Don't be fooled by Mcdonalds Oatmeal

Options

Replies

• bcampbell54
    bcampbell54 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    Who is fooled?
    It's oatmeal. With an array of sugary topping options, all of whose nutritional information is available.
    It's from a fast food joint.
    It's cheap, but not as cheap as the stuff you make yourself.
    Ya pays yo' money, ya takes yo' choice
  • Jennyisbusy
    Jennyisbusy Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    BLAH! McDonald's Red and Yellow = YEILD, STOP!

Haha I love it! ^^^

Someone told me the oatmeal had as much calories and junk as a snickers bar :noway:

I would say it's not the end of the world to have it occasionally, just called it what it is a treat.

At home I make plain oatmeal for my kids and put a light sprinkle of brown sugar or pancake syrup on the top, I like that we 'see' the sugar we are about to eat. I also found out that you can mix 1 packet of instant flavored with 1 packet of plain to make it a hair healthier and not an oogey sweet breakfast.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    LOL why would anyone be stupid enough to eat that - especially from McDonalds...!

LOL, it's the only thing I eat there (which has only been about 3 times in a year). There really is no better choice when your kiddo is begging for a happy meal. I don't eat TONS of sugary stuff so if I have 31g in an oatmeal 3 times a year I am not going to die. Better than most of the other crap there!
  • Sparkz1920
    Sparkz1920 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Ok...I'm guess I'm crazy -- I love McDonald's oatmeal. I just count the calories...

Thats all I really do too. Just count the calories. If i get it w/o the brown sugar and just the fruit, and do the same at home it is the same difference to me. I pay 2.00 and some change for the convenience of being in a hurry and not being able to make it myself
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Everyonr has such a strong opinion on Mcdonalds. Mainly bad. I eat there maybe 3 times a year, so when I do I generally eat what I want to. However after all the things I've read on here I've changed my opinion and will never eat there again. I'd rather have a subway... A healthier one. Don't know how 'healthy' this is but its a rare treat for me x
  • emilymci94
    Options
    I will play the bad guy for a second...there are many things on thier 'convinient' menu that are much worse for you. So if I am in a hurry and need something quick, the oatmeal is better for me than a sausage mcmuffin with egg which is unfortunately one of the breakfast items that I LOVE, and if completely honest miss terribly. :sad: I know there are better alternatives out there but am thankful that McD's has a healthier option if that's what I have to do.

If you're looking for an alternative to that to have sometimes there is a Jimmy dean D'light sandwhich. It has turkey sausage, egg white and cheese on an english muffin and it's only 260 calories!
    The McDonalds version has 450 calories, 27 g of fat (10 saturated) almost a day's worth of cholesterol. The Jimmy dean one has 8g of fat (3.5 sat), maybe about 10% of cholesterol. I prefer the Jimmy dean one but they taste very similar!
  • Sunbeam0904
    Sunbeam0904 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Ok...I'm guess I'm crazy -- I love McDonald's oatmeal. I just count the calories...

Thats all I really do too. Just count the calories. If i get it w/o the brown sugar and just the fruit, and do the same at home it is the same difference to me. I pay 2.00 and some change for the convenience of being in a hurry and not being able to make it myself

I agree with the above. I eat breakfast from Mcdonald's all the time! Either the iced SF NF latte or the fruit & granola yogurt or the oatmeal. I count whatever I get and I enjoy it. And I appreciate that McDonald's has quite a few healthy options - unlike a lot of other fast food places.
  • weathergirl320
    Options
    I haven't eaten at McD's since I was a kid. There is nothing there for a vegetarian. They flash fry their french fries in lard (blech)....and nothing is healthy.

i dont think they use lard anymore. i am pretty sure they use vegetable oil. however they do add beef flavoring (bleh and probably not vegetarian)

i know this because i read their ingredients online. i have gluten intolorance and believe it or not that "beef flavoring" has gluten in it. (double bleh)
  • weathergirl320
    Options
    btw the contents of the mcdonalds oatmeal is probably just as bad as whatever oatmean is in your pantry. check out the labels. unless you have just straight up oats or whatever (i dont eat oatmeal so i dont know really what its called or whatever) but most oatmeals are loaded wth sugar.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Pretty much everything at McDonalds is unhealthy

Except their coffee.

But other than that . . .yeah.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    btw the contents of the mcdonalds oatmeal is probably just as bad as whatever oatmean is in your pantry. check out the labels. unless you have just straight up oats or whatever (i dont eat oatmeal so i dont know really what its called or whatever) but most oatmeals are loaded wth sugar.

Yup. The old fashioned oats are the way to go. I have the "steel cut" oats in the pantry because I've heard that they're so much better for you however when I compared the nutritional information to my old fashioned oats there was little to no difference. Also the steel cut oats are a PITA to make and I have yet to make them correctly.

When I do have my oatmeal it I like to put raisins and a table spoon of PB in it. So good!!
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    My morning yogurt has 29g sugar because I put honey in it, and *OH SNAP* I am down almost 40 lbs. Unless you have a need to worry about sugar, don't.
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    My morning yogurt has 29g sugar because I put honey in it, and *OH SNAP* I am down almost 40 lbs. Unless you have a need to worry about sugar, don't.

Yup.

Alarmism is funny.
  • gleechick609
    Options

Me too! Plus, I add granola and a banana.... thats like.. 50 grams more of sugar!! And I am down 50 lbs! Wowza!
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options

Yup.

Alarmism is funny.

But, but, but....sugar is the DEVIL! McDonald's is so evil that even the devil is afraid of a Big Mac.

Seriously.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

"Maple," "brown sugar," "apples."

Of course it has sugar.

My fruit smoothie, which is nothing but berries, bananas and a T of no-sugar-added peanut butter is 66 grams of sugar. 62 of those are from the fruit.
  • csparon
    csparon Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the information I was going to try it, I have never had oatmeal before and thought this may be my first step out because of how good it look and how it sound but I think not now that I have look at the infomation you posted.

Starbucks Oatmeal is pretty awesome :)
  • Toniithia
    Toniithia Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I hate mcdonalds, there food is ****.
  • brittanidigby
    brittanidigby Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal is disgusting. McDonalds or not.