New Clothes? When to buy them?

Options

Replies

• audreanna76
    Options
    I bought a few new shirts and a belt for my oversized pants. I'll wait until my friends tell me I look like a dork in my saggy pants! :)
  • mdbs2004
    mdbs2004 Posts: 220
    Options
    I actualy go to good will. And I donate them back when I'm done. I've gone from a 54 to a 44 and have already bought some 42's n 40's. I've found this to work very well and not spend to much $$$.
  • lookslikeyoda
    lookslikeyoda Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I bought my clothes way in advance. My favourite two T-shirts I hung on coathangers and put them in the window of my bedroom so that I see them every single day. I tried to put them on when I bought them and I couldn't even get them on. I never tried them on again until 3 months later when I had lost over 20lbs and they didn't just fit, they were too big. Seeing those expensive, awesome pieces of clothing so determined to wear them gave me the motivation, it sounds silly but it worked.
  • TundraTed
    TundraTed Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I keep them as long as I possible can. Then I hit the 2nd hand store. Wal-Mart/Costco has decent jeans for $15 in a pinch. (I have not had good luck finding decent jeans at 2nd hand stores for whatever reason).

I am down from 42, then I bought 38's. Honestly, I am probably in 36's now, but I will wait as long as I can till I buy more. Probably when I hit 34's.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    Im to the point now i wear a belt with everything and it bunches evdrything up to the point i look like i have a giant penis. I suppose ishould start looking haha
  • embersfallen
    embersfallen Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I buy clothes I think are cute on clearance, or at a goodwill type store when I can that are a size or two down... I even have a few things even more down... i found the most adorable dress in a size 8/10 for $7 at savers......that at the time was miles away from where I was... keeping my eyes on the prize! ;) it WILL fit me one day!

I try to pick as few things up here and there so I have some things as I lose... Also, you could look on freecycle....a lot of times people offer free clothes... it IS an awesome feeling..when you have something you bought a few months back you really loved but was way out of reach...and then all of a sudden.. it fits! Also... if you have any friends losing weight at the same time that are a size or so smaller... that helps.. ;) my best friend is...and the other night I had an office party..and had nothing semi-dressy to wear... then she brought down a cute shirt and voila! ;) The Jeans I wore used to be hers too.. ;) we are 1/2 size to one size off from each other at this point..so I lucked out in that... ;)
  • embersfallen
    embersfallen Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Im to the point now i wear a belt with everything and it bunches evdrything up to the point i look like i have a giant penis. I suppose ishould start looking haha

ROTFL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    I found I need to buy new pants every 2 sizes or so. Looks funny when you have to tie on your pants because the belt won't just do it... ;p

I hate shopping for clothes, so I have a wide range in my closet. Thrift shops are a great way to buy those in between sizes without spending a lot of money on them. I donate everything I've shrank-out of, so I can't go back to the heavier weight! I save 1 or 2 pairs of larger sized pants for when I'm really bloated, but that's it!
  • bmmadden
    bmmadden Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Second hand stores and clearance racks, I will admit Ill buy a new outfit or two each size Ive went down that wasnt on clearance because I wanted to wear a nice outfit to somewhere I was going. I cant wear baggy pants too long because I have to look business casual for my job so I have to shop each size I go down and mostly stick with clearance racks and some 2nd hand but nice to get a new outfit too. I started out at 18/20 went to 16s then 14s and have landed in a 12 recently and I would still like to get down to around at least an 8.
  • heyghoge
    heyghoge Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    i bought myself 'new' jeans when i was about halfway down, but went to goodwill for them as i anticipated dropping another jeans size at some point. they're brand label, look new, and only cost me $4.69! i didn't want to wait until i was 'done' with my weight loss -- who knows how long that will be, and meanwhile i feel like i should look good no matter what size i am. i just don't overhaul my entire wardrobe, and i buy secondhand. a few key pieces that i wear a lot, like jeans, dress pants, a nice work top, etc. doesn't break the bank and makes me feel good about myself/lets me see the progress i've made.
  • hummingbird71
    hummingbird71 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I am lucky to have a consignment shop here in town called "Just Plus" which have sizes 12 and up clothes. I have been there several times already to get some "new" pants that fit better and will continue to go there until I am smaller then the clothes they sale in there. I can not wait until THAT HAPPENS! Also the clothes I have "lost" out of I now have those for sale in that shop too. So for me its a win win! But I would suggest thrift stores if you do not have a consignment shop in your town. Congrats on your loss!
  • amymarie8709
    amymarie8709 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    So, for those of you who have many sizes to go down, what is the plan regarding clothes? I am down about a size and a half and noticing my clothes are too loose, yet I don't want to buy a lot of new clothes now when I am only going to go down several sizes. What has everyone else done? I noticed today how annoying it was to keep pulling my jeans up, but a good problem to have :-)

