Hubby trying to lead me astray

Options
Hi, I am new to MFP - and looking for support to help me reach my 60lb goal. I seem to do really well during the day, but then find it difficult in the evening when my hubby wants to eat unhealthy food!

Anyone any advice/ ideas for healthy alternatives so that I dont have to cook 2 meals?!

:wink:

Replies

• EddieG77
    EddieG77 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    WELCOME!!!! Hope you find this site very supportive!! It has been great for me and if you need support, please feel free to add me. As far as recipes, have a search through the forums as there are a lot of ideas. Hopefully your husband will join in with you and support your goals!! Best of luck!!
  • rajivdubey
    rajivdubey Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Please keep doing your stuff...once he looks at the results he will understand!
  • LemonDiva
    Options
    cook your food when its your turn... and have a spare tucked away for when he does his stuff... freeze leftovers or give it to the dog... I suggest making yours as yummy as you can seduce him x x x

or buy some sexy lingerie and tell him the sooner he gets with the program the sooner you will wear it x x x
  • taramaureen
    taramaureen Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Just make what you're going to make for yourself but make it in a larger quantity for him. Healthy doesn't mean untasty. Just make simple swaps (ie. turkey for ground beef, chicken breast instead of chicken thighs, etc) then LOAD up on the veggies.
  • flab2sixpack
    Options
    Welcome!

So, instead of trying to cook 2 meals why not eat just a smaller portion of what hubby is eating but add more veggies to your plate? Then, walk/jog for 30 mins/day to burn off some calories. It won't take long to reach your goal but it does take determination.
  • lookitslisa
    lookitslisa Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    hey i had the exact same issue with my husband when i first started. he thought it was funny to tease me & wanted to eat unhealthy stuff. so i made kinda the same meals but i added more veg to mine, less or no rice/pasta/bread or made switches for wholewheat foods. after about 10 days my husband noticed a difference in me and my energy & now he is being healthy, going the gym and telling me im doing a good job haha. a good tip i find with men is if u ask them for help or advice they love to feel like they are telling you whats what...so ask him would it be better to eat this or this? then he may enjoy sounding the expert & think it was his choice to eat healthy lol.
  • Katy8967
    Katy8967 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Hi hun,

my boyfriends exactly the same. He works away all week and eats quite well when hes away, but when he comes home at the weekend he just wants junk. The easiest way iv found is just to eat the same thing (we cant afford to prepare 2 different meals) but i eat a smaller portion and add more veggies and i try to balance my calories during the day or ill sneak an extra workout in somewhere if i need to

My bloke even says he feels bad when he comes home for disrupting my healthy eating but i never beat myself up for having weekend treats.

hope you find a happy medium :) xx
  • ChristineDiet
    ChristineDiet Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Hi and welcome.

I have the same kind of issue, but I just have a smaller portion and a load of salad. Like someone else said to you can make foods with white meats and fish instead of the red meats. If he wants burger and chips you can make burger and chips, but use turkey mince, a load of salad and make your own chunky potato wedges. I just cook some potatoes in the microwave for about 10 minutes, turning over half way through, then cut up into wedges, sprinkle with a little light oil and salt and pepper. there better than chips. If you want a dressing, make it low fat.

Remember it's a lifestyle not a diet. I eat everything I want, just smaller and made in a healthier way.

Good luck. x
  • wowamom87
    wowamom87 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel, my husband thinks I am trying to lose a million lbs when I am only trying to have a more healthy diet. I have to usually hide away and eat or pick at the food he wants me to eat till he leaves the table. It is really tough. I rely a lot on salads, eggs, and I make some things ahead of time from Skinnytaste.com.. my husband actually loves pretty much anything I have made from that website. So he doesn't even know I am trying to eat better when the whole family sits down to eat.
  • subway_to_liz
    Options
    Hi and welcome!

