MFP Runner's Club

Options

Replies

• msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Ended up running 2 miles tonight. I started out dying - ever have one of those days where you start out and immediately you think, "Man, this feels like crap, I should have just taken the day off." But then I pushed, and once I got paced and got my breathing down I ended up doing AWESOME. I shaved 4 seconds off my mile, down to 8'41"
    Still not where I want to be, but I'm happy to see the improvement.
  • SatelliteCrush80
    SatelliteCrush80 Posts: 3,575 Member
    Options
    Ran my 5K in 34:08 today at what is becoming normal pace, no speedwork. Not my best time so far, but I realized that it's over a minute and a half better than it was 3 weeks ago. I'm pretty proud of myself considering that I almost didn't go at all due to total laziness and lack of motivation. 10 days til my first 5k!
  • msarro
    Options
    I am set to start week 8 on Couch to 5k tomorrow - did intervals last night - just couldn't motivate myself to just keep running. Funny how much my mental state plays in my jogging. That was 3 days in a row of some jogging so today is a rest day. My hips were really hurting last night - getting better as the day goes on.

msarro - treadmill?? maybe the weather will break - you could always run some flights of stairs

Way to work hard everyone.

Great work making it to week 8 on c25k! I've got 2 more runs in week 9 though to be honest my interest has sort of gone elsewhere. I know I can do the distance now, I just want to do it faster :laugh: Still, gotta finish it up - then I start freeway to 10k!

Sadly I don't have access to a treadmill. I am considering driving to the local library and doing some hill sprints in the rain. At least then it won't be a super long run getting drenched.
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Extremely hot run tonight. Local fun run at the park. Ran 1 mile w/ my 5yo dd (what a trooper!!), then ran 3 fast miles w/ a local triathlete. He is amazing and could kick my butt any day of the week, but he ran and gave me some good training tips. It was a trail run and kinda muddy too which was different than my usual runs! When I finished I didn't have one dry spot on me!! Whew! My hubby ran 2 miles, I was proud of him!!

Then did Ab Ripper X. And then showered. Gross! :laugh:
  • msarro
    Options
    Extremely hot run tonight. Local fun run at the park. Ran 1 mile w/ my 5yo dd (what a trooper!!), then ran 3 fast miles w/ a local triathlete. He is amazing and could kick my butt any day of the week, but he ran and gave me some good training tips. It was a trail run and kinda muddy too which was different than my usual runs! When I finished I didn't have one dry spot on me!! Whew! My hubby ran 2 miles, I was proud of him!!

Then did Ab Ripper X. And then showered. Gross! :laugh:

I'm wondering, wouldn't a run in mud actually be a harder run? Your foot will stick to the ground, so it will add resistance. Plus while your foot is in the air it will most likely have mud sticking to it, which is additional weight you have to carry.
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    I'm wondering, wouldn't a run in mud actually be a harder run? Your foot will stick to the ground, so it will add resistance. Plus while your foot is in the air it will most likely have mud sticking to it, which is additional weight you have to carry.

Oh yeah, I think trail runs are harder. You have to watch your footing, the ground is uneven, and it just makes you work harder. Kinda like running in sand... and yes my shoes are muddy! Good thing my new ones just arrived today. :drinker:

BTW, where does everyone order their shoes from?? I like http://www.runningwarehouse.com or http://www.kellysrunningwarehouse.com and even sometimes http://www.zappos.com I wear Asics GT-2140's so I know what shoe to buy. Just wait til I find the best price. :bigsmile:
  • msarro
    Options

Oh yeah, I think trail runs are harder. You have to watch your footing, the ground is uneven, and it just makes you work harder. Kinda like running in sand... and yes my shoes are muddy! Good thing my new ones just arrived today. :drinker:

BTW, where does everyone order their shoes from?? I like http://www.runningwarehouse.com or http://www.kellysrunningwarehouse.com and even sometimes http://www.zappos.com I wear Asics GT-2140's so I know what shoe to buy. Just wait til I find the best price. :bigsmile:

I get mine from a local running store. They're a little pricy, but its a family shop and I'd prefer to buy local. Plus they hook me up with shoes that fit PERFECT.
  • vrdz3215
    vrdz3215 Posts: 493
    Options
    Ended up running 2 miles tonight. I started out dying - ever have one of those days where you start out and immediately you think, "Man, this feels like crap, I should have just taken the day off." But then I pushed, and once I got paced and got my breathing down I ended up doing AWESOME. I shaved 4 seconds off my mile, down to 8'41"
    Still not where I want to be, but I'm happy to see the improvement.

This happens to me too sometimes, I usually don't get into my "groove" until after the first mile, just goes to show that if you push your self the limits are endless! congrats on the improvement!:drinker: :drinker:

I took the day off yesterday as the bf wanted to go out to dinner and by the time we got back it was wayyy too late to go run. I will def be doing 5 on saturday and sunday..hope everyone has a great weekend, and to those running races, Good Luck!!!:happy: :happy: :happy:
  • kechiemc
    kechiemc Posts: 1,355 Member
    Options
    Happy Friday!

