Paleo diet?

Options

Replies

• chammich
    chammich Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I'm doing Paleo. No grains, dairy, or unnatural sweeteners. The plan basically emphasis eat food in it's natural state, no processed anything. I've lost 21 pounds in 30 days and feel great. I sleep better, my skin is clearer, and I don't feel like a slug. The reason it seems restrictive is because society is processed food friendly. Everything you see on a store shelf has been made for us with additives included. To make this work for me I plan ahead, join support groups, and accept it as a lifestyle change.

The comments are this posting from people who have or tried Paleo are all positive. The ones from the people who argue against it have not.
  • michellecorvin
    michellecorvin Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I have friends doing it and they love it! I think cutting out processed / refined foods and sugar is great. I think the other stuff in moderation is not bad.
  • KBGirts
    KBGirts Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    :huh:
    what I don't get is why would we want to eat like they did thousands of years ago when the lift expectancy was less than 40 years of age??

^^^^THIS^^^^

This argument is simply silly because it assumes the only predictor of longevity is diet and also ignores the fact that there is a lot of disagreement about the actual longevity of our pre-civilization ancestors.

We simply cannot ignore things like modern buildings that protect us from the elements and modern medicine which handles things well. If an ancient ancestor broke a bone or got a bad tooth cavity it could lead to an untimely end. Not to mention greater risk from predators and neighboring tribes, higher infant mortality rates, illnesses that now have been all but eradicated through vaccination, etc.

How can you 100% sure that he diet didn't contributed to the shorter life expectancy?

Because we are aware of the other factors involved...
    We have a working brain, perhaps???
  • chammich
    chammich Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    And I forgot to mention....modern medicine is why people live longer now and not in the caveman days. Not because of what they ate.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    what I don't get is why would we want to eat like they did thousands of years ago when the lift expectancy was less than 40 years of age??

^^^^THIS^^^^

The average life expectancy was lower because they didn't have the protection and shelter that we have today and they didn't have doctors and hospitals that we have today, and they had to hunt and gather and migrate, etc. which left them very vulnerable to injury and illness.

Why is that even an arguement against the diet? Anyone can understand the difference. :laugh:

diet has a lot to do with overall health which has a lot to do with life expectancy. I'm not saying the diet caused the short lives, but how do you know it didn't contribute?
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options

^^^^THIS^^^^

This argument is simply silly because it assumes the only predictor of longevity is diet and also ignores the fact that there is a lot of disagreement about the actual longevity of our pre-civilization ancestors.

We simply cannot ignore things like modern buildings that protect us from the elements and modern medicine which handles things well. If an ancient ancestor broke a bone or got a bad tooth cavity it could lead to an untimely end. Not to mention greater risk from predators and neighboring tribes, higher infant mortality rates, illnesses that now have been all but eradicated through vaccination, etc.

Thank you....!
    So pay attention to all the advances in technology, ignore anything nutrition related. Got it. :huh:
  • KBGirts
    Options

^^^^THIS^^^^

The average life expectancy was lower because they didn't have the protection and shelter that we have today and they didn't have doctors and hospitals that we have today, and they had to hunt and gather and migrate, etc. which left them very vulnerable to injury and illness.

Why is that even an arguement against the diet? Anyone can understand the difference. :laugh:

diet has a lot to do with life expectancy and overall health. I'm not saying the diet caused the short lives, but how do you know it didn't contribute?

It very well could have.... just like the SAD could be contributing to all the obesity, heart disease, diabetes....
  • troysvihl
    troysvihl Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've known about the Paleo/Primal/etc diets for some time. There are differences between the diets, but they're all basically refined variations of Atkins, geared towards keeping your blood sugar from spiking.

I didn't really buy into them, instead adhering to the idea that a calories, is a calories, is a calorie. That is, until I read Gary Taubes book "Why We Get Fat and What to Do About It." He looked at the history of fat research and came to similar conclusions as Atkins, Paleo, Primal, et al. Not all calories are equal and the calories that are driving the increase in weight in humans are carbs, particularily carbs that spike blood sugar.

I thought I had understood the rational behind the anti-carb theories. Taubes also explained the biochemistry behind this theory in a way that really sunk home some very subtle points behind the anti-carb theories. One statement in his book really drove it home for me:

"Peopel don't get fat because they're eating too much. They're eating too much because they're getting fat."

Until you understand that statement, you don't understand the Paleo, Primal, or other low-carb/refined foods diets. Reading that one statement, was a real epiphany and totally changed how I thought about the anti-carb theories.

Since reading that book, I went on a no carb diet that is pretty much the same as the Paleo diet. Lots of veggies and meat. No carbs that are going to spike my blood sugar level. So far, I have had no problem staying on the diet. And that's really the important part. You can lose weight on almost any diet. The tricky part is sticking to the diet. I now know counting calories isn't the way for me.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    I'm doing Paleo. No grains, dairy, or unnatural sweeteners. The plan basically emphasis eat food in it's natural state, no processed anything. I've lost 21 pounds in 30 days and feel great. I sleep better, my skin is clearer, and I don't feel like a slug. The reason it seems restrictive is because society is processed food friendly. Everything you see on a store shelf has been made for us with additives included. To make this work for me I plan ahead, join support groups, and accept it as a lifestyle change.

The comments are this posting from people who have or tried Paleo are all positive. The ones from the people who argue against it have not.
    That's called "drinking the Kool-Aid".
  • erickirb
    Options

^^^^THIS^^^^

How can you 100% sure that he diet didn't contributed to the shorter life expectancy?

So you know for a fact that this diet wasn't a factor at all. How do you know this?