Like almost everyone here says - eat less of his stuff and load up on veggies and salad, cut the carbs. I also gradually just made the portions smaller for him, too (using smaller plates, he didn't even notice!) and introduced healthy foods without telling him (didn't notice) like wholegrain pasta (was a special offer), couscous (reminds me of vacation) and he liked it and now I'm making it more often :)

Very often, I just have to throw him some fries/chips in the oven or put some pasta on his plate to make all the "unhealthy" difference for him, although the meal is still super healthy :)

Good luck!
  • Jennieam
    Jennieam Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    seem to do really well during the day, but then find it difficult in the evening when my hubby wants to eat unhealthy food!
    You mention that you do really well during the day. OK. That's a great start. It means that you are already using your calories on "healthy" foods. So you have a few more calories you can "spend" on your evening meal.

What type of "unhealthy food" does he like? It sounds as though it is cooked at home? Is it meat? Can you buy a "lean" version? And have it with vegetables or salad? Is it desert? Can you make a fruit salad? Is it creamy food? Can you use yoghurt instead?
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Ummm, if he doesn't like what you want to eat get him to cook his own dinner....
  • JustLena75
    Options
    I wouldn't cook 2 meals...I won't do it for my child and I won't for my husband! My husband is kind of a picky eater...I actually haven't changed my cooking much. I just measure out my portions now with measuring cups, I look up everything I cook on here so I know how much I can eat and still stay within range. He doesn't always pay attention when I'm cooking, so I make substitutions and he doesn't usually now...like FF sour cream, whole wheat pasta, brown rice, etc. I bake almost every type of meat I cook. He will eat veggies but only certain ones. I get Bountiful Baskets every other week and eat through those with my daughter. He may eat the veggie I cook sometimes, maybe not. I can't force him. I'd like him to be healthier but he has to want it for himself. He's not overweight but doesn't have the healthiest eating habits either.
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    I am genuinely shocked that so many women seem to cook for their husbands on a daily basis, honestly - do they never cook or do you not cook together? I've always cooked with my partners, it was a bonding, romantic sort of thing. Though to be fair I am the single one on this thread - perhaps I need to get my apron on!
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I am genuinely shocked that so many women seem to cook for their husbands on a daily basis, honestly - do they never cook or do you not cook together? I've always cooked with my partners, it was a bonding, romantic sort of thing. Though to be fair I am the single one on this thread - perhaps I need to get my apron on!
    My wife loves to cook. Oh yes....:sick:

Lousy cook she is......
  • sculley
    sculley Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    I made three dinners every night for a year before my divorce now that I'm with my husband I have changed many things. I will make a main entree and have a small portion and makes a bigger side of veggies or saladFind food you can cook that the can get his calories but for you small portions and a salad.. Or do I like I do when mine brings sweets to bed I will get a skinny cow ice-cream ;) good luck
  • carolbrady1
    carolbrady1 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I am very lucky in that my hubby is a chef and is very supportive of my need to get leaner and fitter. He does admit that the portions HE cooks for ME can be somewhat on the large side but most of what he cooks is healthy. However there is a great book out called Cook Yourself Thin with great tasty recipes but healthier leaner ingredients, which we BOTH like and cook from regularly - maybe something like that would be a good compromise?

Please check out this link if you are interested:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cook-Yourself-Thin-Delicious-dress/dp/0718153510/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1328699184&sr=8-1

Cheers, Carol.
  • awdamm
    awdamm Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    if he doesn't support your choices then he can make his own food all the time.

don't stand for negative anything in your life!
  • fimary
    fimary Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I understand as my husband gives me no support, he has left 3 cans of lager in the fridge and i am sure its just to test me, thenif i drank one he would mock and say thought you were on a diet, as normally he would have drunk them by now. I prepare all my meals separate and give him and kids a meal.

awdamn - if their was a like button would have pressed it.
  • TonyL68
    TonyL68 Posts: 133 Member
    Options

We have two kids and my wife and I both work. We split and share all the household duties according to what our "talents" are. The only time she cooks is when I'm sick or away lol. But there are benefits: I don't think I've cleaned a toilet in 16 years. I'm ok with that.