MFP Runner's Club

Options

Replies

• msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Ran 3 miles today, walked 2. Beautiful in the rain as well... I started when it was thundering. I was half hoping it would be a thunderstorm while I was raining... for some screwed up reason that sounds like it would be fun to me, lol.
  • willywonka
    willywonka Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Hi guys, I'm still taking a little time off from real "running" and my knee seems to be feeling better. Today I did a walk, very slow jog combination on the treadmill for 2 miles and so far, so good. Raymond (rainman) shared those knee exercises/stretches with me so I am working hard on those, hopefully it will make a difference!
    I am dying to try out my new Garmin 405CX that I got last week, I haven't even taken it out of the box.

Happy Running to you all and have a great weekend :wink:
  • ElizaS148
    ElizaS148 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm new to MFP and enjoy jogging early in the mornings. I would love to join and be a part of this group especially since I need a little inspiration to get me back out there.
  • beckyi88
    beckyi88 Posts: 604
    Options
    Sherry/ Raymond (or anyone else who wants to chime in!)
    question about mudruns/training
    I am trying to set up my race schedule leading up to the half marathon in December.
    This is what I've got so far
    August 29 ~ 5k, flat, fast course, known for PRs
    September 19 ~ USMC MudRun ~ 4.2 miles with 30 obstacles
    September 26 ~ 10k
    October 17 ~ 15K
    December 12 ~ half marathon

I started running in April. I'm up to a long run of 8 miles. Does that schedule look doable for someone with less than a year of training? My biggest concern is the 10K the week after the mud run. Sherry, I know you've done one....will I be completely exhausted or is a week enough time to recover?
    I am getting serious about *training* and cleaning up my nutrition. I'm going to begin incorporating tempo runs and speedwork. I have a handle on the distance and definitely get lots of hill training.
    Thanks for the input.

Also, another quick question....do any of you ever get a feeling in your foot like the bones are jammed up? I don't know how else to describe it...other than it feels a bit like when you jam your finger and it needs to be pulled or popped??? It doesn't hurt...more uncomfortable and I have no idea how to pull my foot or pop it to see if that helps.
    Thanks again for sharing your knowledge with me!!!!

Becky
  • beckyi88
    beckyi88 Posts: 604
    Options
    I'm new to MFP and enjoy jogging early in the mornings. I would love to join and be a part of this group especially since I need a little inspiration to get me back out there.

Welcome! This is an amazing group of people! They have been so helpful and encouraging!
  • RunRideRay
    RunRideRay Posts: 1,536 Member
    Options
    Christine, that is a good time!

Great to see that a little rain won’t dampen everyone’s running either…

Becky is collecting hardware already..woohoo! Your schedule looks fine to me, it’s all stuff that won’t tear you up too bad. I would take most of the week off between the mudrun and 10k. You will likely be sore all over from using different muscles. Ya know, running just trains you to go forward. Up, down, crawl etc… is all different and you’ll feel it. After a week of light training you will be crawling the walls ready to run that 10k. Prolly get some more hardware!! No idea about your toe/foot deal. Hopefully it will just go away?

Great job everyone! I had fun this morning helping at a local race, I love to give back and cheer people. It’s amazing what a 9-year old a cowbell can do for a few thousand wet runners.

Raymond
  • RunRideRay
    RunRideRay Posts: 1,536 Member
    Options
    Ooops 1 more thing.... I am officially a Garmin junkie now :love: :love:

I took my new Garmin 605 bike computer out this week and LOVE LOVE LOVE it. It has the maps on it too so that's really cool when I do winter riding on gravel roads. Anyone that has a Garmin has to mess with the tools to analyze the workout on your computer, overlay workouts to google maps.... really neat stuff.

The ONLY bad wrap I give it... is that I don't want to spend too much time studying workouts, but rather just DO the workouts.

My world just changed.........and had to share it with everyone.