FYI: My brain works quite well that's why I don't make statements I can't back up.
  • evansproudmama
    Options
    I have been Primal (very similar to Paleo, but slightly less restrictive with regards to dairy) for almost 8 months, and I have never been happier or healthier. Please read my blog post here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/4milesat40/view/6-months-primal-179202 and also come check out the Primal/Paleo group forum here on MFP.

It's the best thing I've ever done for myself, and I think everyone should give it a serious try for 30 days before knocking it.

:)
    Amy

This!!
    Amy introduced me to it and I have been doing it for about a month (2 weeks with out cheating) and I love it!! I love that they encourage you to eat your carbs from fruit and veggies unlike atkins and such its not so restrictive.. My only problem is getting fast food out of my diet so I challanged myself this month to 30 days of no fast food on day 3 lol You just read up on it and give it a try for a week or two and see how you feel.
  • 5em9
    5em9 Posts: 9
    Options
    This kind of eating is based on a theory of what you might call "evolutionary nutrition," that the optimal diet for humans is the one we were eating during the paleolithic era.

My problems with this are:
    -You can't really nail down what people ate during that time period. The only real conclusion you can draw is that people ate whatever happened to be available, and that people can thrive on many different types of diets --> I think paleo is more about what do we currently eat that we definitely didn't used to eat? Basically everything that came around since the advent of modern agriculture.

-Even if we could nail down what people ate during that period, and even if it were the same for all humans living everywhere, what evidence is there that a diet from that particular historical period is optimal --> i think there are a lot of modern ailments that support the paleo paradigm. Take lactose intolerance for example. For thousands of years, humans didn't have milk past infancy, and we evolved accordingly. By the time we're 25, a majority of us no longer produce sufficient amounts of lactase (the enzyme that digests lactose sugar in milk) to fully digest milk products. Another example would be celiac disease, which is basically when grains destroy the lining of your intestinal tract reducing your ability to absorb nutrition (it can also be really painful).

The most compelling evidence would have to be doing the diet yourself, and monitoring how you feel. I know it's unrealistic for me to go paleo, but I play around with different aspects of it. Basically it comes down to how much do you care about how you feel, and how far are you willing to compromise to accomplish it

The positive aspects of the diet is that it focuses on the elimination of processed foods. While I agree that processed foods should be limited, I still believe they can be part of a healthy diet when consumed in moderation.
  • AlbertPooHoles
    AlbertPooHoles Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    What are one's farts like with this Paleo diet?
  • Nmetzler034
    Nmetzler034 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Very unlikely that you will gain muscle while on calorie deficit. But at the very least you can improve your strength, and maintain as much muscle mass as you can as you slim down. I'd suggest sticking with a higher rep-set of 10-15. Lower rep's are more useful when trying to add bulk (muscle.) I know i kind of shot myself in the foot when i was doing low rep exercises because my body didn't have enough calories to build back the muscle from the workout.
  • Happyguy
    Happyguy Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    what I don't get is why would we want to eat like they did thousands of years ago when the lift expectancy was less than 40 years of age?? I just can't get past this to even bother taking the diet seriously.

I understand avoiding processed and refined foods, and to some extent wheat..

Life expectancy was less than 40 years in the United States until late in the 19th century. How much of that was due to inadequate diet versus inadequate medical care is open for debate but I think it is worthy of thought.
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    I jumped on that bandwagon for a few months. Initially, the energy level went up and I lost maybe 2-3 lbs of WATER weight.

And then, that was that. I lost interest. I read more about it, pros & cons. The argument for it just isn't complete. We don't know what paleolithic humans ate. We can make guesses. And there is some evidence, but not much. Also, too many factors about lifespan just conflate and confuse the whole issue.

It's good to the extent it cuts out processed foods... that alone would be a good reason to do it. BUT... I like yogurt, cheese, quinoa, lentils and ice-cream too much. Also, I'm not convinced those things are not recognized by my brain & body as "good fuel." And there is a reason milk, yogurt, cheese are originally fermented and not pasteurized... and that grains are soaked. Read up on that.

Also, don't just read Taubes... I won't say NOT to read Taubes, but don't end your search there.
  • KBGirts
    Options

^^^^THIS^^^^

So you know for a fact that this diet wasn't a factor at all. How do you know this?

FYI: My brain works quite well that's why I don't make statements I can't back up.

Who says I can't back it up? Wanna take a look at my biomarkers pre and post-paleo?
  • erickirb
    Options

^^^^THIS^^^^

Who says I can't back it up? Wanna take a look at my biomarkers pre and post-paleo?

you need a control group with and without not just one before and after to draw any definitive conclusions.
  • FairuzyAmanuzy
    FairuzyAmanuzy Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to read anything the other posters have read because the Paleo/Primal diet bashing makes me kinda angry. Everyone does different diets, and different things work for different people. Personally I do the Primal diet because it makes sense to me. I have so much more energy and the weight is melting off of me. It's hard at first to give up grains. But it gets easier with time and the results are worth it. It isn't a low carb diet, and i get anywhere from 50-150 grams of carbs everyday from just fruits and veggies alone. I would recommed going to marksdailyapple.com and just reading the basics of the primal lifestyle and making up your own mind. Good luck with everything and feel free to add me. I've lost 60 lbs in 6 months and my food diary is open for viewing. http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/#axzz1lLqab6ab
  • KBGirts
    Options

^^^^THIS^^^^

you need a control group with and without not just one before and after to draw any definitive conclusions.

You are correct. So I'll just end with this.... It obviously works for me, so I'll keep doing it. Eveyone else should do what works for them. :flowerforyou: