Worst book you had ever read?

Options
I just stop reading a book entitled "The Kid" by the same author who had written "Push" back in the 90's and recently had a movie called "Precious"

It was extremely hard to read due to the vagary and bad (I hope) intentional grammar. I wanted to give this book a try by finishing it, but half way into the book I was getting headaches just trying to keep up with the horrible narration.

Replies

• Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    my DNF are really high since I have little patience for bad books.

Books that were badly written but everyone seam to love are the Twilight series and anything written by Dan Brown.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    If a book doesn't grab me in the first 50 pages or so, it's done. Life is just too short for a bad book and bad wine.

Three Cups of Tea got tossed. Also, I struggled with Mansfield Park. I'm currently reading Bel Canto. I haven't hit 50 pages yet, but it's meh.
  • Barbie1125
    Options
    I mostly read true crime but for a change i decided to read my first Stephen King book "IT" im down to my last 100 pages finally.. I might read another one of his not sure yet. Im like the above poster though if im not captivated early on I toss it. Great post though Id like to see what NOT to read.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    If a book doesn't grab me in the first 50 pages or so, it's done. Life is just too short for a bad book and bad wine.

Same here. It doesn't happen that often. The last book I stopped reading was The Last Boy: Mickey Mantle and the End of America's Childhood. It was just so poorly written I couldn't follow it.
  • jenbit
    jenbit Posts: 4,289 Member
    Options
    :grumble: Twilight Ugh worst series every badly written with a poor message. I have yet to understand why " OMG my boyfriend left me now I'm gonna do stupid **** til I get his attention is suppossed to be a love story . What a message for young girls
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I read the Twi-series just b/c I wanted to understand the fuss. Still don't get it.

I love Stephen King usually, but I have picked up and put down Tommyknockers more times than I can count. It just doesn't grab me early enough to keep going.
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    the aforementioned Twis. recently read Unleashing Angel. spent the entire time hoping that the plot was going to exist on the next page. poorly written, poorly plotted.

I know i'm probably going to get slammed for this, but i cannot read Koontz. i think his stories are TERRIBLE.

and though i love arthurian tales, MZB has never been able to hold my attention.

and i have never EVER been able to read the Bronte sisters. not a single book by any of the sisters. cannot do it.
  • Pocket_Pixi
    Pocket_Pixi Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    I read the entire Twi series... it started off as a one book thing to see if a friend of mines kid could read it (her mother was against all things paranormal) so they gave me the book to read... when I finished the book, I read the rest because I wanted to know what the hell happened lol however...the whole "getting pregnant by a vampire thing" lost me lol

Other than the Twi series.. The Host also by S. Meyer (or however its spelled)

I am currently reading The girl with the Dragon Tattoo, and everyone tells me it gets better but I am almost half way through and ready to give up....
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    I really tried to read "The Sound and The Fury", by Faulkner, it's a "should" book, but I hated it. I couldn't figure anything out, and I just discarded it. Also, "The Hours". I just can't figure out what the hell is going on, who the characters are, if they are imaginary, I just get confused every time I try that one.
  • ThePhoenixRose
    ThePhoenixRose Posts: 1,985 Member
    Options
    Catcher in the Rye. I just read it this past summer because I'd never read it before and it's one of those books you "should" read. Yuck. Now, granted, i read it at age 30. several friends said that, had i read it at 15, i would have loved it. but i'm not so sure... not my kind of thing.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I read about 3 pages of the first Twilight book and was done. Bad writing, boring characters, and one-dimensional plot. I felt this way about the early Harry Potter books also, but thankfully, they improved greatly in the later part of the series.
  • twoscimitars
    twoscimitars Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Moby ****. Jane Eyre. Many of the American classics actually. I just have no interest.
  • Amber393
    Amber393 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Worst book I've ever read.

The unbearable lightness of being.
  • azlady7
    azlady7 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    i might get crucified for this one.....the twilight series. I loooove to read and i read it for my teenager who swore i would like it if i read it....sigh. i read all of the books in 4 days just cause it was so damn easy to read and i wanted to get it over with lol
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    "why men love b!tches" by Sherry Argrov has got to be the dumbest book I've ever read

Skinny B!tch by Rory Freedman was a complete waste of time too
  • Marig0ld
    Marig0ld Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    I really tried to read "The Sound and The Fury", by Faulkner, it's a "should" book, but I hated it. I couldn't figure anything out, and I just discarded it. Also, "The Hours". I just can't figure out what the hell is going on, who the characters are, if they are imaginary, I just get confused every time I try that one.

Agreed. Couldn't stand. Same for "Love in the Time of Cholera". Both English and Spanish!
  • PrincessLou71186
    PrincessLou71186 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I read the Twi-series just b/c I wanted to understand the fuss. Still don't get it.

Similar story, I was forced to watch the first three movies and because I can't stand not knowing what happens in things I had to read the fourth book (yet to see it, doubt I will) and consequently, because there is usually a lot missing in the films from the book I couldn't just read the final book, I had to read the first three too. And I was unbelievably disappointed with the ending.

I read books all the way through, even if they bore me because I live in hope that it will turn good, and like I say above, I hate not knowing.

I can't think of the title of the worst book I have ever read but I have to say, I love Cecelia Ahern's books. I have read the first seven and although I have the eighth, I have yet to read it. Simply because I know I will read it from cover to cover and I don't have the time at the moment.
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Moby ****, Interview with the Vampire, Watership Down, Marked..... Those are at the top of my list.

On another note, I happened to Love the Twilight series. I'll admit, it isn't for everyone, but no need to be a hater. :-)
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I have big problems with the Russians - Chekhov, Dostoevsky, Tolstoy. They seem to have a knack for using as many words as possible to convey overwhelming bleakness. I find them tedious. I am also not a fan of Charles ****ens. I think I read that he was paid by the word - it shows.

If I had to pick a worst book ever - for me, it would be The Brothers Karamazov. Insufferable!
  • katsmo
    katsmo Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I don't read a lot of bad books because I do my research first before deciding what to read. The most mainstream popular book that I just hated was Eat, Pray, Love. I had to make myself finish it. What was all the fuss about?!