Feeling awful from Coke Zero?

Options

Replies

• MrsD4ever
    Options
    My usual drinks are water or unsweetened tea. I only rarely drink pop anymore, but when I do it is regular...no diet or zero/any of that stuff. I (personally) think that diet pop is worse than regular & I can not get over the after taste...but that is just my opinion.
  • pg1girl
    pg1girl Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    There's not a lot of sodium in Coke Zero. It's mainly the poison chemicals inside of it ;)

There is no poison in Coke Zero.

I beg to differ. This is poison.(Carbonated water, colour (caramel E150d), phosphoric acid, sweeteners (aspartame, acesulfame-K), flavourings (including caffeine), acidity regulator (E331). Contains a source of phenylalanine.)

Especially the aspartame.

See my comment on page 1 to the "there is no poison". I listed out the poisonous compounds found within coke-zero and what exactly they do.
    And how much of each ingredient does it take to cause any damage?

Why does it matter how much? If you are trying to become healthier and live a longer life....why would you even put small amounts into your body. I don't even chew sugarless gum with artificial sweetner for that reason.
  • IndyInk
    IndyInk Posts: 212
    Options
    Your body is definitely sending you a message. It might be time to try a new go-to drink. I love sodas. Took three months of stirring Stevia-based drink mixes into sparkling water to wean myself off of them, but it can be done.
  • MrsAbbott18
    Options
    The artificial sweetners in almost all of the "Sugar Free" foods and drinks can also cause Joint Pain to become worse in people with Lupus. I stopped drinking almost all types of Soda in highschool. I drank a Sprite a few weeks ago and the next my joint pain was TERRIBLE! No more for me!!!! It definetely is POISON! Coke Zero to be almost at the top.
  • vvanm
    vvanm Posts: 157
    Options
    I had one can of diet coke a day for a long time, thinking it was a filling no calorie treat that gave me a little energy. If I stopped I expected the pounds to creep on, but they didn't. The sweet taste boosts insulin making sugar cravings increase. Now I mix flavored lime or lemon mineral water with a little OJ, grape juice, cranberry juice, etc. and actually like the taste better. Organic decaf coffee and tea are options besides water. I think these sodas are addictive, but once you get out of the habit, they really don't taste good at all. I found fast food to have the same addictive component. Once I started cooking my own healthier versions, my occasional fast food purchases started tasting awful.
  • ❤B☩❤
    Options
    bump
  • shopewell70
    shopewell70 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I was never a soda person to begin with, but on occasion would drink one. I bought some Coke Zero recently and have felt awful and bloated twice after drinking one with dinner. Has anyone else experienced this? Just a coincidence?
    http://www.sweetpoison.com/aspartame-side-effects.html
    Please take a minute and follow this link about aspartame. It will open your eyes to EVERYTHING that has Aspartame in it. About 4 years ago while yoyo dieting, I started drinking flavored water using the flavor packs. I was seriously addicted to the flavor packs. I got really sick, to what I simply thought was a kidney infection. I was in horrific pain. I finally went to the doctor and he said that he found what may be a small trace of a kidney infection but what bothered him was the fact that my blood pressure was 72/52. Now let me say I have NEVER had blood pressure issues. He went ahead an gave me an antibiotic so home I went. After a couple hours of sleep I felt some relief, so I got up an fix myself some flavored water. Immediately after drinking it I was in horrific pain again. I was confused, and for whatever reason I picked the box of flavor packs up and read the ingredients. The only thing that stuck out was the Aspartame. I had heard bits and pieces of it in the past but never understood till I research it at that point. I was shocked and amazed. I quit drinking anything and everything that had Aspartame in it. I want you to know that by the next morning I felt 100% better and within only a few days all symptoms were gone. Not to mention my eyesight was better, and definitly my mood.
    I know this is a long post but I hope this helps understand what that stuff does to you. Also, dont be fooled they now put it under another names such as •Phenylalanine•Phenylketonuria.

Forgot to mention one thing about Aspartame. If you think Aspartame is not a poison/chemical then maybe you should know that it is a chemical used in embalming fluid. Here is resource statement and where it can be found.

Aspartame contains METHANOL, a serious metabolic poison. Your body converts it to formaldehyde (embalming fluid) and formic acid (ant sting poison) both of which attack your central nervous system and every organ of your body.