5 mile tempo run for me. At 7:30 am it was 78 degrees with 72% humidity. The heat index 82 degrees. I was HOT and not in a good way.:laugh:

1 mile slow to warm up
    3 miles @ 9:32
    1 mile slow to cool down

I feel good today. It is my daughter's birthday so we are off to get manicures and have lunch together. The big birthday bash is tomorrow so I'll see you guys again Sunday.

chat soon
    -Kechie.
  • msarro
    Options
    I'm hoping the weather works out tonight! I had planned, yet again, to run at 6am this morning and I just snooze-buttoned through it. For some reason I just can't get my butt out of bed like i could a few weeks ago. I need to get in 2 more distance runs this week yet because I didn't get to go on wednesday.
  • annaliza
    annaliza Posts: 809
    Options
    Good morning everyone!!

Thank you to everyone's kind words on my coworkers "faux pas". You really lifted my spirits!! I am so glad that I have people to come to that understands what I'm going to.

In my town we are having a Folk Festival where they have all kinds of yummy fair foods, booths, and groups of folk musicians everywhere. It's a wonderful sight to see/hear. And a good time to see friends who only show up once a year for the festival.

So yesterday I ran the 3.5 miles to the festival (from my house) to meet my husband, ran another mile to my mother in laws, picked up the kids, walked another mile back with them (with my son on my shoulders) and burned a total of 1000 calories!!

Which was my plan because I cannot resist those ribbon potatoes :laugh: But ohhh, the salt!!! I probably get bloated from it.

So, a rest day for me....maybe some strength training.

Have a great day everyone!!!
  • duffyzmom
    duffyzmom Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    5 mile tempo run, yesterday. Still slower than I'd hope but definitely an improvement from last week. Today is a 2 mile easy run. In-laws are visiting this weekend so may have to delay long run until Monday. Happy Father's Day to all the running dads!
  • gustergirl
    gustergirl Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    msarro--it has helped me alot mentally to read over and over again that peoples "first mile" is usually not that good, they dont feel that good etc. Just remember that-push through that first mile and you will be good. I am doing a 10K on 8/1--whens yours?

Kechie--my daughter also has a birthday--she's 6 today!! We just made cupcakes!

Annaliza--listen to yourself not those silly coworkers--they just dont get it! :)

I am running a 4.15 mile course that I found on mapmyrun.com which is nice because then its already set up for me and its right down the street. I feel like I am stalking though haha because someone that lives 5 minutes away posted the run and runs it regularly!
  • jodi0117
    jodi0117 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone!!

Thank you to everyone's kind words on my coworkers "faux pas". You really lifted my spirits!! I am so glad that I have people to come to that understands what I'm going to.

In my town we are having a Folk Festival where they have all kinds of yummy fair foods, booths, and groups of folk musicians everywhere. It's a wonderful sight to see/hear. And a good time to see friends who only show up once a year for the festival.

So yesterday I ran the 3.5 miles to the festival (from my house) to meet my husband, ran another mile to my mother in laws, picked up the kids, walked another mile back with them (with my son on my shoulders) and burned a total of 1000 calories!!

Which was my plan because I cannot resist those ribbon potatoes :laugh: But ohhh, the salt!!! I probably get bloated from it.

So, a rest day for me....maybe some strength training.

Have a great day everyone!!!

I love how you got your workout in around everything you had planned! That is what I always tell people who tell me they don't have time to run/workout--if you really WANT to get it done, you will find a way. Awesome job!

I wouldn't worry about those ribbon potatoes--sounds like you took care of that!
  • SherryRH
    SherryRH Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Wow, kechie and gustergirl today must be a popular day for kids birthdays. My son is 20 today.:flowerforyou:
  • jodi0117
    jodi0117 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Rest day for me today. I'll have a long run tomorrow early in the morning and then off to the lake with the family to meet some friends. Can't wait!
  • jabdye
    jabdye Posts: 4,059 Member
    Options
    Happy Friday!!! :drinker:

Today is a rest day for me....and I am out of sorts!!! I feel like I forgot something important this morning -- like getting dressed :embarassed: but it's just that I didn't run :frown: But I know my legs will be happy I rested today because tomorrow is a long run day and it's supposed to be 97 degrees!! After running -- there'll be wine and fishing! A perfect day to get my....run on....drink on....fish on!!!:bigsmile: Happy day!

Hope you all have a fabulous Father's Day!
  • jabdye
    jabdye Posts: 4,059 Member
    Options
    Wow, kechie and gustergirl today must be a popular day for kids birthdays. My son is 20 today.:flowerforyou:

Must be a popular day -- today is my brother's birthday too!!! :flowerforyou:
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    I get mine from a local running store. They're a little pricy, but its a family shop and I'd prefer to buy local. Plus they hook me up with shoes that fit PERFECT.

I used to get mine from the local running store and I still support them there but not for shoes!! I can get them at least $30 cheaper a pair online, and I buy them every 2-3 mos so it's worth it! :wink:
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    Happy birthday to all of the birthday people! :drinker: And Happy Father's Day to our running Dads! :drinker:

No run today for me. Not after that hard, hot run last night!!

But... am going out for a long bike, at least 20+ miles. It his super hot still, supposed to rain later. Hope I can get some sun while biking!! :wink: