Why women SHOULD strength train.

Options
124»

Replies

• LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    I like my womanly curves, too, but they're a lot more womanly and curvy with strength training. That's myth we want to dispel, that strength training and working on your muscles means that you'll lose your curves and look like a boy. Not sure what sexual orientation has to do with any of it, other than making you sound ignorant and bigoted.

Honestly, do I look any less curvy for having strength trained? In my mind, my waist looks smaller and my bum looks higher and rounded. Both of those sound like feminine traits to me. Also, my weight is only about 2-3# less in the "after" photo.

camo-suit-back-june-jan.jpg
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Strength training does remove a woman's curves....
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    @Lorina - you still look plenty curvy in all the right places. Great job!
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    Lorina, yes your *kitten* does look better. It's one of my goals to perk up mine just a bit just like that. Either way, there's no doubt you look feminine and so weight lifting in this manner (not purposely bulking) does a woman's body great, imo. Go girl!

Your curves were enhanced, definitely.
  • MissConfidence
    Options
    sounds interesting. bumping for later
  • Pickles11
    Pickles11 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Bump for later
  • kaetmarie
    kaetmarie Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • laFuerte
    laFuerte Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    was at work today so this post is a bit late.... but... great work. you are an advocate. i love that you took the time to share this concept with people. i have been strength training for the last few weeks again. havent done it since highschool. i feel so strong!! and that makes me feel so happy. i love being a strong and toned woman!!! glad there are others out there that can support this subject!! Props!! ;)
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    great information!
  • Rae6503
    Options
    Strength training does remove a woman's curves....

Opps that was supposed to say does NOT remove a woman's curves.
  • paprad
    paprad Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    i think your curves are plenty feminine - it's one of those copout myths, that strength training makes a woman look like a man. there are quite a few women on FP who've shown us that's just not true
  • scotslass
    Options
    This is something I want to start doing...im constant cardio but lvoe the changes strength training does to the body..leaves you nice and toned not skinny fat :-)
  • martymum
    martymum Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    bumping thanks mxx
  • imjessly
    imjessly Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Awesome presentation! I was always told to do less heavy weights and more reps so i don't 'bulk up', but I think i'm going to start lifting heavy :)
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    Excellent presentation!

I can only possibly add 1 thing to it as I didn't hear you mention how needful weight lifting & weight bearing exercises are to women in preventing or delaying the onset of osteoporosis.
    The amount of bone mass we accumulate peaks at about 30 years of age. The earlier in life you start exercising and adding weight training into your workouts, the more mass you have to draw on later in life.
    Here is a link for anyone who would like to know more about how weight training can benefit women!

Thank again for posting! It was awesome!

http://www.webmd.com/diet/default.htm

Bone strength is a huge reason to lift weight. My husband is a semi-pro cyclist, and had a bad accident 2 years ago. He had NINE breaks in one shot, including his scapula, which is very hard to break. Orthopedic surgeon, who does a lot of sports injuries, said excessive cardio can drain the calcium from your bones. You need lots of calcium and weight baring exercise to keep them strong for life.
  • sma83
    sma83 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Thanks for sharing! I have always wanted to do weight lifting of some sort but like you pointed out I am totally intimidated by it. You gave me a lot of reasons to start anyway!
  • aregensb
    aregensb Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Love it!

Do you mind if I share it with some friends who have been asking me about weight training?
  • SWilland
    SWilland Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Bump to watch later :) Im excited to watch it!
  • Rae6503
    Options
    Love it!

Do you mind if I share it with some friends who have been asking me about weight training?

No, not at all.