Options

Replies

• HisButterfly
    HisButterfly Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    You look amazing!!! :happy:
  • TheSarahHill
    Options
    Great advice, I really wish more people would listen! :-)

You look so fantastic too!!! :flowerforyou:
  • JC98
    JC98 Posts: 21
    Options
    wow, what an inspiration & you look amazing!
  • ValHallaGirl
    ValHallaGirl Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    This was a great read! Thanks
  • stetienne
    stetienne Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Great inspiration! I have been putting off the weight training part, believing the old "muscle weighs more" situation would deter my weight loss. Going to get back to the weight training tonight.
  • yellowrose5321
    yellowrose5321 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Muscle mass is lost every year.
    Yes, loss of muscle mass come with aging. But a large portion of that loss is because we become more sedentary as we age. Strength training can eliminate a lot of that loss, which will keep your metabolism higher and allow you to eat more and still lose (or maintain, depending on your goal) weight.

At this particular point in time, you may only be able to eat 1000-1200 calories (as a former fitness trainer, I never recommended anything below 1200). But I'd be willing to bet that if you started a regular strength training program, you'd find that you could slowly increase the number of calories and still lose.

Everybody is different, but as humans, we do share similar responses to stimuli. If we drink water, we have to go to the bathroom. If we age, we lose muscle mass. And if we lift weights, our muscles WILL respond and our metabolism WILL increase.

It can't hurt to try!!
  • sullyboo
    sullyboo Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Amazing post and makes total sense!! I have got into a bad habit of daily weighing and it is driving me nuts. You look fantastic well done x
  • Nic620
    Nic620 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Muscle mass is lost every year.
    Yes, loss of muscle mass come with aging. But a large portion of that loss is because we become more sedentary as we age. Strength training can eliminate a lot of that loss, which will keep your metabolism higher and allow you to eat more and still lose (or maintain, depending on your goal) weight.

At this particular point in time, you may only be able to eat 1000-1200 calories (as a former fitness trainer, I never recommended anything below 1200). But I'd be willing to bet that if you started a regular strength training program, you'd find that you could slowly increase the number of calories and still lose.

Everybody is different, but as humans, we do share similar responses to stimuli. If we drink water, we have to go to the bathroom. If we age, we lose muscle mass. And if we lift weights, our muscles WILL respond and our metabolism WILL increase.

It can't hurt to try!!

:heart: Love this post!

We're all at different stages in this, too. My perspective is from someone who was a little overweight, but for the last 11 months or so, I've been in a healthy weight range trying to get leaner. Someone whose first goal is to get into a healthy range is going to be able to have a larger calorie deficit. At first, I did great with 1350 plus exercise calories. As I got within 10-15# of my goal, that wasn't enough.
  • persian_star
    persian_star Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Just readin NROL4W and coming to the same conclusions. You look fabulous - I hope I can look half as good :o)
  • StrongGwen
    StrongGwen Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    love it Clear, concise & personal info, great pix, wonderful inspiration! You Rock!
  • KCalmeyn
    KCalmeyn Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! You look amazing!

We often need to be reminded that muscle weighs more than fat. So rather that focus on what the scale says, we should focus on our measurements. I fall into this category of women trying to lose weight, we all want immediate results. And while it seems so good to see the number on the scale go down each week, fitness and nutrition are really what is most important.

I have only been using MFP for four weeks and have lost just over 9 pounds. I realize that is a lot in a short period of time and I won't continue to lose weight at that rate, nor do I want to. Right now MFP has me at 1200 calorie a day diet. Most days I do not reach that. Not because I am trying to stay under on purpose, I am eating, but I am making healthier food choices and simply NOT hungry. I also do cardio 5 days a week and am not eating back my exercise calories.

I want to begin a weight training regimen but not sure where to start. I would rather be healthy and lean as opposed to just skinny. I am 5'7" and am 40 years old. My goal weight is 140-145. I have flabby everything that I would love to tone up.

Do you have any suggestions?
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Do you have any suggestions?

I can only say what worked for me, and that's eating a lot more. 1200 calories and I don't get along. I can eat that little, and less, and feel ok for a time because I've always had an inconsistent appetite. For instance, if I'm busy, I can forget to eat all day until 5pm rolls around and I wonder why I have such a raging headache. So I learned that I can't trust my body to tell me when I'm hungry and when I'm full. Listening to my body is what got me down to a scary 103# when I was in my mid 20s, and what got me to my high weight in my late 30s. My body... is pretty stupid.

I did best between 1350-1500 plus exercise calories, which ended up between 1800-2000 calories. But everyone is different, and we all have to find what works best for us.
  • Nana_Booboo
    Nana_Booboo Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Someone actually gave me a link to this blog.

THANK YOU SOOOOOO MUCH.

I'm not crazy, this really is how it's done.

=)=)=)
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    love this post -- I do strength training and you're so right -- one day i hope to look like you - i've lost 102lbs so far.... woohoo! You're awesome!!
  • mwagone
    mwagone Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Wow, you're results are awesome! Thanks so much for the advice!
  • smlamb33
    smlamb33 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    You look amazing!!! I hope to someday look like you!! Awesome job!
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Bust those myths!
    Great work:drinker:
  • AWyatt88
    AWyatt88 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Wow, you look fantastic! And everything you said makes a lot of sense. I am going to keep everything you stated in mind when I do my workouts and when I am picking and chosing my food. You are a great inspiration to keep people like me going! Thank you!
  • Nana_Booboo
    Nana_Booboo Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    bump