Paleo diet?

Options

Replies

• ActorGirl1476
    ActorGirl1476 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I follow what is my own version of this. I do cut out grains, because I feel bloated and nasty when I eat them. I eat mostly meat, vegetables, fruit and sometimes throw in some rice. All natural sugars are fine with me like fruit and honey, but I do my best nowadays to avoid processed foods, and refined sugar. I LOVE dairy far too much to give it up. I think with all the "specific" diets, its best to pick and choose what works best for you, what makes you feel best physically.

This is what works best for me.
  • AlbertPooHoles
    AlbertPooHoles Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Still no response to my hard-hitting question about how this diet affects one's farts. C'mon, guys. I gotta know!
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    Well, thank you everyone for your helpful thoughts and opinions. I have set these goals for myself:

1. Cut out processed/fast foods
    2. Increase fruits and veggies
    3. Decrease refined sugars

Generally good goals but don't get too hung up on "processed". Whey protein for instance is a highly processed food source. "Processed" often (but not always) goes hand in hand with nutritionally scarce and calorie dense, that's when it should be avoided or consumed in moderation.

Good point.
  • mwest11
    mwest11 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Still no response to my hard-hitting question about how this diet affects one's farts. C'mon, guys. I gotta know!

You will just have to conduct your own experiment and let us know. Thank you for the concern on such an important topic.
  • Cassi_Eats_Apples
    Options
    I personally don't want to "diet" I want a lifestyle change, for me, this plan wouldn't be a realistic long term way for me to eat, and it would get awful pricey have to cook me a separate meal every night, because there is no way my 6 year old or my husband would go for it. lol. But if you think its something you could stick to then it does sound like it has benefits, but it wouldn't work for me, and thats okay.
  • AlbertPooHoles
    AlbertPooHoles Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    You will just have to conduct your own experiment and let us know. Thank you for the concern on such an important topic.
    I ask the questions that nobody else dares.
  • NoahStellaMom
    Options
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS.
  • NoahStellaMom
    Options
    This kind of eating is based on a theory of what you might call "evolutionary nutrition," that the optimal diet for humans is the one we were eating during the paleolithic era.

My problems with this are:
    -You can't really nail down what people ate during that time period. The only real conclusion you can draw is that people ate whatever happened to be available, and that people can thrive on many different types of diets
    -Even if we could nail down what people ate during that period, and even if it were the same for all humans living everywhere, what evidence is there that a diet from that particular historical period is optimal
    -There are 7 billion people on earth, we're not feeding them all without grains.

The positive aspects of the diet is that it focuses on the elimination of processed foods. While I agree that processed foods should be limited, I still believe they can be part of a healthy diet when consumed in moderation.

^^^^^ THIS
  • mwest11
    Options
    I understand that you can't have a calorie deficit and see muscle gains

This is technically false. The relatively untrained individual can build muscle on a moderate caloric deficit. The more trained the individual and the lower the body fat, the more difficult it will be.

Good to know... I was under the impression you had to increase calories to see muscle gains. I want to lose the fat but stay muscular. Now I am unsure of where my calorie goals should be..
  • ShandiH
    ShandiH Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Any highly restrictive diet is silly in my opinion. Eating less refined sugar and carbs is great but there's no need to totally eliminate them or anything else. Most of these fad diets use a nice sounding theory as their base and back that up with cherry picked "facts" from actual research, and that's the better ones. When analyzed further, the fad theories usually don't hold much water or are unnecessarily restrictive.

^^^This.
  • Cassi_Eats_Apples
    Options

I know when I eat a lot of veggies and a lot of protein mine smell rotten eggy.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options

Do they ever not smell rotten eggy? Perhaps rose scented on some days?
  • MaggieMay131
    MaggieMay131 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I ask the questions that nobody else dares.

LOL. I'll throw in my 2 cents here - I've been doing mostly paleo for a couple months now. I notice the more strict I am, the less gas I have. Especially dairy. I've cut out dairy and I barely have any gas.

Also, if anyone cares, I have tons of energy and have been making lots of strength gains. I don't totally deprive myself - ie, once a week if we go out to eat I won't worry so much about it. But during the week I am pretty much paleo. It's all about what works for you. If dairy doesn't give you the sniffles or gas, or a grain-heavy lunch doesn't make you tired in the afternoon, then keep on eating them! I've just found I feel SO much better without them.
  • Cassi_Eats_Apples
    Options

Do they ever not smell rotten eggy? Perhaps rose scented on some days?

