HELP please! I'm SO upset!

Options
Over the past couple of weeks, I've been super busy, And broke... I'm not working. I have a rental house, & right now the upper floor is vacant & I've been cleaning & painting it. So I've been in an empty house... & eating out.

Stepped on the scale today... & I'm up 5lbs!?!?!

I know I could've been eating better... & I haven't been working out. But it's only been like... a couple of weeks. HOW did I manage to do this?

That means, that since I've been out of work... I've actually put on 10lbs! What freaks me out the most is my BF has said "If you were fat, we wouldn't be together".... so I'm concerned I'm going to lose him on top of all of the **** I've been going through lately, & I'm pretty sure he's the best thing that's ever happened to me. He laughs when I say I've gained a bit... but NOW? You can actually SEE it.

I'm going to start the 30DS today... Level 1, I've never done it before... & head back to the rental (where the chick on the main floor has now stopped paying, so I have to post eviction papers for HER today).

What do I do about all this stress & weight gain? HELP!

Replies

• laura328
    laura328 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    OK. First of all - breathe. This is why I quit weighing! That scale has the power to impact not only your motivation but how you feel about every aspect of your life! Stay off that evil thing for awhile and after that, only step on the scale once every few weeks or even once a month.

As far as the 5 pounds go - you are in control. Your post states exactly why it's there. It's almost completely from those random fluctuations we all have and the rest is stress and a change of eating habits. Those measly 5 pounds will fall off once you get back on track with your good exercise and eating habits. So force yourself to get back on track. It's really that simple.

Life will always have its stressors. That's just life. And although I'm sure you're feeling a lot of pressure with the apartment situation, nothing you described is the end of the world and it isn't anything you can't work through. Just do your best to get through it and don't let the stress consume you and cause to to sabotage your healthy habits.

Now, for the boyfriend. You're not going to like this and I apologize in advance, but he sounds like a TOOL! You are gorgeous and I'm sure a wonderful person and at 155, you are not fat by any standards unless of course you're 4 feet tall. To say to someone "i won't be with you if you're fat" is a rude, thoughtless, just plain ****ty thing to say. I would say good-bye to him but if that's not an option you should tell him what a hurtful insensitive pig he is.

Just my two cents. Hang in there. You're OK!
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Sounds like the only thing you need to lose is your boyfriend! Don't worry about the weight. Get your ducks in a row, focus on employment, and when the time is right you can focus on losing body fat if you need to. In the meantime, you're active in fixing up your house. When you go out to eat, always bring back leftovers. :)
  • sma83
    sma83 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    OK. First of all - breathe. This is why I quit weighing! That scale has the power to impact not only your motivation but how you feel about every aspect of your life! Stay off that evil thing for awhile and after that, only step on the scale once every few weeks or even once a month.

As far as the 5 pounds go - you are in control. Your post states exactly why it's there. It's almost completely from those random fluctuations we all have and the rest is stress and a change of eating habits. Those measly 5 pounds will fall off once you get back on track with your good exercise and eating habits. So force yourself to get back on track. It's really that simple.

Life will always have its stressors. That's just life. And although I'm sure you're feeling a lot of pressure with the apartment situation, nothing you described is the end of the world and it isn't anything you can't work through. Just do your best to get through it and don't let the stress consume you and cause to to sabotage your healthy habits.

Now, for the boyfriend. You're not going to like this and I apologize in advance, but he sounds like a TOOL! You are gorgeous and I'm sure a wonderful person and at 155, you are not fat by any standards unless of course you're 4 feet tall. To say to someone "i won't be with you if you're fat" is a rude, thoughtless, just plain ****ty thing to say. I would say good-bye to him but if that's not an option you should tell him what a hurtful insensitive pig he is.

^^^^^This! You need to lose his @**. He never should say something like that too you.
  • Gargwin82
    Gargwin82 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    When I met my now Husband I was 17 and 125lbs. At it's peak after having our Son I was 245lbs. Currently I'm 29 and 228lbs. Not once has my Husband ever said I've gained weight, he thought I looked unattractive, or he would leave me if I didn't lose the extra pounds. Almost daily I get a big hug and get told I'm as beautiful and sexy as the day we met. You deserve someone who looks at you like that. Hopefully your boyfriend just has a horrible sense of humour, even if that's the case I'd clue him in big time it's not appreciated.

Stress is a huge cause of weight gain, money is a huge stressor. When stressed your bodies first instinct is to save up everything incase of famine, migration, or injury. I agree with the other post on here suggesting you get employed and a tenant before getting to discouraged. You say you know you haven't been doing your best, so keep tracking to see where you're slipping up but avoid the scale.

Lose the stress and I'm sure you'll lose the litlte bit of weight that has crept back.
  • Thriceshy
    Thriceshy Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with what's been said--for YOURSELF, get back on track, grab a cooler and put your healthier foods in for bringing along with you rather than hitting fast food joints. You should see a change pretty quickly.

As for your boyfriend, my first thought? If my husband said that to me it'd be a prelude to him picking up shattered teeth with broken fingers. I MAY be joking. Not sure, because he's never said anything like that to me, even though he's seen me go from a size 7 to a size 28. I'm hoping your boyfriend didn't mean what he said, but it's in your best interest to make sure before you sign anything. If a man stays with you for your looks, you'll lose him no matter what you do, even if you stay svelte and slim, because the years happen and things migrate south no matter what. A guy who would leave the woman he says he loves because she gained weight needs a blow-up doll, not a woman.

I'm sorry you're going through this. It's no help to be told to relax, but that's what you've got to try to do.
  • hepsi
    hepsi Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    wow..i knew there must be people who have boyfriends like I had at one time...

he was my best friend..i thought he was the best thing that ever happened to me...i was in love...and then he went and said " I don't think i would love you still if u are fat, and that physical appearance plays a huge role in relationship"...

you see, i wasn't ready to lose him so i made excuses for his insensitivity...but looking back, i just couldn't face quitting and losing a relationship thats fun...

I broke up with him few years back...i am now married and have a husband, who is amazing...i put on 10 kgs while i was with him, and it showed everywhere, and there isn't one day where he hasn't told me how beautiful he thinks i am...

Think again, what do u want in your future, someone who puts u down coz he can or someone who loves you even if u r the ugliest person in the world...

coz, life won't always be like this, trying times and eating go hand in hand...its how most people cope...

u dont wanna spend the rest of your life thinking about losing ur relationship...its not the way to live...
  • blissfuldrake
    blissfuldrake Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

[/quote]

What she said...^.^
  • leanmachinedream
    Options
    You have more issues than gaining weight if your boyfriend is supportive and is only with you for your looks. Ditch him and find someone who appreciates you no matter what.
  • shanahan_09
    shanahan_09 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    What freaks me out the most is my BF has said "If you were fat, we wouldn't be together".... so I'm concerned I'm going to lose him on top of all of the **** I've been going through lately, & I'm pretty sure he's the best thing that's ever happened to me. He laughs when I say I've gained a bit... but NOW? You can actually SEE it.

I'd say to him 'If YOU continue to say a**hole remarks like that, I won't be here AT ALL!!". Lose the weight for yourself, no one else. If you think you have to lose it for him to stay happy with you, you're in for a world of hurt. You'll never think you're good enough. YOU are the best thing that has happened to you. Don't let someone make you feel unworthy from harsh words.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    Yep, the first weight you need to consider losing is the boyfriend! His attitude is a huge red flag of bigger issues down the road.

That said, I'm sorry you are having such a rough time. It's ok. 5 or 10 pounds is not the end of the world! Concentrate on takmg care of yourself and making better choices going forward and you will be fine. I hope good things are right around the corner for you!
  • DzzyButterfly
    DzzyButterfly Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Your boyfriend needs a penis punch. Toss him out along with your scale!
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Over the past couple of weeks, I've been super busy, And broke... I'm not working. I have a rental house, & right now the upper floor is vacant & I've been cleaning & painting it. So I've been in an empty house... & eating out.

Stepped on the scale today... & I'm up 5lbs!?!?!

I know I could've been eating better... & I haven't been working out. But it's only been like... a couple of weeks. HOW did I manage to do this?

That means, that since I've been out of work... I've actually put on 10lbs! What freaks me out the most is my BF has said "If you were fat, we wouldn't be together".... so I'm concerned I'm going to lose him on top of all of the **** I've been going through lately, & I'm pretty sure he's the best thing that's ever happened to me. He laughs when I say I've gained a bit... but NOW? You can actually SEE it.

I'm going to start the 30DS today... Level 1, I've never done it before... & head back to the rental (where the chick on the main floor has now stopped paying, so I have to post eviction papers for HER today).

Just go back to what worked before.
    Eat right, exercise.
    When we do that, all is well, but if we do not, as you know, progress stalls.
    Success is a choice, and reaching goals does not just happen by accident.