1. Monte WC. Aspartame: Methyl alcohol and the public health. J Appl Nutr 1984; 36:42-54.

2. Stegink ID, Filer LJ Jr. Aspartame: Physiology and Biochemistry. New York, Marcel Dekker, Inc. 1984.

3. Thrasher JF, Broughton A, Micevich P. Antibodies and immune profiles of individuals occupationally exposed to formaldehyde. Six case reports. Am J Indust M 1988; 14:479-488.
  • MrsD4ever
    Options
    ok, so glad that I don't eat/drink stuff with aspartame. :sick:
  • duharvalgt
    Options
    I was never a soda person to begin with, but on occasion would drink one. I bought some Coke Zero recently and have felt awful and bloated twice after drinking one with dinner. Has anyone else experienced this? Just a coincidence?
    Please take a minute and follow this link about aspartame. It will open your eyes to EVERYTHING that has Aspartame in it. About 4 years ago while yoyo dieting, I started drinking flavored water using the flavor packs. I was seriously addicted to the flavor packs. I got really sick, to what I simply thought was a kidney infection. I was in horrific pain. I finally went to the doctor and he said that he found what may be a small trace of a kidney infection but what bothered him was the fact that my blood pressure was 72/52. Now let me say I have NEVER had blood pressure issues. He went ahead an gave me an antibiotic so home I went. After a couple hours of sleep I felt some relief, so I got up an fix myself some flavored water. Immediately after drinking it I was in horrific pain again. I was confused, and for whatever reason I picked the box of flavor packs up and read the ingredients. The only thing that stuck out was the Aspartame. I had heard bits and pieces of it in the past but never understood till I research it at that point. I was shocked and amazed. I quit drinking anything and everything that had Aspartame in it. I want you to know that by the next morning I felt 100% better and within only a few days all symptoms were gone. Not to mention my eyesight was better, and definitly my mood.
    I know this is a long post but I hope this helps understand what that stuff does to you. Also, dont be fooled they now put it under another names such as •Phenylalanine•Phenylketonuria.

Forgot to mention one thing about Aspartame. If you think Aspartame is not a poison/chemical then maybe you should know that it is a chemical used in embalming fluid. Here is resource statement and where it can be found.

Aspartame contains METHANOL, a serious metabolic poison. Your body converts it to formaldehyde (embalming fluid) and formic acid (ant sting poison) both of which attack your central nervous system and every organ of your body.

1. Monte WC. Aspartame: Methyl alcohol and the public health. J Appl Nutr 1984; 36:42-54.

2. Stegink ID, Filer LJ Jr. Aspartame: Physiology and Biochemistry. New York, Marcel Dekker, Inc. 1984.

3. Thrasher JF, Broughton A, Micevich P. Antibodies and immune profiles of individuals occupationally exposed to formaldehyde. Six case reports. Am J Indust M 1988; 14:479-488.

sigh,
    Methanol (CH3-0H) is contained with in aspartame (C14H18N2O5) it does not have the same properties as it unless it is separate from ,i.e the bonds are broken. The only way to get methanol from aspartame is by hydrolysis at high alkaline or acidic conditions and high temperatures , this reaction (/decomposition) breaks down into aspartic acid, phenylalanine, methanol,formic acid methanal (another product I can't remember it though) but luckily formic acid products are secreated bedfore it's concentration reaches 1.5moldm-3 ( dangerous levels) and btw most vitamin C and A rich fruit juices contain more methanol per mole than aspartame.

Remember aspartame can be dangerous beyond reasonable levels ,but do not believe most case reports as fears and mis-understandings about organic chemistry are manipulated in order to cause controversy.

(last post)
  • beckipercy
    beckipercy Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I much prefer diet coke, I think coke zero is all fizz, I feel the same after drinking pepsi max aswell. I can't drink any fizzy drinks while eating, they bloat me far too much!
  • darkandthewild
    Options
    Thanks for the input. It must be bloating from the carbonation. I'll see if I can find little cans of the real stuff. Sometimes I just want a little taste.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    My doc told me all of the artificial sweeteners will make you retain water.

my doctor told me your doctor is full of it.

I lost all 82 lbs while guzzling coke Zero, I have one open on my desk this very moment, and I am as healthy as can be.

Proof please. Peer reviewed articles that state diet anything is "evil" "poison" or "dangerous" will be considered. Anecdotal evidence will not. Neither will the opinion of your aunt, dog, friend, or "Doctor" Oz.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    if I handed you a gallon of water and put in a few grams of rat poison, would you still want it?

No, that concentration is too high. And the comparison falls apart when you realize that the so-called deadly chemicals in diet soda exist in a ratio more akin to a grain of salt in a swimming pool.
  • slashkiss
    slashkiss Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    The bads far outweigh the goods.

To the person asking how much of the bad chemicals exist... if I handed you a gallon of water and put in a few grams of rat poison, would you still want it?
    If it tasted like Diet Coke, sure.

I am pretty sure I love you ...
  • Chsayer
    Chsayer Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    This is one of the best posts ever. I loved reading everyone either making it sound like it would kill you on the spot, or drink it all you want. I love it.

My opinion? If it seems that your body doesnt like it, don't drink it. Although all humans have matching traits such as having brains, it doesnt mean we are all cookie cutter. Our guts may look the same, but they react differently.
  • NakedLunchTime
    Options

sigh,
    Methanol (CH3-0H) is contained with in aspartame (C14H18N2O5) it does not have the same properties as it unless it is separate from ,i.e the bonds are broken. The only way to get methanol from aspartame is by hydrolysis at high alkaline or acidic conditions and high temperatures , this reaction (/decomposition) breaks down into aspartic acid, phenylalanine, methanol,formic acid methanal (another product I can't remember it though) but luckily formic acid products are secreated bedfore it's concentration reaches 1.5moldm-3 ( dangerous levels) and btw most vitamin C and A rich fruit juices contain more methanol per mole than aspartame.

Remember aspartame can be dangerous beyond reasonable levels ,but do not believe most case reports as fears and mis-understandings about organic chemistry are manipulated in order to cause controversy.

(last post)

Very smart! I like how you explain it with chemisty! I am taking my first chem class and I actually understood this! lol I feel a little proud :) haha
  • blink1021
    blink1021 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    Every once in awhile I need something other than water so I would get a diet soda and then I would feel bloated. Instead of reaching for a soda I make iced tea and sweeten it with splenda and it gives me the break from water without a whole lot of sodium.
  • kellyhogg
    kellyhogg Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I personally don't even like diet sodas. I'd rather have no soda at all.
  • NicoleLyn1818
    Options
    There's not a lot of sodium in Coke Zero. It's mainly the poison chemicals inside of it ;)

There is no poison in Coke Zero.

Really? Well let me provide to you scientific evidence to show you how wrong you are:

Chemicals inside Coke Zero and their listed known safety issues:

caramel E150d - the USDA was petitioned to remove its safe status as it contains 2-methylimidazole and 4-methylimidazole which are carcinogens

phosphoric acid - commonly used for rust removal in chemicals, linked to low bone density, and linked to chronic kidney disease and kidney stones.

aspartame - destroys your body's ability to keep track of satiety, promotes a heavy profile, and doubles your obesity risk as well as being highly addictive. Also linked as a carcinogen.

acesulfame-K - compared to aspartame and saccharin is listed as being the worst in terms of safety (FDA study 1987). Causes cancer in test animals. In 1987 was urged to not be approved by the FDA. Is a breakdown product that affects thyroids in rats, rabbits, and dogs. Has been linked to causing benign thyroid tumors in rats.

E331 acidity regulator - preservative

phenylalanine - is classified as a NEUROTOXIN and excites the neurons in the brain to the point of cellular death. This chemical is 50% of aspartame.

The 1976 Groliers Encyclopedia lists that cancer "cannot live without phenylalanine"

Is found naturally but can be very harmful to diabetics.

I agree with this but just because phenylalanine is a protein involved with cancer does make it bad , for example if you can't metabolise phenylalanine it will lead to problems such as Phenylketonuria ( it causes brain seizures and slows brain development significantaly) what you basically saying is that proteins (2-aminos) cause cancer, only when genes ( typically proto-oncogene ) fail to proliferate correctly does this happen.

Check this web site out.

I have had a few of these side effects. They went away after I quit drinking the poison.

That website and the person writing it ("doctor" Janet Hull) has been proven to be wrong and has been de-bunked. Butttt aspartame isn't good for you, just as too much sugar isn't good for you.
  • shopewell70
    shopewell70 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Well basically this post is no different than any other posts on the forums. Its really all a matter of opinion, but its your choice to decide what fits you better. As everyones' body is different and reacts differently to all that we are exposed to on a day to day basis. Just as other conflicting posts - calories in/calories out, eat your exercise back..yes/no, more protein or less protein, sugar in fruit the same as all other sugars...yes/no, I could go on and on. But, I appreciate you asking the question that you did and I hope you got clarity on both sides of the fence. Take out of it what works for you. If your body is reacting negatively when drinking Coke Zero, then you may want to stop and try something else. Always remember what works for one, doesnt always work for everybody. Good luck on your journey !!!!