Were you ever bullied in school for being overweight? How di

Options

Replies

• Jessie_Dawn
    Options
    I went through all of elementary school and part of junior high being called "budha (sp?)". I remember being about 7 or 8 playing (maybe a lil older), anyway, we were playing out behind the elementary school. There was a slight grassy hill and while running down the hill, one of the boys said, "Budha, you should just roll, you'd go so much faster" I think that comment scarred me forever.. it was cruel and mean...

In jr high this guy told me I should let him "touch" me since I was fat no one else would ever want to and it would be the only chance I would ever have for someone to do that... someone else over heard him and turned him in for harrassment....

In High school, I wore shorts to school one day and this guy kept calling me thunder thighs saying fat people shouldn't wear shorts. He finally pissed my best friend off (who was about 6'6 and every bit of 300 lbs at the time) and he shoved the guy against the lockers and told him if he ever heard the guy say anything about me again he'd personally beat his @$$... Needless to say, he never bothered me again. BUT, almost 15 years later, I still have not worn a pair of shorts....

But even as an adult, I have had people make fun of me. When I was out walking one day, these guys drove past me and said I would crack the cement and maybe I should just sit down... It's not just kids that are mean, but adults too. And it's sad. I'm one of the nicest people... I have a big heart and will do anything for anyone...

But now, at 31, I don't let these comments comand who I am. I am working on losing the weight, to be healthy and so I'll be around to see my kids get married and have kids... I won't let anyone get to me, cause honestly, the comments only hurt if you let them! :happy:
  • PhatAndy
    PhatAndy Posts: 285
    Options
    thats not fair, i was never bullied and always had amazing friends.
    im sorry people have to experience that, some people are just so horrrid! :(

Beautiful people (To Society) usually aren't bullied :p

that may be true, but its not fair, theres so many people on this post that have had to go through hell because they didnt meet a certain protocal set by stupid people!!!!!

Unfortunately society today is cruel, and its not fair =( But I am glad it happened. It truely makes you a stronger person.
  • ARDuBaie
    ARDuBaie Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I was chunky in school, not really overweight. I did have big breast. In sixth grade, my breast basically rested on my desk because I was short and for my feet to touch the ground, my chair was low. I was bullied everyday about needing a desk to support my huge breast.

You know, though, that the bullying does not end after you graduate. I started gaining weight in my 20s with three gestational diabetes pregnancies. When I went to college, I was picked on all the time. No one wanted to be with the fat girl. Not that they were skinny, but I suppose that they didn't want someone fatter than them on the team. I was a horrible experience.

The kids in school have to learn it somewhere. They learn it from their parents. Some of them probably had parents like the ones that bullied me in college.

Media doesn't help the situation when they present people who are overweight as lacking intelligence, willpower, motivation, energy, etc. This just make bullies feel that they have the right to pick on overweight people.

It is a sad fact that industry educate people to accept people of different cultures, religions, etc. but people who are overweight still are being bullied. I don't know why that is so, it just is.
  • PhatAndy
    Options
    It makes me feel sad to hear the amount of bullying that has gone on and that people can be so mean!

I was bullied from when I was around 12yo for being 'fat'... I wasn't even overweight. It caused me to stop eating at school because I was ashamed to be seen with food at all. That then spread into my home life and I became really thin. Had to be taken out of school because I was ill and I was depressed.

Took me until I was 18 to get over it, I met my current boyfriend and I was happy again! :) Now I'm trying to get my weight back to healthy as I gained a lot of weight since I was 18! :)

Im glad it all turned out for you! sorry for your expiriences! The important part is that you now love yourself and arent just happy because of the boyfriend. But I think thats VERY cool that you met such a nice guy to support you on your journey!
  • PhatAndy
    Options
    I was chunky in school, not really overweight. I did have big breast. In sixth grade, my breast basically rested on my desk because I was short and for my feet to touch the ground, my chair was low. I was bullied everyday about needing a desk to support my huge breast.

You know, though, that the bullying does not end after you graduate. I started gaining weight in my 20s with three gestational diabetes pregnancies. When I went to college, I was picked on all the time. No one wanted to be with the fat girl. Not that they were skinny, but I suppose that they didn't want someone fatter than them on the team. I was a horrible experience.

The kids in school have to learn it somewhere. They learn it from their parents. Some of them probably had parents like the ones that bullied me in college.

Media doesn't help the situation when they present people who are overweight as lacking intelligence, willpower, motivation, energy, etc. This just make bullies feel that they have the right to pick on overweight people.

It is a sad fact that industry educate people to accept people of different cultures, religions, etc. but people who are overweight still are being bullied. I don't know why that is so, it just is.

Jade, Society pisses me off.. you would think its just kids are cruel but thats not always the fact is it.. Some people really dont think before they talk. Im sorry you have had such a terrible time.
  • Etiqueta
    Etiqueta Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I was picked on throughout school because I'm overweight and have had cystic acne since I was 9. It came to the point where I hardly ever talked in school and just kinda followed some "friends" around silently because I couldn't be bothered talking. People would pass around degrading notes about me, they'd say awful things to me, etc. I consider myself lucky about not being physically bullied because I did witness kids get hurt. I actually found out recently that some of my "friends" were only friends with me because they felt bad for me. Now I know who my real friends are, though.

My mom constantly says something about my weight and she can't ever just make it sound like she's concerned. She'll say things like "You look pregnant and other people probably think that, too.".

I was recently diagnosed with bipolar disorder, depression, and anxiety, and it's mainly stemmed from my childhood.
  • PhatAndy
    Options
    I went through all of elementary school and part of junior high being called "budha (sp?)". I remember being about 7 or 8 playing (maybe a lil older), anyway, we were playing out behind the elementary school. There was a slight grassy hill and while running down the hill, one of the boys said, "Budha, you should just roll, you'd go so much faster" I think that comment scarred me forever.. it was cruel and mean...

In jr high this guy told me I should let him "touch" me since I was fat no one else would ever want to and it would be the only chance I would ever have for someone to do that... someone else over heard him and turned him in for harrassment....

In High school, I wore shorts to school one day and this guy kept calling me thunder thighs saying fat people shouldn't wear shorts. He finally pissed my best friend off (who was about 6'6 and every bit of 300 lbs at the time) and he shoved the guy against the lockers and told him if he ever heard the guy say anything about me again he'd personally beat his @$$... Needless to say, he never bothered me again. BUT, almost 15 years later, I still have not worn a pair of shorts....

But even as an adult, I have had people make fun of me. When I was out walking one day, these guys drove past me and said I would crack the cement and maybe I should just sit down... It's not just kids that are mean, but adults too. And it's sad. I'm one of the nicest people... I have a big heart and will do anything for anyone...

But now, at 31, I don't let these comments comand who I am. I am working on losing the weight, to be healthy and so I'll be around to see my kids get married and have kids... I won't let anyone get to me, cause honestly, the comments only hurt if you let them! :happy:

GREAT inspiration! Im glad life turned out so good for you to have such a beautiful family. they are just words, immature words from immature people.
  • julies90
    julies90 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    That is just horrible. I can't believe how horrible people/kids can be. It makes me so upset.
    Seriously, there is so much coverage and rage when for example, homosexual kids are bullied in school(Don't get me wrong, I think that is equally terrible) But there needs to be so much more said about bullying in general, for kids of any shape and size. It should not be tolerated and (especially) teens who bully, especially in the form of assault (like basketballs) should be prosecuted. It is so awful. Fat jokes shouldn't really even be considered at all appropriate. You never know who you are hurting.
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    Yes, I did get bullied a lot.
    Not so much for being overweight, since I wasn't really overweight until after I had my son (although I was larger than a lot of other girls, so that definitely got pointed out more than once), but for being too homely/ugly, too tall, too shy, too smart, having too many freckles, having frizzy hair, not having nice clothes (my family was not very well off so we couldn't afford name brand anything), and just about everything else.

It really wreaked havoc on my self-esteem and, to this day, it is very hard to see good qualities (except that I have a lot of confidence about my figure because I have come so far and have worked so hard to get it strong and healthy) about my appearance.

That being said, it made me a lot more compassionate and really pushed me to be an example for others.
    I never want my behavior or the things I say to tear someone else down because I know firsthand how painful that is.

Also, to the OP - I am so glad you have overcome those horrible things said and done to you. You should be incredibly proud of yourself for that.
  • PhatAndy
    Options
    I was picked on throughout school because I'm overweight and have had cystic acne since I was 9. It came to the point where I hardly ever talked in school and just kinda followed some "friends" around silently because I couldn't be bothered talking. People would pass around degrading notes about me, they'd say awful things to me, etc. I consider myself lucky about not being physically bullied because I did witness kids get hurt. I actually found out recently that some of my "friends" were only friends with me because they felt bad for me. Now I know who my real friends are, though.

My mom constantly says something about my weight and she can't ever just make it sound like she's concerned. She'll say things like "You look pregnant and other people probably think that, too.".

I was recently diagnosed with bipolar disorder, depression, and anxiety, and it's mainly stemmed from my childhood.

Myself, Borderline personality disorder, Anxiety of every kind (Except OCD) And Depression, all from childhood. you are on a good path surrounded by good people here. and im sorry for your hard times.
  • PhatAndy
    Options
    Yes, I did get bullied a lot.
    Not so much for being overweight, since I wasn't really overweight until after I had my son (although I was larger than a lot of other girls, so that definitely got pointed out more than once), but for being too homely/ugly, too tall, too shy, too smart, having too many freckles, having frizzy hair, not having nice clothes (my family was not very well off so we couldn't afford name brand anything), and just about everything else.

It really wreaked havoc on my self-esteem and, to this day, it is very hard to see good qualities (except that I have a lot of confidence about my figure because I have come so far and have worked so hard to get it strong and healthy) about my appearance.

That being said, it made me a lot more compassionate and really pushed me to be an example for others.
    I never want my behavior or the things I say to tear someone else down because I know firsthand how painful that is.

Also, to the OP - I am so glad you have overcome those horrible things said and done to you. You should be incredibly proud of yourself for that.

your progress on this site inspires me, and im glad how you turned out in life. thats exactly it! you know how it feels first hand so you want to do anything and everything to stop it from happening again!
  • Cassiet
    Cassiet Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Thats awful :brokenheart: I to was bullied, told on the bus by boys 5 yrs older than me, that I was jus a fat b****, and that's all I would ever be...the way you overcome this is through perserverance, proving the bullies wrong everyday of your life waking up with a smile on your face proud to be you! The words may be hurtful, as that is their intent, but they really have nothing on you, you are in control of your destiny and how your life turns out, good luck hun...and put a smile on your face :happy:
  • Dtho5159
    Dtho5159 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    I was bullied/made fun of for several reasons:

Elementary school was mostly because I was too ugly, I couldn't afford nice clothes (got lots from thrift shops)
    Middle school was mostly because I was still too ugly, had bad acne AND started being overweight
    High School was mostly because I was still too ugly and was overweight

In fact, I am still criticized from a girl I went to High School with (I find out from mutual friends since she blocked me on Facebook) and she says that Im a whale, I don't deserve to have my kids, I only had kids for the paycheck (My son is special needs and on SSI) oh and the kicker, that my husband needs to have a paper bag over my head to have sex with me.... Um..... Yeah.....
  • PhatAndy
    Options
    Thats awful :brokenheart: I to was bullied, told on the bus by boys 5 yrs older than me, that I was jus a fat b****, and that's all I would ever be...the way you overcome this is through perserverance, proving the bullies wrong everyday of your life waking up with a smile on your face proud to be you! The words may be hurtful, as that is their intent, but they really have nothing on you, you are in control of your destiny and how your life turns out, good luck hun...and put a smile on your face :happy:

It makes for good motivation doesent it? LOL. look at you go! Great progress! keep it up!
  • PhatAndy
    Options
    I was bullied/made fun of for several reasons:

Elementary school was mostly because I was too ugly, I couldn't afford nice clothes (got lots from thrift shops)
    Middle school was mostly because I was still too ugly, had bad acne AND started being overweight
    High School was mostly because I was still too ugly and was overweight

In fact, I am still criticized from a girl I went to High School with (I find out from mutual friends since she blocked me on Facebook) and she says that Im a whale, I don't deserve to have my kids, I only had kids for the paycheck (My son is special needs and on SSI) oh and the kicker, that my husband needs to have a paper bag over my head to have sex with me.... Um..... Yeah.....

WOW!!!! That is AWFUL!! I cringed when I read this... What a b***h. Clearly she is incredibly immature. you are on a good path already surrounded by great people.. Im sorry you had such a bad experience!
  • Pocket_Pixi
    Pocket_Pixi Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    Yes, from grade four until grade 9 for being over weight, although I was bullied through grade 12 for various things from my height, to being different, you name it...

I gained a ton of weight between grades 4 - 7 and was the typical "no one likes you because you are fat, ugly etc etc etc" I was made fun of, pushed around, called names. The summer before grade 8, my mom and I lost weight using weight watchers. By the beginning of grade 9 I had lost almost 60 pounds went from 150ish to around 90 pounds (I am 4'10ish) I went from being picked on because I was fat to being picked on because I was obviously anorexic, I had mental issues, I was this that or the other thing. I wont get into specifics but it was horrible, I had very few friends, no self esteem, hated myself, cried all the time.