I only buy a couple of pieces that are very snug. They'll be tight at first, but will fit after you start losing more weight. :) and then I get rid of the "lose" clothing right away so i don't have anything to fall back on.
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    With casual clothes, i.e. jeans, I have either purchased new ones or found old jeans in my wardrobe that fit. I know that I have to change sizes when I can go to the loo and take down my jeans without undoing the zip or button (I have a reverse triangle shape so bigger on top etc).

With regards to work clothes, I am sat just outside the office of the cheif exec of my division, so I have to look smart (i.e. suits or dresses etc). I have some good quality tailoring from years back, but mainly I have had to buy new work clothes. Its fun, but also expensive.
  • CatMHWH
    CatMHWH Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Can I ask how often do you drop a size? I mean after how many lbs lost? I was a size 20/22 and have lost 11lb, have noticed my clothes loser but dont want to try on a size 18 in case the button wont do up and i get fed up - not going to give up that easily in it for the long haul but would be disheartening especially when i am happy with the progress on the scales. anyone the same size would be great to hear your feedback just to know when i even go in to try on smaller clothes - even if i buy nothing!
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options

ROTFL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    At least your laughing * with* me right :p
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options
    Can I ask how often do you drop a size? I mean after how many lbs lost? I was a size 20/22 and have lost 11lb, have noticed my clothes loser but dont want to try on a size 18 in case the button wont do up and i get fed up - not going to give up that easily in it for the long haul but would be disheartening especially when i am happy with the progress on the scales. anyone the same size would be great to hear your feedback just to know when i even go in to try on smaller clothes - even if i buy nothing!

At 15lbs loss I tried on the smaller size pants on and they fit. Everyone's body is different though. :smile:
  • ruggedBear
    Options
    You can usually get by with tops for a while, but nothing looks or feels worse than droopy pants. My favorite clothing store has an outlet that always has a rack of clearance jeans for $7 - so I usually buy 2 pairs at each new size. I wear them until I can squeeze into the next lower size, then donate them right away so I have no excuse to slack.

I hold off on buying trousers for work unless I have a meeting or event to attend (I work at home mostly) - then I just buy one or two pairs in black and navy to hold me over until the next size down.

I buy work trousers a little snug, so they will last a little longer! With the slightly oversize tops, you can't really tell.
  • pinkdawn72
    pinkdawn72 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have some older stuff in smaller sizes that may work. Also I shop Old Navy- clearance alot. I will have to buy a nice dress in May for my daughter's graduation. I don't know what size I will be so I will wait until the last minute I gues.
    I am looking forward to cleaning out my closet and getting rid of all my fat clothes even more than I am buying new stuff. lol
  • Frozenmango
    Frozenmango Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Late to this party, but I'm a believer in just buying the essentials until you reach your final goal. Essentials to me are a couple pairs of neutral pants/jeans (depending on your job) a few block colored shirts/blouses and for ladies perhaps a skirt or two. I'm a firm believer that you should feel good about your appearance no matter what your size, and ill fitting clothes can make you look shabby and unkempt. No need to replace your entire wardrobe while you're still losing, but having a few pieces that you can interchange for different looks will keep you looking good while not breaking the bank. Where you get the clothes is dependent on you budget and spending comfort level. Just my two cents.
  • ruggedBear
    Options

While every body is different, I started at roughly the same size and the changes have been something like this:

Size-Weight
    22W - 230
    20W - 220
    18W - 215
    16W - 205
    14W - 195

For reference, I am 5'2". I also buy all my clothes at the same store - their pants come in three 'fit' options and I buy the same fit every time so I know the sizing is true. My big fear is that their Womens sizes stop at 12W and I will have to go into the Misses section, starting over at a 16! It will be challenging to overcome that mental switch - but I'm looking forward to it!