Visiting America - Suggestions guys!

Options
slay0r
slay0r Posts: 669 Member
Hey Guys,

I've been planning a trip to America for a couple of years but I've always put it off and been to different places people wouldn't normally go to.

Having used this site a lot, I've realised I really want to go and try out America properly. My only thing is that I don't want to do the usual British thing (hit New York then head to Washington if there's time) Or go to Florida. I want to go somewhere new I've not really heard much about, has to be a place which is traditionally warm and friendly! (plus somewhere people will like my British accent!)

I can see this causing a slight argument but it's needed!

Replies

• brandyosu
    brandyosu Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    How about Texas? You could do Dallas/Fort Worth, Austin (and hill country) and then down to San Antonio. Each has its own unique flair, but are all very Texan. Warning that you would probably want to go in spring or late fall otherwise it might be ridiculously hot.
  • athearenee
    Options
    Charleston, South Carolina

Beautiful Scenery
    Historic Downtown
    Ghost Tours
    BEACH
    The Market/lots of little eateries and shops

Lots of Friendly People

Wonderful Hotels Downtown

Endless Possi:tongue: iblities for Fun! =)
  • La_Amazona
    La_Amazona Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    How about Texas? You could do Dallas/Fort Worth, Austin (and hill country) and then down to San Antonio. Each has its own unique flair, but are all very Texan. Warning that you would probably want to go in spring or late fall otherwise it might be ridiculously hot.

I second this.... :wink:
  • slay0r
    Options

Beautiful Scenery
    Historic Downtown
    Ghost Tours
    BEACH

Lots of Friendly People

That sounds like juuuust what I'm looking for. I like a friendly community that's quite close knit. I like my little eateries and shops, I'm not a supermarket person I like my little quirky places + the beach sounds awesome! I'll have to do some research!

My Dad went to Texas about 10 years ago and loved every minute of it. I'd love to go cycling round somewhere and do a lot of running too so if there's good scenery that's a bonus!

Oh and plus it has to be hot so I can take my shirt off etc, all this hard work hasn't been for nothing haha! Ripped & British Accent = win?
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Kinda depends on what you want to do or see. I live in Maine and we are referred to as Vacationland! Beaches to lounge/play at, woods to camp in, mountains/hills to climb, and our more urban areas have plenty of shopping and good eating.

ETA: We might not fit your heat criteria though...it gets pretty hot and humid here in the summer but not nearly as hot as the southern states.
  • Run4UrHealth
    Run4UrHealth Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Hey Guys,

I've been planning a trip to America for a couple of years but I've always put it off and been to different places people wouldn't normally go to.

Having used this site a lot, I've realised I really want to go and try out America properly. My only thing is that I don't want to do the usual British thing (hit New York then head to Washington if there's time) Or go to Florida. I want to go somewhere new I've not really heard much about, has to be a place which is traditionally warm and friendly! (plus somewhere people will like my British accent!)

Sweet Home ALABAMA!
  • ionlyhavesporx
    Options
    The great desert southwest. :) Billy the Kid... Grand Canyon... Indian ruins... Tombstone.

Old time Cowboy history. Met some British folks not too long ago that were doing that and they loved it.
  • cnsmith2
    cnsmith2 Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    (plus somewhere people will like my British accent!)

well truthfully you'll get that appreciation almost anywhere! *swoon*
  • bmacholiday
    bmacholiday Posts: 296 Member
    Options

Beautiful Scenery
    Historic Downtown
    Ghost Tours
    BEACH

Lots of Friendly People

Love Charleston! Some of my other favorites are Philadelphia, Lancaster and Gettysburg (All in PA).
  • moiramab
    moiramab Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Third for texas! Friendly, beautiful in the spring, and girls ALWAYS appreciate british accents :smooched:
  • Smansfield1
    Smansfield1 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Arizona!!! You have the Grand Canyon, Sedona, Tombstone...Phoenix has plenty to do and see as well.

Or Seattle. There is so much to do and see. Amazing zoos & aquariums. Mount Saint Helens, Skiing, hiking, boating, Pikes Place Market...I could go on and on
  • nukehiker
    Options
    western North Carolina . mountains like granfather mountain near ashville. great area lots of great hiking. or grand canyon.
  • Kelsbellz
    Kelsbellz Posts: 142 Member
    Options

I second this.... :wink:

Yes, Texas is great, Austin and San Antonio are amazing.

Ripped & British accent = definite win in Austin...which is a fun college town! :happy:
  • Hobb3s
    Hobb3s Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Skip the US and come to Canada!
  • _binary_jester_
    _binary_jester_ Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    Hey Guys,

If you have ever seen Top Gear (the good Brit version), check out the episode where they race in America. That should give you some ideas.
  • AmberMagdalena
    AmberMagdalena Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    (plus somewhere people will like my British accent!)

well truthfully you'll get that appreciation almost anywhere! *swoon*

I second that! I will always love Philadelphia, PA and Atlanta, GA. My Favorites! If your into music, maybe Chicago, IL or Seattle, WA
  • TerribleTeaGuzzler
    Options
    I'd suggest Charleston SC, too. I'm a Brit and have been living in the USA almost 10 years now (in Greenville SC). We take trips to Charleston, and we took my mum there. It's got beaches, the market, an alligator reserve close by, fishing, and historic buildings and even a plantation close by. And yes, ripped and British accent, definitely = win. :)
  • amymrsr
    Options
    I'l pipe in a vote for my area ;) Fredericksburg, VA is small town awesome with tons of history and close by culture. Downtown is walkable and alive. Places to stay either right downtown or just outside of DT. Fred is roughly an hour to Washington D.C. and if you head here in the months that are warmer, national parks, beaches & lakes are all within driving distance as well. I use this site to look for new things to do :)
    www.virginia.org/
    p.s. I'm from NY originally so this isnt all hometown bias :)
  • slay0r
    Options
    Yeahhh! We're trending on the same places I like it! So Texas if I want my *kitten* scorched off but a more old fashioned touch to my trip, or carolina for all the fun!

You have to remember I'm used to British heat so when I say heat you're probably thinking massive temperatures! It's like 71.6 fahrenheit in our summers so I can imagine yours are better! Would love to get a nice tan though..

Glad to hear my British Accent will be a hit, my plan is to go for a lovely cold beer in the heat as soon as I arrive!

Are there any particular American events where the whole country is involved in something/days off where I could get involved and enjoy the culture?
  • JGT2004
    JGT2004 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I third this! Texas is the only place to be. We have:

The hill country with beautiful scenery and great for biking
    Austin for the hippie/unique shopping
    Fredericksburg and a million other little towns that have a rich history and different cultures (Fredericksburg was settled by Germans)
    Padre Island or Port Aransas both have nice beaches (Port A is less College Spring Break type crowd and more relaxed type climate)
    And if you want bigger cities Fort Worth has a lot of "Texas" culture or for a little less cowboy/more American big city events, Dallas and Houston (although Houston is horribly humid and you couldn't pay me enough to go there!).

We love British accents! Plus you can come enjoy ours!

*Disclaimer: I was born and raised in Texas and hope to never leave it until the day I die. Not an American... A TEXAN!