OK, that's it, sorry!
    Raymond
  • gustergirl
    gustergirl Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    So awesome to read everyones post!! I love knowing I get to check in here daily and see all our progress. Today was an "off" day for me. I just wasnt into it as much as I should have been so I just pushed myself until I got to the hills and then walked it. I want to run with the local running club tommorrow so I think I was trying to save my energy. BUT it did give me a perspective--walking the course you usually run was awe inspiring for me. I really cant believe that I do those hills, I go up an incline that seems to last forever!! It really put me in my place in terms of seeing how far Ive come and how much I am accomplishing right now!! Hope everyone has a great weekend!
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    YAY for the 5K'ers!!!! WTG!

I had a good run this morning myself. I ran a 5K in 24:26. Course was a bit long though (my Garmin said 3.17) but this was a PR for me for this course!! :bigsmile: (PR for another course is 24:02) Not bad, almost 2 min faster than my 5K last weekend w/ the sprint tri and I've had a busy week of training. I think if I'd gone in rested I would have done even better, but I still got 1st place in my AG!! (and a medal. :bigsmile: )

My dh ran his VERY first 5K in 29:49ish? (not sure exactly) Under 30 min!! He did great and he said that he felt really good too! :bigsmile:

Then ran the 1 mile race w/ my 3 girls. My 10yo came in 2nd place in her AG with a time of 9:23 (not her fastest but she still did well!), and my 8yo around 10 minutes. I ran w/ my 5yo and she ran a mile in 12:10ish!! It was so cute running with her, we did a walk/ jog and she was soooo proud of herself. The girls all got medals too. I'll share pics later. :wink:

Great day had by all! :drinker:
  • gustergirl
    Options
    That is awesome that your girls ran with you! I want to get my kids involved with it more!
  • christine918
    christine918 Posts: 261
    Options
    Becky: That's awesome u cut 6 min off of ur time!!!! Congrats on the medal!:drinker: :laugh:

Funny thing, I always feel like I'm running slower than normal in races, but my time comes out close to the same! ?? Weird!

I'm concerned about my hip injury now more than before... It took me 30 min to get out of bed and get my clothes on. I could not walk. I had to crawl to kitchen to get ice and ibuprofen.:cry: They got better throughout the day. I guess I just need to let them rest. Overtraining maybe?

Ok enough whining!:tongue:

Good job on ur run too Jess! Looks like we would be neck and neck racing!:laugh:

146230.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Online Calorie Counter
  • annaliza
    annaliza Posts: 809
    Options
    Good evening everyone!!!

Becky, great job!!!

Christine, if youre in pain, I would rest up for a few days. Hope everything goes ok for you. :flowerforyou:

Jess, that is so great!! I admire you and your family. I hope that someday I can have a running family too :smile:

Raymond, my HRM did that for me....changed my world. Congrats to you!! :drinker: Now I want a Garmin 305...oh when will these gadgets end??? I'm hooked on them!

I ran two miles today. I managed to shave a minute off my mile by running really fast, then slowing down to a jog, then running really fast....is that a tempo run? I'm not sure as the tempo runs confuse me, but whatever I did today felt great!

So, now my goal is to be able to run really fast like that all the time LOL (isnt everybodys???). :happy: :happy: :happy:

So, I'm stil slow but today I ran a 11:32 min mile...my fastest time that I know of, which means I'm improving!!

Tomorrow is my long run and I look forward to it.

Happy Running everyone!!
  • sonia2
    sonia2 Posts: 154
    Options
    I just love reading about everyones accomplishments!!! It's so motivating!!

Sherry, I just hate to hear about that pesky fracture. That is a bummer!

Raymond, I am so addicted to my new Garmin 405!!!

