Do you think it is true that marriage...

Options

Replies

• MikeSEA
    MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    I think for me it's more that the number of times I ate increased, and I find cooking for two to be amazingly difficult. i can cook for 1 or 3+, but 2 apparently is an impossibility for me.
  • rammsteinsoldier
    rammsteinsoldier Posts: 1,556 Member
    Options
    I my case it was true. When I am married, I find myself unhappy and then I eat. When I am single, I am much happier so I have more energy and don't just sit around and feel sorry for myself. Not a great commentary on my marriages is it.
  • brbetha01
    brbetha01 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Could be you get extra comfortable and let other tasks take priority over maintaining your weight and health. I made it a goal not to gain weight like one usually sees because maintaining my appearance and health is a huge priority.
  • russellma
    russellma Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Kids is a major factor for most, specially for women since the body changes during pregnancy. But what about guys? They also gain weight. And although when having kids, life takes a different twist, it shouldn't really be a reason not to pay attention to ourselves. In fact, healthy fit parents have a bigger chance to educate their children about being healthy and also opens the door to be more active with them, etc.

I'll second that kids have a big effect on women's weight gain!

My husband was 19 when we got married and only weighed 120 lbs, so yes, he definitely gained! Part of it was because he wasn't finished developing yet. Part of it was that I packed his lunch every day and cooked dinner every night, and he happens to think I'm a good cook! :smile: In 15 years, he's gained 20 lbs, so he's still not overweight, by any stretch.

Now, me, on the other hand... I was thin when I got married, but I didn't have a chance to get off the weight from my second pregnancy before number three was on the way, and then it was next to impossible to get it off, due to some imbalances. My youngest is 4 and I've finally gotten back to where I should be. My dear husband has loved me through every phase, which makes me appreciate him even more!

I suppose some of the trend is because "he/she loves me just the way I am," which is (or should be) true. Sometimes, life happens. But, I don't think that's a good reason to let yourself go, if you can help it. The way I see it, If I love him, I'm going to keep myself attractive and healthy for as long as I can (and vice versa).
  • Thad81
    Thad81 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    It was true for me. I was enormous when I was married. I began my downward trend after my divorce.
  • DisneyAddictRW
    DisneyAddictRW Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I didn't put my weight on because of being happily married. It was my own fault for letting myself go. Not making it a priority to stay in shape. I had 3 kids, got married, and husband got cancer. Everyday life was busy but I never scheduled in time for me. I always had excuses.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    partly. i've seen peeps blow up like balloons right after they say i do, well not right after but several months later. men and women. poof

oh but i won't go so far as to say they don't want to take care of themselves, things change, life gets in the way and maybe they don't make time for exercise or healthy eating. it's tough, but it can be done.
    We all want to think that our love is so deep that it transcends physical beauty - yea right!
    I'd be replaced by now if I had not lost the fat.
    One warning was all it took, and if that sounds cruel, think of it another way.

Her honesty is what motivated me to change.
    More relationships would survive if people communicated with each other honestly.
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Do you think it is true that marriage is a major factor when it comes about gaining weight? Some people use it as a joke that all you need to do in order to gain weight is to get married.

The logic I'm finding behind this, although that statement is not always true, is that when people get married, they feel they already have someone with them, so there's no need to take care of themselves anymore. That goes for both women and men.

What do you think about this?
    I think it will be true for some people. But it is not a universal truth.

People do often gain weight when they get married, and it might sometimes be because they're not out in the dating scene looking for a mate, and have lost some motivation to stay in shape. They might have married a great cook, too.

But I think marriage also happens very often when people are maturing and/or get career-type jobs, or start to raise kids. So you have other factors in play that can lead to weight gain/being less fit: getting older, and more sedentary jobs, longer work hours, less time for the gym, etc.
  • bmusic86
    Options
    My husband and I both gained weight when we got married, but it wasn't because we didn't want to look good for each other. We treated everyday like a special occasion. We went out to eat more, split bottles of wine, and snuggled on the couch. We have since changed our date nights into tennis playing, going for walks, and eating at the table instead of in front of the tv.
  • cakeums
    cakeums Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    My husband and I have both gained weight over the time we've been together. I've gained about 50lbs, he has probably gained about 35lbs. The attraction is still there something fierce though!

