Fake success pictuers

Options

Replies

• Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    ahh I see exactly where this thread is going.......

Going by this thread, it is going to be mighty easy to brush off anybody that does things that are not the "norm" on MFP as being fake and if they then post photos, those will be considered fake too.

Oh dear, what a slippery path.

We may all as well pack up and go home and never log on again if what is going to happen is some people are going to be accused of being fake, how very convenient for the masses......
    :huh:

There was a case where one person was proven to be using photoshopped pics to "inspire" her fans. They were quite obviously fakes. I don't think that most folks suspect the majority of the pics though.

To be honest, shouldn't suspect any of the pics, if you do, where do you stop?

This spoils the whole concept of MFP and the forums....
  • AlbertPooHoles
    AlbertPooHoles Posts: 530 Member
    Options

I suspect them when they are obvious fakes. It's hard not to. :laugh:
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options

What is an obvious fake though?
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    I don't get why it's a big deal.

I could fake my weigh-in's too, or my diary, or 'shop my pics, or use really old photos...no one would ever know. Except me.

Most people don't know (or care) that I reset my ticker after a long break. It would say 40+ pounds if I'd left it alone. None of anyone's business though, to be blunt. This is MY journey and I'll do it MY way.

I understand what you're saying. I had to reset my ticker too, I think a lot of us have. I lost 15 then started MFP, once I learned how the settings worked I went back and tried to adjust it..it's fairly common...

I just really don't think people should flat out lie to come off as better than they are. Because they do it to show off and brag about results that they haven't earned. Sure we all have good and bad camera angles. But photoshopping your head on someone else's body so you can say "Hey look how great I've done!" is just wrong. It's taking someone else's hard work and claiming it as your own. It's not "your journey" at that point. It's someone else's that you're taking credit for.

And if you've got people who think you're an inspiration or look up to you it's really terrible to do that to them.
  • BettyyRoss
    BettyyRoss Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    if you righteously sit around trying to figure out if someone's picture is fake or not, you definitely have too much time on your hands. just saying.
  • AlbertPooHoles
    Options

What is an obvious fake though?
    ****ty photo doctoring. Really? You've never seen a poorly doctored photo?

This isn't about a witch hunt. It's simply an observation -- a discussion about the topic. I've seen it maybe twice in over a year here, and it wasn't reported.
  • AlbertPooHoles
    Options
    if you righteously sit around trying to figure out if someone's picture is fake or not, you definitely have too much time on your hands. just saying.
    I don't think that folks are looking for them. They just happen upon them.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    This isn't about a witch hunt. It's simply an observation -- a discussion about the topic. I've seen it maybe twice in over a year here, and it wasn't reported.

Yeah I'm not saying we should burn anyone at the stake. I wouldn't even report them. I just don't like being lied to is all.
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    I don't get why it's a big deal.

I could fake my weigh-in's too, or my diary, or 'shop my pics, or use really old photos...no one would ever know. Except me.

Most people don't know (or care) that I reset my ticker after a long break. It would say 40+ pounds if I'd left it alone. None of anyone's business though, to be blunt. This is MY journey and I'll do it MY way.

I understand what you're saying. I had to reset my ticker too, I think a lot of us have. I lost 15 then started MFP, once I learned how the settings worked I went back and tried to adjust it..it's fairly common...

I just really don't think people should flat out lie to come off as better than they are. Because they do it to show off and brag about results that they haven't earned. Sure we all have good and bad camera angles. But photoshopping your head on someone else's body so you can say "Hey look how great I've done!" is just wrong. It's taking someone else's hard work and claiming it as your own. It's not "your journey" at that point. It's someone else's that you're taking credit for.

And if you've got people who think you're an inspiration or look up to you it's really terrible to do that to them.
    I agree. Personally, I know that a lot of people look at my success and my journey and, because of that, I feel a responsibility to be honest (which means that I will readily admit that my tummy, although quite small now, still looks like it was attacked by Freddy Krueger) about things. As it is, my results may not mirror yours due to differences in height/body fat/age/genetics/etc but I will still be honest about it.

The thing is, though, most people don't lie. Most people ARE honest and their tickers may not reflect their total weight loss or maybe they're bodies have changed a lot without the scale moving much, but although there are a small number of people who post inaccurate pictures, most people don't. I'd rather focus on that.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    But the silly part of the argument is saying, "She says she lost 15 and it looks like she lost 40."

I'm not claiming to be an expert on women, despite being one, but I don't know very many who'd lie and say they weigh MORE than they do! If someone's going to go through the hassle of photo-doctoring, why would they make up a moderate weight loss to go with it?
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    But the silly part of the argument is saying, "She says she lost 15 and it looks like she lost 40."

I'm not claiming to be an expert on women, despite being one, but I don't know very many who'd lie and say they weigh MORE than they do! If someone's going to go through the hassle of photo-doctoring, why would they make up a moderate weight loss to go with it?
    I don't know... I've honestly had people tell me that "there is NO way" I am the size I am if I weigh as much as I do. I can show them the tags on my clothes, and I can step on the scale in front of them, but unless I do both of those, they may not believe me.
  • DorisR184
    DorisR184 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I agree but when I see be for and after pictures that makes me wanna push myself even more but when I read they only lost 15 pounds and there picture looks like they lost 40.....SMH yeah that don't match up.

I've lost 74 lbs so far and I didnt join MFP until looong after I had already started my weightloss journey and I'm sure that's the case with many people on here. Just because the ticker doesn't state your total loss doesn't mean people are lying or being fake about it. To my knowledge the ticker will only show how much has been lost since becoming a member of MFP.
  • wardance21
    Options
    If they are fake andi If it's helping you push yourself. It's still benefits you.
  • niciivey
    niciivey Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I have lost 40lbs even though my ticker says I've only lost 32. I currently weigh 30lbs more than I did in high school, yet I am wearing an 18 now and in high school I wore a 22 at my highest weight (30lbs less than I am now).

I think that it is possible to not lose a whole lot of weight and yet be able to see a massive difference. The people that have lost 15lbs may also have not had a whole lot of weight to lose which would make their 15lb loss look like 50lbs on someone bigger.
  • fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    Maybe they lost weight....joined MFP..lost more weight...and the ticker reflects their "MFP weight loss". It's ok....thinking is hard.
    mines like that .... the pic was probably my heaviest weight and my current pic ..... not when I started MFP

wowza.jpg
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    ahh I see exactly where this thread is going.......

Going by this thread, it is going to be mighty easy to brush off anybody that does things that are not the "norm" on MFP as being fake and if they then post photos, those will be considered fake too.

Oh dear, what a slippery path.

We may all as well pack up and go home and never log on again if what is going to happen is some people are going to be accused of being fake, how very convenient for the masses......
    :huh:

There was a case where one person was proven to be using photoshopped pics to "inspire" her fans. They were quite obviously fakes. I don't think that most folks suspect the majority of the pics though.

I suspect all of them. I don't know anyone on here personally, so there is at least a 50/50 chancen that any pic is altered or completely fake, and that the person is lying about who or what they are. That's just the way the world wide web works.

But I don't see why that is a reason to quit the site. It's reason to not take things at face value. Reason to research something that is contrary to what you've heard elsewhere. Believing everything you see or hear on an open internet site is not wise.
  • I think the idea of you just putting in the effort is awesome. Do I believe some of the photos on here are photo shopped yes, but when you cheat you only cheat yourself that is what they use to tell us in boot camp. Do the best you can and find some positive people on here to motivate you not the pictures.
  • Scorpioangel
    Scorpioangel Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I never saw any that I thought that about but honestly I haven't looked at the before and after pictures too much. I know personally that I have been asked if I have Photoshopped my pictures to make my arms look more cut, etc. I have also been told that my before pictures and after pictures were not of the same person! LOL :) I personally don't understand why someone would do that, because that person is only lying to himself or herself. I even made a YouTube video showing my arms to people who kept messaging me saying I was squeezing them up in a picture to make them look defined LOL :)

Oh one more thing I wanted to add that I thought of! Someone on another site stated that my transformation did not look like a 40 something pound loss even though I had pictures of the scale! Trust me peeps it was 49 pounds to date that I lost. I had back fat galore LOL :)
  • CiaraH18
    CiaraH18 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    You have to take into consideration that people are differents heights and builds. Everyone doesn't lose weight the same way or in the same places. It's like me, I don't look how much I weigh and when I start to lose weight it will look differently than someone else my same weight.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    You have to take into consideration that people are differents heights and builds. Everyone doesn't lose weight the same way or in the same places. It's like me, I don't look how much I weigh and when I start to lose weight it will look differently than someone else my same weight.

yep. I agree. I have had quite a few people be really surprised and shocked I was nearly 500 lbs. when I started. I'm pretty tall, 6'3 and have a large frame. and apparently I carry it well. right now people that don't know me guess that I am about 220-250 range. I wish I was but I'm not.
This discussion has been closed.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!