Logging on your worst days.

Options
So, do you log on your worst days? I'm of the mindset lately that even on days like today I need to log everything to help keep me in check when I have those "why am I not losing" questions.

Do you log on your bad days?

What's the worst day you've had?

What did you do about it? (Did it throw you off track or did you use it as motivation to move more throughout the week?)

BTW, my diary is public... you can see I had a doozy of a day (breakfast was lil smokies in crescent dough for pete's sake!)

12940567.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Replies

• TheNakedHouseWife
    Options
    I'm trying to log on bad days. I used to not, then I'd forget on good days too.

We recently went to Hooters yesterdays. I learned how many calories were in what we ate. And now I don't think I'll ever step foot in there again!

Sometimes, it might be good to track on bad days just to see, because it might be something you weren't aware of!
  • junyr
    junyr Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Bad days are the exact reason I log.

Catch the bad day and stop it if you can, if not, tomorrow is a new day to start good again.
  • Jessaustx
    Options
    It's hard.. and it sucks, but yep. I try to, for the most part, log everything (no matter the size) that I eat. Like you said, when I get frustrated if I don't lose in a week - I can go back and look to see if it was food related, and most of the time.. it is. Also, it's an accountability thing. I know that if I'm tracking it in my diary, and my diary is public, other people can look at it so for some reason that helps me! Putting in any alcohol always is a tough one ;)
    Options
    I always post on bad days. I once strayed and had a take-out chicken kiev and chips with gravy, and went 1,000 calories over my daily limit!! If I hadn't logged it, I would have underestimated the impact for sure. I just forgive myself and move on. I hope you can forgive yourself too xx
  • Valkyriewoman
    Valkyriewoman Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Today was a horrible day for me. Major carb binge... overload. A really large volume of crappy food. I loathed logging it. I'll loathe showing my log to my trainer even more. It certainly was a slap in the face to actually see it and also a great reminder that I need to get back on the wagon tomorrow!
  • kalepowered
    kalepowered Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I log everything I eat every day, no matter how awesome or craptacular I did. I think the worst I've had since I started logging was one day when I was at work all day, then went out with a friend that night to Panera and ordered full sizes of a sandwich & soup rather than the You Pick 2 deal, and then didn't work out at all because it was 1am by the time I finally got home. But hey, I learned a lesson from that - get the You Pick 2 half-size portions, and if I know I'm going to be out all day try to get some kind of exercise in in the morning. I feel it's important for me to be faced with the numbers of what I eat so that I can reflect on my eating habits and make necessary adjustments. I can't ignore a bad day, it's better for me to own up to it.
  • RUNN3Rmom
    Options
    Yup, I log everything!! Even "misc. bites" of stuff :)

Today was my first bad day...but I logged it and I'm totally ok with it...I will do better tomorrow.
  • JMarigold
    JMarigold Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Well I haven't been on that long but yeah I've logged in even my worst days. I might do it the next day. Logging makes you really face what you have done instead of ignoring a binge fest.

You know like last weekend my husband brought me home a pizza hut pizza (kinda against my wishes) and I was in a bad mood and ate 5 pieces and then I was like okay now I might as well eat what I want, but when I logged it in on Monday I figured out that if I had just logged it in right after I ate it I might not of have continued to binge eat all weekend b/c despite the awful fat count and high calories I could have still eaten it and stayed close to goal.
  • junyr
    junyr Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Ignoring the bad days defeat the purpose of using this webisite, IMO.
  • cherriewilliams
    cherriewilliams Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I log in on bad days because it encourages me to exercise more on those days.
  • jem33199
    jem33199 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! If I don't log one bad day then it leads to two then three....well, you see where I'm going with this.. :happy:
  • Lady_Lamb
    Lady_Lamb Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I had a really bad day on Friday. I ate about 1,000 more calories than I should have. I wouldn't have thought it was so bad if I hadn't logged it. Logging everything gave me the motivation to hit the gym super hard on Saturday. I was happy that I made myself accountable for my splurge.
  • hkussatz
    Options
    Yes I log everything! Makes me so much more informed on what I'm really putting into my body when I eat crappy. Today is one of those days!
  • MsRoxyPepper
    MsRoxyPepper Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I log everything everyday. bad days remind me when I question the scale. it also keeps me aware so I make better choices even on a cheat day. i try to push for only a cheat meal with extra fitness fit it.

I did thoroughly enjoyed happy hour friday with the girlfriends =)
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    I log every day. It doesn't matter what day it is. I go over about once a month. It took a while for me to get there, but it is pretty much a habit now.
  • cruiseking
    cruiseking Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Logging your bad days are more important than logging the good days. that is the point of MFP. Or am I missing something?
  • GigiBee824
    GigiBee824 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I log every day, even when I go over. After the initial shock of seeing how many calories I was eating, it has made my "splurging" here and there MUCH more reasonable. I know how much many of my splurge foods are calorie-wise, and I am able to eat in moderation even when I go over my goal. Before, I just went "the hell with it... what's next to eat?" Being aware and knowing the numbers is good to know the next time the food presents itself to you. So now I see wings, know they are totally worth the calories, but also know how many I can enjoy without going crazy. :)
  • wittlelacey
    wittlelacey Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    My diary's private, but I still log. However if I'm feeling lazy I just make a list of everything I ate in the note at the bottom :b
    I recently had a very bad day this friday, including junk for every meal! I had a thousand extra calories than normal, and I didn't work out.
    When I have bad days I try not to dwell too much. I eat pretty well throughout the week and there's always one unscheduled "cheat" (bad) day so I think of it as zig zagging my calories
    And then I go back to normal and push a little harder :)
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    I log everything, all the time. I'm actually afraid that if I don't, that might be the beginning of the end of my success here.

My worst day was the Saturday before Christmas: a 3,300+ calorie day. I did some major batch cooking that day, and just let myself roll. Logging helped me get back on track.
  • moniquelessard
    Options
    I log honestly every day. Even on bad days.

Just don't beat yourself up over the bad days. That's a recipe for backsliding/disaster/failure.

Log it and start anew the next day.