Well sometimes they don't really smell eggy. Just kinda meh unscented.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options

I have no more gas eating this way...............Add back in some grains or legumes and stomach cramps, farts and diarrhea come back.
  • mwest11
    Options
    Oh yeah.. I am open to people adding me. I am only a couple months in on MFP and don't have many friends in my home town that use this network. So add away if you like!
  • CynthiaElise
    CynthiaElise Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I think this site says it best:

http://www.forbes.com/2009/07/07/healthiest-foods-nutrition-lifestyle-health-healthiest-foods.html

"What is the best diet for human beings?

Vegetarian? Vegan? High-protein? Low-fat? Dairy-Free?

Hold on to your shopping carts: There is NO perfect diet for human beings. At least not one that's based on how much protein, fat or carbohydrates you eat.

People have lived and thrived on high-protein, high-fat diets (the Inuit of Greenland); on low-protein, high-carb diets (the indigenous peoples of southern Africa); on diets high in raw milk and cream (the people of the Loetschental Valley in Switzerland); diets high in saturated fat (the Trobriand Islanders) and even on diets in which animal blood is considered a staple (the Massai of Kenya and Tanzania). And folks have thrived on these diets without the ravages of degenerative diseases that are so epidemic in modern life--heart disease, diabetes, obesity, neurodegenerative diseases, osteoporosis and cancer.

The only thing these diets have in common is that they're all based on WHOLE FOODS with minimum processing. Nuts, berries, beans, raw milk, grass-fed meat. Whole, real, unprocessed food is almost always healthy, regardless of how many grams of carbs, protein or fat it contains.

All these healthy diets have in common the fact that they are absent foods with bar codes. They are also extremely low in sugar. In fact, the number of modern or ancient societies known for health and longevity that have consumed a diet high in sugar would be ... let's see ... zero.

Truth be told, what you eat probably matters less than how much processing it's undergone. Real food--whole food with minimal processing--contains a virtual pharmacy of nutrients, phytochemicals, enzymes, vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, anti-inflammatories and healthful fats, and can easily keep you alive and thriving into your 10th decade."
  • ganesha303
    ganesha303 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I understand that you can't have a calorie deficit and see muscle gains

This is technically false. The relatively untrained individual can build muscle on a moderate caloric deficit. The more trained the individual and the lower the body fat, the more difficult it will be.

Good to know... I was under the impression you had to increase calories to see muscle gains. I want to lose the fat but stay muscular. Now I am unsure of where my calorie goals should be..

I am on a moderate deficit and gaining strength. I strive to get 1 to 1.25 grams of protein per pound of lean body mass daily as my main goal (while staying at calorie goal). This seems to work really well for me.
  • kunibob
    kunibob Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I don't do Paleo, but I get the appeal. I think of it as a similar idea to vegetarian: it's a plan to control what's going into one's mouth based on a set of ideals and philosophies. I was vegetarian for a few years, working towards veganism, and eating according to my philosophy was a very rewarding experience. Paleo has the ideals of connection to our distant ancestors, of returning to nature, that sort of thing. I can see how that would be mentally rewarding.

Most of us are here because we're redefining our relationship with food; we felt we were losing control or drifting from who we wanted to be. There's a very important side to eating that isn't talked about as much as the physical side: eating in a way that makes us feel good about ourselves mentally. That's the key to sustainability. For some people, that means eating "clean." For others, it means vegetarianism. For others, it's solely calorie count that matters. For others, it's Paleo. For others, fasting. And so on. It's about finding an ideal that meshes with who YOU want to be and embracing it. (So long as it's not actively dangerous, of course!)

The only problem is when people get preachy about what works for them. I was a preachy vegetarian at first, until I learned to shut my trap and stop looking down my nose at others. I've encountered some preachy Paleo folks, and I think that others have, too, which is why there may be a bit of a knee-jerk anti-Paleo sentiment in this thread. Let's all do what works for us. Flowers for everyone! :flowerforyou:
  • Shawnalee0703
    Options
    I have been doing a little research on meal planning that cut out processed foods and sugar. I stumbled on the Paleo or Paleolithic diet. It is a diet that reflects how we ate as early humans 150,000 years ago. Some parts I think I can deal with, I have been contemplating cutting out the processed foods and refined sugar for a few weeks now. But, they instruct you to cut out dairy, grains, and legumes. I just don't know if I can conceive in my mind that yogurt, whole grains, and beans are bad for you! Anyway, does anyone have any thoughts, advice, or experience from the Paleo diet?
    I am not reading ALL of teh responses to make sure whether or not someone has suggested it. But you may also consider reading the Primal Bluepring and checking out MarksDailyApple.com... It is more fo a primal that focuses on caveman today's style.... I eat primarily Primal with days off now and then and I thought it would be REALLY hard to not eat grains and stuff but it gets easier and easier over time. Feel free to send me a request if you want to share ideas or experiences!