to do so, which makes them highly unlikely to talk with their parents by any means. Those today that lament about so-called "days gone by" where the family sat down at the table every day at 5pm and spent the rest of the evening talking are deluded about a romanticized past.

Those that grew up in the World War II era where known as "Latch-Key Kids," named for the after-school program that the vast majority of them spent their time in. Between one parent being deployed in the war, and the other working to support the family and/or the war, most of the kids even then, didn't see their parents on any kind of regular basis, and this was during what many see as a "golden age" of family time. Do you really think they did a lot of "communicating" with each other?
  • ffuunnnnyy__ggiirrll
    Options
    what if their primary form of communication is texting while they are all at home? (this was my cooperating teacher while i was getting my licensure, so i'm not close to her, but she told me a *lot* about her personal life while i was working with her - generally a little more than i wanted to know.)

The only reason I would text my kids while we were all together would be to talk about one of them behind their backs or to make fun of them i.e. yo, did you see the boog in Max's nose?
  • Mom2rh
    Mom2rh Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    The OP doesn't say (unless I missed it) that electronic communication is the only communication going on. I absolutely use texting, email, FB in communicating with my 17 yo. And this has contributed to better communication in other areas. We definitely do face to face...and he shares stuff with me face to face that he probably wouldn't if we weren't connected in all of the other areas. We also have no tech at the dinner table and during certain chats.

For those of you who don't "believe" in it, fine. But if you don't have teenagers you really don't have a clue.
  • Dadof8
    Dadof8 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    No, it is not.
    I have a meeting with my boys every night - no electronic devices allowed.
    It's just about 20 minutes - talking.
    And we do not allow any such devices at the dinner table either.

Some parents are just totally clueless.

Do you have daughters? How many teenagers do you have? I've never had more than 6 teenagers at once and never more that 5 teenage daughters which I've had twice. Any communication is good communication. Face to face, texting, heytell, phone, smoke signals, use 'em all if they'll listen.
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    Do you have daughters? How many teenagers do you have? I've never had more than 6 teenagers at once and never more that 5 teenage daughters which I've had twice. Any communication is good communication. Face to face, texting, heytell, phone, smoke signals, use 'em all if they'll listen.
    ^^^This!
  • perdie7
    perdie7 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    my kids are 23(working in Germany), 21(married with a child, lives 2 1/2 hours away), 20 (full time employed), 19 High school senior, 1/2 classes are collage, and my baby is 17 in high school.

My theory is meet them where they are at! this generation was born into technology, this is their life, it is what they are used to. So I either meet them there of lose them. I joined facebook, cause they were on facebook, they text, I text. Yes, I believe it is important to have face to face and we do. but we do alot of texting too. And sometimes if I feel a text isn't enough and I'm picking up on vibes, I will call. I think it is awesome that my 21 dd sends me pics and texts while she is on vacation. My high school kids text me while they are in their "free" period. And with 5 people scattered throughout the house, i text to tell everybody to come to meal...:smile:

My Mother-in-law, is of the same opinion as me...she has joined facebook, cause her grandkids are there, she posts she updates, she comments, etc, etc..she makes occasional phone calls to them and they call her once in a while...she has a great relationship with her grand kids, . My mom doesn't do this, and she is always complaining cause they "never call her", I believe it is because she has never stepped into their world...as the "adults" when need to do that, and build on it.
  • ffuunnnnyy__ggiirrll
    Options
    No, it is not.

It must be nice to be so totally awesome at everything you do.
  • madyncaden
    madyncaden Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    the decline of America..............
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

They said that about the introduction of telephones, too.
  • ItsMeRebekah
    ItsMeRebekah Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    They're teenagers. They don't want to deal with their parents. Why is that "sad?" That's pretty normal. The fact that she's using digital mediums that she knows they like to use is pretty clever on her part.
    so true, my little tot already says she can't wait to get a phone so we can text back and forth LOL LOL how cute is that?? I wont tell her that by the time she gets there im the last person she will want to talk to !! hahha
  • KimmieBrie
    KimmieBrie Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Communicating is communicating.

Some are better at clearly expressing a thought through writing than speech. When on the spot, sometimes it's hard to articulate especially if you are disagreeing or one/both are angry.

I don't think anyone has said electronic communication is better than face time, but that they appreciate there are other ways to communicate. A kid expressing themselves via text or email is better than repressing their thoughts in person. Some kids have trouble communicating effectively with their parents for whatever reason - I know I did as a teen. All lines of communication should be open.
  • Chagama
    Chagama Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Yes, we (older) may not consider it real conversation, but to teen age kids that is normal, that's how they communicate with their friends, so if they are doing the same with me, that's good.
  • latinahada
    Options
    I think as long as the line of communication is open, that is something positive!!
  • twinsanity
    twinsanity Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options
    No, it is not.

It must be nice to be so totally awesome at everything you do.
    Right?!!
  • madyncaden
    madyncaden Posts: 312 Member
    Options

They said that about the introduction of telephones, too.

i don't mean the technology i mean the mentality and attitude that is looming around many of the responses...........