I think part of it is that we were 20 and 21 when we started dating, he was a Marine and I was broke and just not eating much, lol. Now I am 28 and he is almost 30, he's no longer in the military, I spent a good chunk of our first 5 years together either pregnant or breastfeeding (several pregnancy losses, two successful pregnancies and a combined total of 2.5 years of breastfeeding, plus I am one of the unlucky ones who can't restrict calories too much while nursing because my supply was very sensitive to dietary changes), we both work and go to school, etc. We just don't take care of ourselves as much as we should now that we are getting "older."

I personally never worried about my attractiveness in the eyes of men to be related to my weight before my husband, because it never seemed to affect my dating life before. I was pretty thin anyway, at 5'10 and anywhere from 145-165lbs during my high school and early college years. So I don't see it as "letting myself go" just because I'm no longer looking for a mate. We just got lazy and comfortable. I still can't get undressed in the same room as him and be able to hold his attention in conversation, LOL!
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Kids is a major factor for most, specially for women since the body changes during pregnancy. But what about guys? They also gain weight. And although when having kids, life takes a different twist, it shouldn't really be a reason not to pay attention to ourselves. In fact, healthy fit parents have a bigger chance to educate their children about being healthy and also opens the door to be more active with them, etc.

I'll second that kids have a big effect on women's weight gain!

My husband was 19 when we got married and only weighed 120 lbs, so yes, he definitely gained! Part of it was because he wasn't finished developing yet. Part of it was that I packed his lunch every day and cooked dinner every night, and he happens to think I'm a good cook! :smile: In 15 years, he's gained 20 lbs, so he's still not overweight, by any stretch.

Now, me, on the other hand... I was thin when I got married, but I didn't have a chance to get off the weight from my second pregnancy before number three was on the way, and then it was next to impossible to get it off, due to some imbalances. My youngest is 4 and I've finally gotten back to where I should be. My dear husband has loved me through every phase, which makes me appreciate him even more!

I suppose some of the trend is because "he/she loves me just the way I am," which is (or should be) true. Sometimes, life happens. But, I don't think that's a good reason to let yourself go, if you can help it. The way I see it, If I love him, I'm going to keep myself attractive and healthy for as long as I can (and vice versa).
    Kids cause weight gain?
    That's just an excuse.
    My wife has had 5 of my kids, and every single time she was back in peak condition within 1 year of delivery.
    It was not easy, but she got to work a month or so after delivery and never stopped until reaching her goals.

After 5 kids and at age 46, she can still wear a bikini and turn the right heads.
    All it takes is work.
  • picassoadagio
    picassoadagio Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    What's it matter if you gain weight or not. My hubby and I have been married for 6 years and he married me at my heaviest of 268 lbs. I'm almost 100 lbs lighter, and he tells me everyday he'd love me no matter what, and to top it all off, I had 2 babies. The only part in marriage that puts the weight on is stress.

And for those who feel like they have to look good for their spouse, then there is something that goes deeper, because I always thought I had to look good for my spouse, but it's not that I want to look good for my spouse, I want to know men are looking at me. Let's face it, 9 out of 10 of us, married or not, want to know to that the opposite sex is still looking at us.
  • blessmy5
    Options
    I think its true...sad but true...More people need the mentality to keep themselves looking and feeling FABULOUS for their spouse...its a win win. :D
    Happy Monday!

Which is unfortunate because looking FABULOUS for their spouse keeps the flame on forever! So I agree with you, its a win win :bigsmile:

Happy Monday to you too!

I've been married for 28 years and I want to look and feel good for ME. It really has nothing to do with my husband. His health and wellness needs to be about him. Otherwise, if we hit a rough patch in our marriage (which we all do), we'd both be a mess.
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    Even though I'm married, I don't only want to look good physically for my wife's benefit, but I tend to like the attention I might occasionally get from other females as well. I think the reverse is true with her. Its a confidence booster.
  • hsmithway
    Options
    My husband definitely makes it harder for me to lose weight, but in our case it has more to do with his eating habits. When I was single, I ate a really healthy near-vegetarian diet. But my husband is your typical "meat and potato" kind of guy. Whines like a baby if I try to feed him anything that doesn't have meat in it, wants biscuits at every meal, only eats a few kinds of vegetables, thinks a salad should consist of nothing but iceberg lettuce smothered in french dressing and croutons.