Well, I just accomplished my longest run yet. *8 MILES--- YAY! It hurt badly! It's 87% humidity, dew point is 74, and temp is 78degrees. It was so hard, but i finished in 87 minutes. It was supposed to be a slow run for me and that it was. Good day everyone!!!
  • gustergirl
    Options
    Happy Sunday!! It is my daughters "fake bday" today (next sunday is her real bday) We are having her party with 25 kids for 3 hours at the local Y. I think that might be harder than running :) LOLOL I completed 4 miles this morning with the local running club. So excited--I finished in 40 minutes so thats a new PR for me:drinker: I totally need to run with other people to keep my motivation up. There was an older man in red shorts who was the only other slow one so I just keep focused on those shorts:bigsmile: My schedule probably wont allow me to get back with the club till August but it was exciting to be out with other runners. It felt like I was with you guys!! :laugh:
  • 515TeachNRun
    515TeachNRun Posts: 6,387 Member
    Options
    Good morning, a nice four for me. I was under ten minute miles so I am happy with that!

Happy running everyone!
  • sonia2
    sonia2 Posts: 154
    Options
    Great 40 minutes, Gustegirl!!! :drinker: Boy, it DOES help to run with others, because for me I tend to be competiitive enough to go faster than normal.
  • kechiemc
    kechiemc Posts: 1,355 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon:flowerforyou:

Today was my "long" run, 60 minutes. Afterwards I stained my deck.:drinker:

Enjoy the day
    -Kechie.
  • SatelliteCrush80
    SatelliteCrush80 Posts: 3,575 Member
    Options
    Today is a rest day for me, so I am getting some things done at home before we go out later.

Last night, we went to a party and I got to talking with some other running fiends. After some really good conversation, one of them mentioned that she just signed up for a half-marathon in the fall that's part of the Baltimore Marathon. She's at about the same level as I am, so I was really impressed with her ambition. Now that I have that bug in my ear, I'm kind of considering signing up for it myself. I'm in no way under the impression that I can get from running 4-ish miles now to 13.1 by October, but the idea of having something to really train hard for appeals to me. If I even get to the point where I can run over half of it (my goal would be able to run about 8) and walk when I need to, I'd be really proud of myself.

So, I guess the question is...does it seem reasonable to go from 4-ish miles to 8 by October if I continue to add onto my long run each week?
  • ElizaS148
    ElizaS148 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    WOW!! This site is GREAT. :happy:

Sonia2 - 8 miles is awesome!!! Congrats girl. What an accomplishment. I hope to be able to get to where you are. Liz
  • kechiemc
    kechiemc Posts: 1,355 Member
    Options
    Last night, we went to a party and I got to talking with some other running fiends. After some really good conversation, one of them mentioned that she just signed up for a half-marathon in the fall that's part of the Baltimore Marathon. She's at about the same level as I am, so I was really impressed with her ambition. Now that I have that bug in my ear, I'm kind of considering signing up for it myself. I'm in no way under the impression that I can get from running 4-ish miles now to 13.1 by October, but the idea of having something to really train hard for appeals to me. If I even get to the point where I can run over half of it (my goal would be able to run about 8) and walk when I need to, I'd be really proud of myself.

So, I guess the question is...does it seem reasonable to go from 4-ish miles to 8 by October if I continue to add onto my long run each week?

Absolutely. For me personally, when I'm running at a comfortable pace anything over 4 miles is the same distance. Whether I'm running 6, 8, 10, or 13.1 something happens to me after 4 miles and I just keep going. I have not tried my theory running farther than 13.1 miles yet.:laugh:

I believe that if:
    a. You are willing to keep training 3 days a week with a weekly long run that keeps getting a little bit longer.
    b. Your only goal is to finish the race. Your time will be a PR no matter what.
    c. You are already running 4 miles.
    d. You are willing to walk the half when you need to.
    e. You are not going to beat yourself up or quit running if you can't "run" the whole race.
    f. You respect the distance. Compared to a marathon it doesn't sound that far but it is. You will need to be mentally prepared as well.:laugh:

I say definitely go for it. You can count on me for support.:flowerforyou: