Near or post menopausal group

Options

Replies

• translinda
    translinda Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I just read your post. This could be my story as far as the weight loss/regain goes (along with millions of other people I suppose). I have always been a bit overweight, then obese. Five years ago I did a plan locally called MPS (metabolic profile system) where I lost over 40 lbs, but there was no support system when you finished the program, so I have gradually put back on 25 lbs. I am 55 and do not want to weigh what I did when I was 20. I am now at 192 and felt fantastic at 165, so that is my goal. I know it is only going to get worse with the holidays, so I have to take control now!!! My two kids are grown and married. No grandkids yet, but my husband and I have a "baby," our Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. Just reading other peoples' posts and struggles and accomplishments pumps me up to do this. I know journaling and writing down every piece of food definitely helps. Good luck! (And yes, all my friends are menopausal and most have packed on weight around the middle!) I carry most of my weight in my hips, but now I have the love handles too.
  • lmkram1
    Options
    I suppose I found my group:) Thanks Deb. This stage in life has it's biological challenges for sure. It helps me to remember that there are some upsides that come with the end of my fertile, hormones-a-flowing years. For instance, at last, I can go 2 days without washing my hair and it doesn't look like a grease slick. Shaving my legs and plucking my eyebrows are not required nearly as often as when I was younger. Same with body odor -- even with the sweat that hotflashes bring -- my underarm & general body odor is nearly undetectable -- that was certainly not the case 8 or 9 years ago. And frankly, I prefer my wrinkles to the blemishes that covered my t-zone for 10 days out of every month until I was well into my thirties. Personally, for me, I like the certainty of self that age has brought to me. This notion that my irritable disposition -2 days per month is soley related to my biology and could not possibly be a rational reaction to another's behavior? OH NO, my family, god bless them, knows not to go there. As I explain it to them..... It may appear to you that I am unaffected by your bad manners, lazy habits and other tomfoolery 26 days out of the month, but take heed and beware that during the 1-2 days a month that my biological guages for tolerance and servitude are reading E, those same attitudes/behaviors from you will be met with wrath.
  • 1960lisa
    1960lisa Posts: 193
    Options
    Ok, justa quick post..... so much for me thinking I was almost ready to be classed as post-menopausal..... I get my period today..... aaarghhhh!!!!

#$

Not happy....... I really thought after 10 months i was through..... not sure what will happen now..... hopefully it won't resume like last year when it was really heavy and I always seem to have at least one day when I didn't want to go out or do anything..... particularly now that I have got into a bit of a routine with exercise..... bummer!
  • Lauren8239
    Lauren8239 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Ok, justa quick post..... so much for me thinking I was almost ready to be classed as post-menopausal..... I get my period today..... aaarghhhh!!!!

#$

Not happy....... I really thought after 10 months i was through..... not sure what will happen now..... hopefully it won't resume like last year when it was really heavy and I always seem to have at least one day when I didn't want to go out or do anything..... particularly now that I have got into a bit of a routine with exercise..... bummer!

Oh that sucks!!!! They say that after you've have completed a year without a period, you are officially in menopause, so your body just played a nasty trick on you! Bad ovaries! lol Hopefully it's just a short and sweet period and disappears forever.
  • Sunrize1
    Options
    I would love to join this group, I too am menopausal. It has been difficult to go through with all the hot flashes, rage, weight gain , and pure fatigue all the time. I too haven't felt like my true self in a long time. When will it end? I'm 47, and it's been 2 years!
  • sparklyball
    sparklyball Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    yes please, this is the group i need, i'm 46 and started having symptons 2-3 years ago along with missed bleeds ect, early this year i did something that i never ever intended to do, i gave in to hrt as i was burning up constantly, last winter was sub sub zero and i had all the doors open and minimal clothes on.(saved a bit on bills i guess) i would have preferred to control the symptons through food and exercise....the thing is it kinda creeped up on me and before i knew it i couldn't think straight!!! alas another contributary facor to the weight gain
  • ArtHarlot
    Options
    Hi Ladies....I'm having a problem with this perimenopause or maybe it's already menopause, I don't know, but I have tremendous joint pain. It hurts all over to do anything. When I walk, the next day I'm sore and this of course, makes me not want to go and walk that day. I wish there was something I could do or take to stop the bad aches and pains I have. I don't suffer much from hot flashes or insomnia, but the joint pain is killing me. Anyone else have this same problem? How do you combat it?
  • lindabittner
    Options
    I am 55 and had a hysterectomy a few years ago. Have always been small boned and thinner, and boom, the weight came, no more waist, etc etc. Hot flashes came on about 6 months later. It is awful. I found that a combonation of supplements do help, I just got one that has almost every herb listed on menopause symptom cures, from black cohosh to dong quai and red clover yada yada. I also found my thyroid had been lower, l-tyrosine has helped tremendously as well. Since getting into fittness pal I started yoga from a veria tv class called Yoga for Life. The combinations seem to really be helpful. The first few pounds came off easier and now without the added work out, I do not lose weight. I completely understand your plight. Hope this is helpful, good luck to you, I just love this program as it is so easy to use and convenient.

Linda
  • madlou
    madlou Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I did not realise there was a group for perimenoause, I would also like to join. I am 46 years of age and been going through the dreaded peri for my 7th year now.
    First was the horrific palpitations, then insomnia, mood swings, night sweats, weight gain, lethargy, emotional roller coaster as you will all know.

Anyway I have been sticking to a 1200 cal a day diet; exercising up to 3 times a week, total weight loss 3 pounds arghhhhh.
    Totally fed up and disheartened, eating less sugar, fat, no white bread or pasta etc.

So where do I sign up and hopefully in 2012 something will go apart from my sanity :sad:

madlou:smooched:
  • countingitall
    countingitall Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I want into your group:) I am 41 and had a hysrtoectamy abouyt 8 years ago.
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    Is this one post the peri-menopause group or is there an actual group .. I got this page when I typed itt in search?
  • opalmel
    opalmel Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Is this one post the peri-menopause group or is there an actual group .. I got this page when I typed itt in search?

There is an actual group and it's called the same.
  • sthrnspirit
    Options
    Good morning - I am recently post.....so happy!
  • sthrnspirit
    Options
    This is great! I think we can help each other alot :laugh: It is difficult to understand everything that comes with the menopause. The weight gain is frustrating but we can do it ladies....together!
  • sthrnspirit
    Options
    Good morning everyone! I hate to see all of the aches and pains, the weight gains, the mood swings in a group of folks, but I have to admit that I am so glad I am not alone. I just got finished with menopause but not without 3 1/2 yrs of being in turbo b*&ch mode! I have a husband sent from heaven - no doubt about it. He endured the mood swings, the huffing and puffing at my constant flashes which caused the bed covers off, on, off, on, fan blowing and being down about the weight gain.
    I am hitting the treadmill each night - 3.5 mph - 30 min. I watch 'biggest loser' and found it enlightening when Dolvett told one of the gals to keep her hands off the treadmill. Well, ladies, I was doing the same thing. No wonder the results were not coming. The day I joined here, 1/3, I also started power walking/jogging on the treadmill. It is really working. yaay!
    I am glad to be here and welcome any friends. Together, we can fight this and prevail!
    Stay focused, log your food, check the blogs, make a new friend, vent, but most of all......Make it a great day! :flowerforyou:
  • lavendergirll
    lavendergirll Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I am in peri I think. The doctor put me on birth control to control my periods. They were horrible and never knew when it was coming. The weight gain in the stomach has been the worst for me as well as being tired and irritable at times. I agree with the others; exercise helps me alot. I find that if I keep up a routine I feel better. I would also love to be part fo a group but dont know how to get it started. Someone please let me know when it happens! Your sister in perimenapause!?
  • kikina
    kikina Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    so i have been with MFP for about 25 days and i am not seeing the results i would like..

i am working out more than i ever have and i have upped my calories and im drinking moreLOTS of water..but it has only been the first weeks loss of about 4.5 pounds.

to all the women who have lost weight on MFP did this happen for you in the beginning? i have not taken measurements until my 30 day on here but clothes are not feeling loose either so that is what is scaring me

i have this huge chart that i have made up and i am analyzing what i have been doing wrong that nothing is happening or at the very least is happening so slowly i lost 0.7 oz last week ughhh all that working out and just a measly ounces!!

anybody else like that? i a 51 the thing is now thati have been working out i don't get hot flashes much (it's also winter) except if i am really rushed in the morning after a shower! so that is good
  • wwww1199
    wwww1199 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Hi I am Diane. I'm 14 months menopausal. I'm finding it very difficult to drop the weight like when I was younger. I do the treadmill for 1 hour every day and throw in a workout video most days. I try to watch what I eat but I've only lost 6 lbs in 30 days. Is that bad? I'd like to lose 40 by July if that's at all possible. Any ideas?
  • DenimDiva
    Options
    Hi ladies. I'm Roberta and I'm fairly new to MFP. I'm 47.

My blood pressure went from 145ish over 90ish. In August 2011 I went to the dr for a routine check-up. My weight hadn't changed. Blood work revealed that I had slightly elevated cholesterol and my blood sugar levels were pretty high. My blood pressure was now 122/80!! I started exercising more and eating healthier. In mid-December I went back. I had dropped 10 lbs, blood sugar levels were fine and so was my cholesterol. But......

My blood pressure was 151/85 and I went through a horrid time with my cycles. I started my period on 10/25 and it lasted until 1/23. Things were so bad over Christmas weekend that I almost went to ER twice..... once on the 23rd and the other on the 25th. With the holidays it was really hard to get in to see a dr., but they fitted me in where they could. I wound up going in for a very painful ultrasound on 1/11 (my birthday) and then went to see a gyn (the same one who delivered my grandson. lol!) on 1/26 (my older brother's birthday. He did a uterine biopsy and ordered blood work. The blood work determined that I am about 4 years away from menopause and everything else was negative. I do have to decide if I want to continue going through horrible periods or if I would like to use an IUD (no thanks, just not fond of the idea) or if I want to have Thermachoice or NovaSure. The gyn recommended Thermachoice so that is probably what I'll do.

During all of this my husband and I had to take a 14 hour drive to Minnesota to go to his nephew-in-law's funeral. (He was 25, rare liver cancer.) I had to spend two weeks with my in-laws. They are diabetics with high blood pressure, cholesterol and they eat whatever they want. They have no qualms about taking any types of medications and their idea of exercise is sitting in a hot tub.

I walked as much as my fibromyalgia would let me while we were there. Still, I gained 15 lbs!

I have fibro, disabling agoraphobia and severe problems with vertigo, but I do the best that I can. I really enjoy reading people's triumphs and victories and love to cheer with them. I also like to be of encouragement where I can.

15297202.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • DenimDiva
    DenimDiva Posts: 13
    Options
    Had my surgery last week. I'm hoping to get back on track quickly!