Do you think it is true that marriage...

Options
Do you think it is true that marriage is a major factor when it comes about gaining weight? Some people use it as a joke that all you need to do in order to gain weight is to get married.

The logic I'm finding behind this, although that statement is not always true, is that when people get married, they feel they already have someone with them, so there's no need to take care of themselves anymore. That goes for both women and men.

What do you think about this?

Replies

• ShelbyBeck414
    Options
    I think its true...sad but true...More people need the mentality to keep themselves looking and feeling FABULOUS for their spouse...its a win win. :D
    Happy Monday!
  • YassSpartan
    YassSpartan Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I think its true...sad but true...More people need the mentality to keep themselves looking and feeling FABULOUS for their spouse...its a win win. :D
    Happy Monday!

Which is unfortunate because looking FABULOUS for their spouse keeps the flame on forever! So I agree with you, its a win win :bigsmile:

Happy Monday to you too!
  • elo83
    elo83 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Nope, I don't think that. My husband and I have actually lost weight the 1st year of our marriage. We hope to be fit, hot, sexy parents in the next 2 years so we're working on getting super in shape now! Also, I think gaining weight during marriage because you have someone and don't need to work on looking good is a bunch of crap. Being attractive and fit got you a mate so you're goal to keep that mate is to maintain yourself!
  • ShelbyBeck414
    Options
    Happy Monday!

Which is unfortunate because looking FABULOUS for their spouse keeps the flame on forever! So I agree with you, its a win win :bigsmile:

Happy Monday to you too!

EXACTLY.....looking fabuous = feeling fabulous....which keeps the love alive!!! :D
  • QueenJayJay
    QueenJayJay Posts: 1,139
    Options
    Happened to me.
  • JMarigold
    JMarigold Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I think it may be partially true that feeling that you've already got someone contributes to the weight gain. Honestly though there a lot more factors. One factor is that when you do everything together its hard to institute a healthy diet without both people being on board. Also its like you just want to have fun together so you excuse one big meal out or having a big old pizza and it just adds up.

My hunny and I are syncing up way better right now on the healthier habits band wagon than we have before and that's probably one major reason I'm starting to pull this thing off :)
  • YassSpartan
    Options
    Nope, I don't think that. My husband and I have actually lost weight the 1st year of our marriage. We hope to be fit, hot, sexy parents in the next 2 years so we're working on getting super in shape now! Also, I think gaining weight during marriage because you have someone and don't need to work on looking good is a bunch of crap. Being attractive and fit got you a mate so you're goal to keep that mate is to maintain yourself!

It might not be true but there's a pattern happening in most cases. There's a possibility that for some people it is true.
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    I would bet having children is a much bigger factor than just getting married. Once you have kids everything revolves around them, not yourselves anymore.
  • grinch031
    Options

It might not be true but there's a pattern happening in most cases. There's a possibility that for some people it is true.

Both me and my wife have stayed relatively fit after 5 years of marriage and 2 kids, but I see ourselves as the exceptions.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Totally agree..I think a lot of people 'give up' trying to look good after they're married and assume their spouse is going to love them no matter what they look like. Its sad really.....
  • YassSpartan
    Options
    I gotta say, probably the fact that after marriage most couple stop complimenting each other, might have a psychological effect that contributes to gain weight and not caring anymore. In other words, Self-esteem goes down and weight goes up.
  • lukeout007
    lukeout007 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    I think there's truth to it...I also think that it can actually aid in the exact opposite however.

Most of the weight I've gained has been since I got married. Not all...but most.

But my wife is also supportive (most of the time) and has even lost weight with me (last time...this time she's prego) which I think really helps. It's much easier to do it with someone else who is supportive and going through the same things you are.

I guess it just comes down to your relationship with your spouse.
  • AllergicToExercise
    AllergicToExercise Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    It also depends on the lifestyle and eating habits of the person you marry. If they watch what they eat and exercise then it'd be much easier to be healthy yourself.
  • YassSpartan
    Options
    Kids is a major factor for most, specially for women since the body changes during pregnancy. But what about guys? They also gain weight. And although when having kids, life takes a different twist, it shouldn't really be a reason not to pay attention to ourselves. In fact, healthy fit parents have a bigger chance to educate their children about being healthy and also opens the door to be more active with them, etc.
  • grinch031
    Options
    Kids is a major factor for most, specially for women since the body changes during pregnancy. But what about guys? They also gain weight. And although when having kids, life takes a different twist, it shouldn't really be a reason not to pay attention to ourselves. In fact, healthy fit parents have a bigger chance to educate their children about being healthy and also opens the door to be more active with them, etc.

Another thing you have to remember is that when you're young, it generally doesn't require much effort to stay thin. However as you get older it starts requiring more and more effort because your body can't handle the bad foods anymore.
  • YassSpartan
    Options
    Another thing you have to remember is that when you're young, it generally doesn't require much effort to stay thin. However as you get older it starts requiring more and more effort because your body can't handle the bad foods anymore.

I totally agree. But gaining weight sometimes doesn't even happen when you get older. I'm just trying to find the correlation between marriage and weight, if there's even any at all.
  • JMarigold
    JMarigold Posts: 232 Member
    Options

I guess it just comes down to your relationship with your spouse.

Exactly!! You've got to be on the same page about healthy eating or else you gain weight by default.

ALSO for a lot of people marriage also signals the advent of more responsibility--mortgage, rising job responsibility, kids etc. Stress and being busy leads to a lot of people ignoring their eating habits and eschewing exercise.
  • YassSpartan
    Options
    Maybe I just need to stay single... or live together with whoever I'm with and not get married :laugh:
  • Anaria12
    Options
    I think when your in a long term relationship you get busy living 'life' and the commitments that often follow ... mortgage, children etc. People just stop caring for themselves in the way that they used to.

Not saying this is the sole reason, and not always the same for everyone but I think it may contribute.
  • ahinescapron
    ahinescapron Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I would bet having children is a much bigger factor than just getting married. Once you have kids everything revolves around them, not yourselves anymore.

This is exactly what I was going to say! My husband and I used to work out together and we were both in great shape until the kids came. For me, that is the event that flips your world around the most, not the marriage itself.