Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    What are black beans ? :/

Beans......that are black :noway:

lol
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    From a Stanford University study and published in Men's Health magazine. The same holds true for women. Add lean protein daily and you're golden.

1. Spinach
    2. Yogurt - label must specify "live active cultures"
    3. Tomatoes
    4. Black beans
    5. Carrots
    6. Blueberries
    7. Walnuts (raw)
    8. Oats

The study did provide some alternatives if you just can't stomach the above foods, but the alternatives provide fewer benefits. They are:

1. Kale or romaine lettuce
    4. Pinto or kidney beans
    5. Pumpkin, sweet potatoes
    7. Almonds (raw)
    What happens if you have an allergy to any of the foods on that list? Do you still have to eat them? :huh:
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    From a Stanford University study and published in Men's Health magazine. The same holds true for women. Add lean protein daily and you're golden.

1. Spinach
    2. Yogurt - label must specify "live active cultures"
    3. Tomatoes
    4. Black beans
    5. Carrots
    6. Blueberries
    7. Walnuts (raw)
    8. Oats

The study did provide some alternatives if you just can't stomach the above foods, but the alternatives provide fewer benefits. They are:

1. Kale or romaine lettuce
    4. Pinto or kidney beans
    5. Pumpkin, sweet potatoes
    7. Almonds (raw)
    What happens if you have an allergy to any of the foods on that list? Do you still have to eat them? :huh:
    If you're allergic to any, you're surely going to die. You will die if you eat it from being allergic...and if you don't you will because you didn't eat the foods you "should". Sorry to bring the bad news, I'm just the messenger. :smokin:
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,275 Member
    Options
    I had been hearing about how good walnuts were and wondered about pecans so I looked them up and they are as good for you as walnuts. So there is another alternative. Interesting post. Thanks
  • ltd42127
    Options
    Of course it's not saying you HAVE to eat these every day and certainly you wouldn't eat what you are allergic to. If you will think about it, these foods just happen to be "stars" in the categories of antioxidants, omega fats, fiber, phytonutrients. There are many others you can substitute that are as good or close. BTW - I hate the frozen blueberries too, but when stirred into yogurt they make a delicious frozen yogurt treat! As do many frozen fruits!

13827730.png
  • woou
    woou Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    0/8 here :laugh:
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Of course it's not saying you HAVE to eat these every day and certainly you wouldn't eat what you are allergic to. If you will think about it, these foods just happen to be "stars" in the categories of antioxidants, omega fats, fiber, phytonutrients. There are many others you can substitute that are as good or close. BTW - I hate the frozen blueberries too, but when stirred into yogurt they make a delicious frozen yogurt treat! As do many frozen fruits!
    It's not saying anything but listing foods that you "should" eat daily. There is no reasoning being provided here.
  • HBinOC
    HBinOC Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I can only eat blueberries in my salads- not a big fruit eater.
    But I eat regularly in a week these items- some more so than others on different days.

Dislike tomatoes... Like sauce... but not the veggie itself.
  • ltd42127
    Options
    If you go to the article website: http://eatthis.menshealth.com/content/8-foods-you-should-eat-every-day it explains the "why" for each food. As I said, they are each "stars" for certain nutritional necessities.
  • Bpothik13
    Bpothik13 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Same here!! Love it!
  • andrejjorje
    andrejjorje Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    LOL.

• PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Interesting that so many people are rearing to go get all these items from the store and start eating them everyday when there isn't even a REASON listed as to WHY! Just you "should". Even to be healthy, these exact foods do not specifically need to be eaten every day....there are many many ways to have a healthy diet.

Gullible and will believe anything because a media source said so.
  • andrejjorje
    andrejjorje Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    That's why we're here. To complete each other. Good job!!
    If you go to the article website: it explains the "why" for each food. As I said, they are each "stars" for certain nutritional necessities.
  • odeshee
    odeshee Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    Interesting that so many people are rearing to go get all these items from the store and start eating them everyday when there isn't even a REASON listed as to WHY! Just you "should". Even to be healthy, these exact foods do not specifically need to be eaten every day....there are many many ways to have a healthy diet.

Gullible and will believe anything because a media source said so.

If you actually go read the article, there ARE reasons given for each food.

And it's not "gullible" to believe that leafy greens, fruits, vegetables, beans, and raw nuts are things that should be regular parts of your diet. That's common sense. If the magazine had said "You should be eating cheeseburgers, fries, and Twinkies every day," and everyone rushed to the grocery store, that would be different.
  • kmfolkins
    Options
    If I ate beans everyday, I wouldn't have any friends.

LOL, funny! Me either
  • whitleynoel
    whitleynoel Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Wow I actually do pretty good on this list! For those of you that aren't spinach lovers try throwing it in your smooties is an awesome way to get the vitamins with tasting it at all. A good/fast breakfast: 1 frozen banana, 1/2 scoop protien powder, 2 Tbsp peanut/almond butter, splash of milk, and spinach to the top of the blender!
  • MoogieOh
    MoogieOh Posts: 141
    Options

Lol soon as I posted that I knew someone would say that. I meant more towards where do they orginate from? They can't be that common as they arent in most western styled cooking? Or are they? Ive never cooked them before
  • divamsm
    divamsm Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    You can buy frozen blueberries. Walmart and Kroger has big bags of them. Makes it easy to pop into a smoothie, or whatever.
  • nayrairam
    Options
    1. Spinach, kale, or romaine lettuce: I really need to work on upping my intake of these.
    2. Yogurt: no problem. I eat it every day
    3. Tomatoes, pumpkin, or sweet potatoes: I'm not allowed by the doctor to eat tomatoes, but I'll definitely work on increasing my intake of sweet potatoes or winter squashes
    4. Black, pinto, or kidney beans: I already serve beans twice a week; I suppose I could up it to 3 times, but probably not more than that
    5. Carrots: I'm way short on these. I guess I'll add eating a raw carrot each afternoon. That's doable.
    6. Blueberries: yuck. I know I should like them, but I don't.
    7. Walnuts (raw) or almonds (raw): I eat almonds most days, but not raw. Hmmm
    8. Oats: I'm thinking calories

I think that it would be hard to eat ALL of those things EVERY day on the number of calories I'm allowed by MFP (1200), but I'm certainly going to try to bump up how often I eat some of them.
    How do you cook your black beans? I am not sure how I could incorporate them into my diet without a struggle.