Fake success pictuers

Options
GM loves,
So I was catching up on some of MFP success stories and some of these people be for and after pictures look good and makes me wanna push myself even more, buuuut after reading there stuff and how much they lost, just don't add up.
So my question is.... Do you think some of these people on here fake there befor and after pictures and edit them to make them look skinny?

Replies

• ML0305
    ML0305 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Who knows?! What do they gain from it though? I havent posted mine because I'm a bit embarrassed of my before and personally I'm very self conscious but by no means would I post a fake pic!
  • ReadySara
    ReadySara Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I agree but when I see be for and after pictures that makes me wanna push myself even more but when I read they only lost 15 pounds and there picture looks like they lost 40.....SMH yeah that don't match up.
  • surgesilk
    Options
    Maybe they lost weight....joined MFP..lost more weight...and the ticker reflects their "MFP weight loss". It's ok....thinking is hard.
  • SeaChele77
    SeaChele77 Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    But depending on the 15lbs lost it may *look* like more. They could be doing a lot of strength training so lost a lot of inches but the scale does not reflect a lot of loss. Also, depending on how much they needed to lose may also be a factor at how much 15lbs "looks" like. When someone is trying to lose 20lbs vs 100lbs - 15lbs willl make a difference in their apperance.

Also, like PP said - what is there to gain by photoshopping a Before & After pic? If it motivates you to keep going....who cares!
  • shellma00
    shellma00 Posts: 1,684 Member
    Options
    Also, some people actually lose the inches, but build muscle mass and so they slim up, but their scale weight does not go down a lot. I can see where programs that focus on toning such as 30 Day Shred would make you lose inches, where as cardio workouts would focus on losing pounds.

I seriously do not think that someone would come on here and fake their success. It is embarrassing enough for some people just to open themselves up to a public program such as this.

I also agree that they may have lost before joining MFP, I have seen people on here that talk about how they lost X-amount of weight before joining.
  • p0stdramatic
    Options
    I agree but when I see be for and after pictures that makes me wanna push myself even more but when I read they only lost 15 pounds and there picture looks like they lost 40.....SMH yeah that don't match up.

15 pounds is different on everyone. 15 pounds on my 5'11 frame doesn't normally look like much. On someone who is 5'2 it's quite a bit of a difference, especially if that person is doing strength training. The last 25 pounds I've lost is a HUGE difference in appearance because I do a lot of strength training. Muscle takes up less space than fat. Every body is different, everyone has different routines and goals, and different results. If anyone is faking, I would say that it is extremely rare. I have never seen one that would make me doubt them.
  • ItsMeRebekah
    ItsMeRebekah Posts: 910 Member
    Options

what weight looks like on me may not be the same at what it looks like on your body. I carry my weight in my bottom half, ALL OF IT pretty much.. And that can't be said for my bestie who is the same weight and looks much heavier since she carries all hers on the upper half. when you look at my pics you may say hey shes not got a lost to go, but in reality i have a lot to go based on my height. so not everybody is out to scam, but its not unheard of. when i first joined it was some huge deal that some member was faking pics and then dropped the site, so it can happen i guess. i just try and look at the good in people and not seek out faults and such.
  • chachita7
    chachita7 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    Fat is going to occupy more space... there is a lot on these treads about this.

Reality is that a person who weighs 150 lbs and it is loose fat is going to look way much bigger than a person who weighs 150 lbs of lean muscle...
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I am not losing a lot of weight, but I am losing a lot of inches.
    But depending on the 15lbs lost it may *look* like more. They could be doing a lot of strength training so lost a lot of inches but the scale does not reflect a lot of loss. Also, depending on how much they needed to lose may also be a factor at how much 15lbs "looks" like. When someone is trying to lose 20lbs vs 100lbs - 15lbs willl make a difference in their apperance.

Also, like PP said - what is there to gain by photoshopping a Before & After pic? If it motivates you to keep going....who cares!

This ^^^
  • traci0620
    traci0620 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I tend to lose inches before weight so it could be that their scale number just doesn't move as fast as the inches they are losing.
  • 0PhAtDaDdY
    0PhAtDaDdY Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Ticker and Pic R Correct for Me!

June-December_2011-2.png
  • AlbertPooHoles
    AlbertPooHoles Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Google's image search has confirmed fake success/after photos here. :laugh:

In fact, it led to this addition to the Community Guidelines...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines
    Photos altered to present inaccurate weight-loss results are prohibited. Please keep the experience at MyFitnessPal encouraging by keeping your "success" photos authentic.
  • leannems
    leannems Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    There's also a lot of people who lose a bunch of weight to their initial goal, then re-set their ticker to their new goal. I don't see what folks would have to gain by faking pictures.
  • robinogue
    robinogue Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    Maybe they lost weight....joined MFP..lost more weight...and the ticker reflects their "MFP weight loss". It's ok....thinking is hard.

this was me, I lost 10lbs before joining MFP and continued my weight loss journey here but I entered my weight from the day I started here not from my original weight loss journey.

If people post fake pictures, what does it matter? They really are only hurting themselves, does nothing for us. Yes, we look and are in awww of them and it pushes us to do more but to me that's a win, win for us.
  • stephanielindsey
    Options
    Some people reset their tickers to meet each of their mini goals.
  • khk2010
    khk2010 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I read an article where the girl didn't lose any weight but through working out lost so many inches she eventually went down several sizes. Everyone is different. No one could see 15 lb lose on me. I could tell though.
  • superstarcassie
    superstarcassie Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    15 lbs can make a HUGE difference in appearance. I look at my face from 15 lbs ago and it is much rounder. I am guessing they have their ticker set to their MFP loss, but many have started the journey before they found this fabulous website! :)
  • msbobbitx
    msbobbitx Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Who knows. I mean it's insiprational when you see success, but each person has their own journey. Honestly, when I lose 10 pounds I can't see it. I don't think it's noticable on me until about 25, but my friends or people who haven't seen me in a while can tell.

If people are faking their pictures, that's just weak. Who cares about other people. You are doing great and you are so pretty. Keep doing what you are doing. :-)
  • bcr1559
    bcr1559 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    When I hit my goal my pictures won't add up either. I lost 26 pounds BEFORE I joined MFP so my ticker doesn't show all of my weight loss. Maybe some people fake it but others just found MFP after they started working their butts off. :wink:
  • GetFitE
    GetFitE Posts: 247 Member
    Options

I agree with this. I lost 50lbs on a different website & then Joined MFP to see if it'll get me out of my plateau. MFP says I only lose 11lbs. But my weight-loss photos aren't fake. I doubt someone would post fake photos. There's no gain from that because they still have to look at themselves in the mirror.
This discussion has been closed.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!