what the hell is Splenda?

Options

Replies

• bethlacroix
    Options
    The best alternative is real sugar. Just cut down on tha amount that you add!!
  • parys1
    parys1 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    Although I have my doubts that anything will replace my sweet -n- low; I am willing to give xylitol a try. Off to Kroger I go later.

Anyone have a coupon? :-)

Hi. Just a note for those using xylitol. It is TOXIC to dogs. Make sure it is kept in a safe place.

Edited to add: http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&A=2875
  • DeBiKin
    DeBiKin Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    The question is great "What the HELL is Splenda?"... It was approved by the FDA too quickly and named "Sucralose" to make it sound like the name that is used for (cane) sugar: "sucrose" which people have been eating for years. Sucralose has been snuck into the food supply for too many things. It was not studied for nearly long enough and when a whole slew of new diseases crop up 20 years from now nobody will suspect that it was "Splenda" because they don't think that they ever ate any of it. Truvia is rabiana which is from the stevia plant mixed with the alcohol sugar others have mentioned. Everything is an acquired taste. Sugar/sucrose seems to be easily acquired but the body has to process it. It should never have been eaten in the amounts that we have all so easily become accustomed to eating. Now, in desperation to shed the excess weight we all packed on we will try anything that allows us to keep our sweet tooth happy.
  • SonicaBE
    SonicaBE Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    stick to a little bit of sugar- Splenda= chemicals and we dont know what teh long term effects are on our bodies.
  • Mommy2boys1girl
    Mommy2boys1girl Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Give me a S....S
    Give me a P....P
    Give me a L....L
    Give me a E...E
    Give me a N...N
    Give me a D...D
    Give me an A..A

What's that spell?!? SPLENDA!!!! YAY SPLENDA!
  • kstep88
    kstep88 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    If I must have something sweet, I use a bit of SPLENDA and LOVE it.
  • KimmieBrie
    KimmieBrie Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Splenda: The yummy stuff in my coffee! :drinker:
  • lscott62
    lscott62 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    also try stevia from the health food store.... much better for your body in general, but does have a bit of a taste you have to acquire.
    Truvia is at the regular grocery stores and its similar to stevia.
  • ctalimenti
    ctalimenti Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Ugh! All this sweetner controversy! Just toss some Baileys in there!
  • Mynue_Jeens
    Mynue_Jeens Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I use a combination of real sugar and Stevia in the Raw when I make tea. But real sugar isn't as bad for you as people think. It's actually natural just as honey is and isn't a significant amount of calories unless you're over sweetening things anyway.
  • Heaven71
    Heaven71 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    Love it and use it often. Heck, breathing is bad for you today but I've made a major life change for the better so if that's the worst thing i am putting in my body right now, I'm doing pretty darned good, IMO. Especially looking at my track record.
  • Heaven71
    Heaven71 Posts: 706 Member
    Options

A woman after my own heart. Hahaha Love it!
  • KevDaniel
    KevDaniel Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Love it and use it often. Heck, breathing is bad for you today but I've made a major life change for the better so if that's the worst thing i am putting in my body right now, I'm doing pretty darned good, IMO. Especially looking at my track record.

I think this is what it comes down to. None of them are "healthy" medically speaking, but I know I didn't get fat from having the ability to cut out sugar.
  • ahni77
    ahni77 Posts: 75
    Options

ha,ha,ha!!! Tell me about it!!
  • Umpire57
    Umpire57 Posts: 389 Member
    Options

I think this is what it comes down to. None of them are "healthy" medically speaking, but I know I didn't get fat from having the ability to cut out sugar.

But I do know when I cut out sugar I went the other way!
  • Marie3391
    Marie3391 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I love Splenda but i've been logging it at 4 calories a package. Hmmm

Each splenda packet does have 4 calories. Any product is legally allowed to say their product is zero calorie as long as it is below 5 calories.
  • gregpack
    gregpack Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    So if you drinking a coffee and add two sugars, that's thirty calories. I tried xylitol and thought it was great,until I saw that two teaspoons have twenty calories and is 5X the cost of sugar. I'm saving a measly 10 calories!

I play the calorie game like most here but I decided it wasn't worth it.

I can see where if your really like your coffee sweet the calories add up, but lately I notice the more I force myself to drink "more straight" I've begun to really appreciate the taste of the coffee itself (not just the stuff I add to it.)

Having said that, the sugar free vanilla coffee syrup they sell at walmart is pretty good.
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    I tried xylitol and thought it was great,until I saw that two teaspoons have twenty calories and is 5X the cost of sugar. I'm saving a measly 10 calories!

There is so much more to xylitol than just a little less calories than sugar. It's the entire spectrum of health benefits, from being low on the glycemic index, to remineralizing your teeth, to strengthening bones, to killing bacteria and viruses... For me, at least, it's about being overall healthier, not just hitting a calorie goal.

If you only care about calories, don't sweeten anything, or use a chemical sweetener and hope you don't end up with tumors.
  • sweetnlow30
    sweetnlow30 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I don't want to get into the whole sweetener debate. I do use Splenda every morning for my coffee. I just wanted to mention that every sweetener can have side effects, even "natural" ones. I tried natural stevia for two weeks and I started having extreme dizzy spells. I looked into it and stevia, or any derivative of it, like Truvia, can cause dizziness in some people. Just be aware of that. I am now looking into xylitol.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Truvia is better - natural alternative and also available at major groceries.

Truvia is NOT natural. It is not even made from the proper part of the stevia plant and Truvia and Purvia are made from Genetically modified plants.

Real stevia straight from the leaves of the plant for me or no sweetener at all.