You body does not care about why you ate poorly and did not exercise.
    No excuses.
    Just do it.
  • samhelen
    Options
    yea... gonna have to agree with everyone else -- the BF sounds like a tool and no one needs that in their life regardless of their physical appearance or state... relationships should lift you up not tear you down...
  • mizzdivat
    mizzdivat Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    .I only weigh myself every 2 weeks because I don't want to be too focused on that. Next, it sounds like your boyfriend is more interested in your looks, etc. than YOU as a PERSON. I could be wrong, but that is how it sounds. You need to make sure you are surrounding yourself with family, friends, significant others, etc that are supportive of you on this journey. Best of luck to you dear
  • melonsss
    melonsss Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Ditch the boyfriend, and I am talking from experience because it is more complicated when you marry the shallow ................... Hormones, stress ect play a part on weight loss/gain and ultimately we all want to be loved for who we are and not on appearances.
  • Peppychristian
    Peppychristian Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    When I met my now Husband I was 17 and 125lbs. At it's peak after having our Son I was 245lbs. Currently I'm 29 and 228lbs. Not once has my Husband ever said I've gained weight, he thought I looked unattractive, or he would leave me if I didn't lose the extra pounds. Almost daily I get a big hug and get told I'm as beautiful and sexy as the day we met. You deserve someone who looks at you like that. Hopefully your boyfriend just has a horrible sense of humour, even if that's the case I'd clue him in big time it's not appreciated.

Stress is a huge cause of weight gain, money is a huge stressor. When stressed your bodies first instinct is to save up everything incase of famine, migration, or injury. I agree with the other post on here suggesting you get employed and a tenant before getting to discouraged. You say you know you haven't been doing your best, so keep tracking to see where you're slipping up but avoid the scale.

Lose the stress and I'm sure you'll lose the litlte bit of weight that has crept back.

Amen to that. I have had three kids but I can't even blame my weight gain completely on that. Even though I knew I was overweight and needed to do better my husband has always told me that I am beautiful. That being said, without actually knowing your bf I know from experience that men say things that they think are encouraging that come out not so much.
  • Cal28
    Cal28 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Over the past couple of weeks, I've been super busy, And broke... I'm not working.

That means, that since I've been out of work... I've actually put on 10lbs!

What freaks me out the most is my BF has said "If you were fat, we wouldn't be together".... so I'm concerned I'm going to lose him on top of all of the **** I've been going through lately, & I'm pretty sure he's the best thing that's ever happened to me.

I'm hoping "If you were fat, we wouldn't be together" was his reassuring way of saying "Sweetheart you're not fat at all". If it wasn't then he is not the best thing that has ever happened to you and you need to decide if you want to be with such an *kitten*.

I understand the stress thing. I gained a stone prior to joining MFP when I moved countries (I'm also jobhunting and its such hard work - a full time job in itself). Its not easy but the stress will die down and you can get back to focussing on you.

Try and pick healthier options for takeout if you have to have it. is there anyway you can fit in C25K? I think you mentioned 30DS and thats great. You can do this xx
  • Pihjin
    Pihjin Posts: 63
    Options
    As everyone is saying - it might be too hard for you now, or so your think, but if you think about it your boyfriend is adding stress and pressure to you - instead of being comforting and supportive like he should if he loves you.
    Your body is your life and you will get fit and healthy if it's right for you. Never do t for anyone else.
    He sounds like a shallow a@ for saying that to you. Looks really aren't everything and to threaten you with that (and yes, it is a threat) is disgusting of him.

In my opinion you should get rid of him and focus on healing yourself and your life.

You only get one life and you should share it with those who love you and make you feel incredible to be you for who you are. They will support you when you are down and praise you when you are up. NOT threaten to leave you if things get tough.

Take control and make the changes you want to happen and it'l all work out for the best.

It will have a happy ending ... if it's not happy, it's not the ending so keep working through :)
  • ARDuBaie
    ARDuBaie Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Why are you with that boyfriend??? You are beautiful! He is very shallow-minded (my kind word for prejudice). Find a new one.

As for the diet, you need to learn how to handle your stress. I would suggest meditation. Envision a little bird with a box flying up to you and you put one item that is stressing you in the box. The little bird takes the box and flies to the sun, dropping it into the sun to burn. On the way back to you, it picks up another box into which you put another stress item. Repeat the vision until your stress is less.

You need to work on getting back to what was working. Keep the daily journal. Don't eat out if you can help it. There are so many hidden calories.

Realize that being with that guy is stressful because you not only have all the other stuff going on, but you also have to worry about gaining weight because he already said he would dump you if you were fat. What a weight to put on your shoulders!!
  • simplyblessed5
    simplyblessed5 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    the first thing you need to lose is the loser bf. You'll lost quite a bit of "dead weight" when you do that. Then, like others have said- stop making excuses for not being able to workout and eat right. Just do it. Life happens... it's what we do with it that makes the difference.

Hang in there. You can do this!! :)