The worst part is that even if we eat separate meals he'll complain and carry on about what I'm eating if he thinks it looks or smells gross. I'll buy him a frozen pizza to pop in the oven so that I can eat the salmon that my dad sent me from Alaska, and he'll complain that it smells like fish. Drives me NUTS.

And every time I go to the grocery store he asks for breads, biscuits, cookies, and all sorts of things I don't need to be eating. Though I do al the grocery shopping, so lately I've just been telling him no. He wanted cookies the last time I was making a grocery list, and I told him to buy some himself and keep them in his desk at work :P

He's also very sedentary, and kind of prissy. Computer programmer who likes to play video games in his down time. Dislikes dirt, sweat, bugs, and sunlight.

Don't get me wrong, he's also got a lot of great qualities, but many of his habits do make losing weight more difficult. He does compliment me a lot, though, and he's quick to point out the positive changes from me working out regularly.
  • hdlb123
    hdlb123 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I think it's a lot of things when you get married that contribute to weight gain. Kids are a huge part of it. Between keeping up with the house, laundry, 3 kids and their preschool/playdates/activities etc. there isn't a ton of time at the end of the day, not to mention my husband works 6 days a week and he doesn't get home until late each night. On top of that I have health issues to deal with too. Obviously it's not the same for everyone, but I just wanted to point out its not always a case of "find time".

My husband and I are also 100% comfortable with each other, no matter our size. We have been through a lot and an extra 20lbs doesn't change anything. I still want him, and he still wants me.

I also don't buy into the whole eating crap because the kids do. I think that is nonsense. If it's not good for our bodies, it's not good for our kids either. Its pretty rare our kids get mac and cheese, hotdogs etc. I haven't bought frozen chicken nuggets in years. Almost all these "kids foods" can be made from scratch (in a much healthier way) with a little effort on my part.
  • carolann_22
    carolann_22 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    [
    I've been married for 28 years and I want to look and feel good for ME. It really has nothing to do with my husband. His health and wellness needs to be about him. Otherwise, if we hit a rough patch in our marriage (which we all do), we'd both be a mess.

I agree - I can't believe there are people out there who want to be fat now that they are married, or don't care if they become overweight since they snagged a mate. I'd like to think I value myself more than that. I want to look good for me - it's a bonus if I look better for him, too :)
  • russellma
    russellma Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Kids cause weight gain?

That's just an excuse.

My wife has had 5 of my kids, and every single time she was back in peak condition within 1 year of delivery.
    It was not easy, but she got to work a month or so after delivery and never stopped until reaching her goals.

After 5 kids and at age 46, she can still wear a bikini and turn the right heads.

All it takes is work.

Thankfully for me, my husband didn't think it was an excuse! Granted, 25 lbs overweight is not huge, but he knew I hated all 25 of them...LOL... and he loved the real "me" that was under them, even when it was hard to love myself.

You wouldn't understand hormonal imbalance unless you know someone who's struggled with it. If he had beaten me over the head or threatened me, if wouldn't have done any good, because I was already trying. I dieted and exercised and lost and gained the same 5 lbs. over and over until I figured out how to fix the imbalance and kick it for good. Now, that I've got it figured, we're both thrilled!!
  • kneubee7
    kneubee7 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I think that you get comfortable with that person and it's not that you feel like you don't have to work out for them but you'd rather just hang out with them and relax.. My husband and I both let ourselves go after we got married and are now trying to look better than ever for each other.
  • AmandaDaley
    AmandaDaley Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Most of the excuses I hear about gaining weight after marriage involve eating your wife's food. Most of the people I work with are men, and all the married ones will eat whatever the wife puts on the table, and as much as possible to show their love.
    I wouldn't say it's completely her fault either. She may be making perfectly good food but he doesn't want to leave leftovers and scarfs down more than he should.
    They need to work together and strike a balance. that's always important in relationships.