I actually think back to that and am kind of thankful for everything they did to me as crazy as that may seem. It has made me who I am today, I am a very kind compassionate person who never judges anyone by the way they look. I do still struggle with my self-esteem and not hating myself but that is partially because I have gained so much weight. I recently seen a few of my bullies while at a wedding and I was very shocked to see that all of the ones who picked on me the most about being fat are now fat themselves, which did give me a bit of satisfation knowing the karma bus hit them.
  • Cassiet
    Cassiet Posts: 80 Member
    Options

It makes for good motivation doesent it? LOL. look at you go! Great progress! keep it up!

Yup sure does! :laugh: and same to you!
  • marquesajen
    Options
    I'm so sorry that happened to you, nobody should go through it, but you're right. It does make a person stronger, or at least some people.

I was made fun of all through school, elementary to 9th grade. I was also very tall, the tallest girl through elementary school (also taller than the boys) and most of middle school, so I got to be the tall 'freak' too. Joy. It was mostly mean kids being mean to me, just rude comments. Middle school I had an arch enemy, he was no prize himself, but his locker was next to mine in an out of the way area and he'd tease me all morning at the lockers, he'd stick cards down the back of my shirt in math class, and it got to the point where we kicked and hit each other once because I was so angry. When I'd ride my bike around our complex during middle school years, high school guys would make fun of me every time I passed them. The worst was when they were throwing eggs and missed me, so I hid by another building. One thing that made a difference, their one friend came over to me and apologized for his friends stupid behavior. It was a tiny glimmer of hope that I clung to. By 9th grade I'd get teased by those same guys every morning when I walked to my first class, but then after a couple of months, miracle of miracles, their one silent friend reamed them out for doing that and I was left alone. A guy in my neighborhood was teasing me later that year when we got off the bus, but his friend finally told him to let it go, it'd been years, he needed to stop. The weird thing is that by my junior year of high school many of these people started being nice to me and even got to be friends.

A small part of me wants to stomp on their foot if they ever mention me getting thin/hot/fit when I reach my goal. I'm not so forgiving as to totally forget the past.
  • rainunrefined
    rainunrefined Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Yes, I was. From probably 4th grade through 8th grade. It started with kids my own age co-ed.. they'd just pick on me, nothing physical. Then some older girls came into the picture and even girls my own age. I was called a cow, a whale and at one point in 7th grade I was barked at in the hallway at school.

I always had great friends and those bullies ultimately grew up and I can carry on a conversation with today (I'm from a very small town where everyone knows everyone) when I run into them. But, it really did affect my personality. I have always been self-conscious because of it and I will always have ill feelings regarding that part of my life.
  • heleflump
    Options
    I have not suffered the extremes as many of the poor souls on here - more of the relentless jibes and jokes at my expense - from about the age of 7. It has taken years of reflection and a hugely supportive loving family, for me to come to following realisation: I wasn't really fat - just bigger than most of the others. But as a result of me accepting their jibes as being the truth, I have managed to convice myself for years that I "can't" be slim (i don't ever actually want to be thin) because I will always be fat. It has been this conditioning of my mind over years that has prevented me from thinking I would ever deserve to be slim and attractive.

However, I do think I owe a lot to those cruel children, teenagers and grown adults. I have an AMAZING sense of humour that can get me out of nearly every situation. I have a DAMN fine list of cutting (yet hysterically funny) comebacks to get my own back, and, most importantly, I will NEVER put anyone through the sheer hellish saddness and lonliness I sometimes felt - nor will my children, or my grandchildren as and when I have any - for as long as I live I will make sure that none of my family ever become bloated and ugly from within - as that is how I now see such people: They may have perfect BMI, they may outwardly have looks and a good figure - but to be beautiful and attractive, you have to have a beautiful soul and personality. Anyone who has ever bullied someone - for whatever reason fails on all counts and they can't get rid of it through diet or exercise - they will remain that way forever. So who are the real winners??

Hugs to all of you - it makes me so sad to read these stories - because in the main it means it came from children - and to be that irreparably damaged that young is very sad (and I mean the bullies)

SO what do I now think - well, from this site it is so clear to see how many people are finding out the truth - you deserve everything you want and more - you can do it, if that's what you want - and to all those hateful bullies - tell them to look in the mirror really hard - being that mean takes its toll on ones face - and invariably they have faces that resemble those of dog chewing on a wasp - twisted!!!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!