MFP Runner's Club

Options

Replies

• jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    msarro--it has helped me alot mentally to read over and over again that peoples "first mile" is usually not that good, they dont feel that good etc. Just remember that-push through that first mile and you will be good.
    This is so true!! My first mile is just like a warm up, it takes a bit to get in the groove. I usually feel best after I hit about 4 miles, by the time I hit mile 5 I'm usually in the *zone* and can just keep on running!! That's why I don't enjoy 5K's as much, it feels like I'm just warming up and it's over! :laugh:
  • beckyi88
    beckyi88 Posts: 604
    Options
    Super hot and humid run for me as well! mid 70s for both temp and humidity with not a cloud in the sky. NOT complaining mind you...I'll take heat anyday over cold! It was just the first *oh, good God it's hot out here* run of the summer!
    We've started a running clinic for the summer at the Y and somehow I was substitute *teacher* for the advanced group today! What the heck!?!?!? I guess I might have to start believing I'm actually a runner.
    Did 3 miles in 28 minutes, which worked out to 9;20 miles...same as my race pace last weekend? Then dropped some off, picked some up and went for another 1.35 miles.
    I know I'm slow compared to most of you, but I have a huge mental block and am convinced I am a 12 minute miler, but somehow I keep running sub 10 minute miles. It's truly a head game, isn't it!?
    Want to try for 7 tomorrow but I'll have to see who my running partner is. Although that's my next hurdle...learning to run alone.....very scary thought for me!

Have a wonderful weekend everyone!

Becky
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    Super hot and humid run for me as well! mid 70s for both temp and humidity with not a cloud in the sky. NOT complaining mind you...I'll take heat anyday over cold! It was just the first *oh, good God it's hot out here* run of the summer!
    We've started a running clinic for the summer at the Y and somehow I was substitute *teacher* for the advanced group today! What the heck!?!?!? I guess I might have to start believing I'm actually a runner.
    Did 3 miles in 28 minutes, which worked out to 9;20 miles...same as my race pace last weekend? Then dropped some off, picked some up and went for another 1.35 miles.
    I know I'm slow compared to most of you, but I have a huge mental block and am convinced I am a 12 minute miler, but somehow I keep running sub 10 minute miles. It's truly a head game, isn't it!?
    Want to try for 7 tomorrow but I'll have to see who my running partner is. Although that's my next hurdle...learning to run alone.....very scary thought for me!

Have a wonderful weekend everyone!

Becky

I felt that way for a long time too, am I a *real* runner?? YES, you are!! Great job!

My fav quote is... Running is a mental sport and we are ALL insane!!!! :bigsmile:

It is really a head game... tell yourself you can do it!

Jess
  • christine918
    christine918 Posts: 261
    Options
    I tried to run today and I could not. :cry: I am so bummed out about this injury. I guess I'll go back to the doctor on Mon.
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    I tried to run today and I could not. :cry: I am so bummed out about this injury. I guess I'll go back to the doctor on Mon.

Oh no!! Yes, go to see the Dr. I've had my fair share of running injuries and it does take time to get over! Take it easy!

Jess
  • jabdye
    jabdye Posts: 4,059 Member
    Options

Oh Christine -- I know you were hoping to run today and be pain free. I can only imagine how frustrated you must be. Hopefully the doc can help you out. :flowerforyou:
  • beckyi88
    beckyi88 Posts: 604
    Options

I felt that way for a long time too, am I a *real* runner?? YES, you are!! Great job!

My fav quote is... Running is a mental sport and we are ALL insane!!!! :bigsmile:

It is really a head game... tell yourself you can do it!

Jess

Thanks Jess! :happy:
    You all have been so encouraging to me. I love reading your times, distances,etc! Very inspiring!
  • VballLeash
    VballLeash Posts: 2,456 Member
    Options
    Becki- You aren't slow, keep up the good work! And I never ever run with people, always by my lonesome self haha I like it though because I don't have to worry about waiting for others and I can go whenever I want!

Christine- Sorry to hear that you couldn't run, hopefully the doc will be able to help, don't get down though you will be back at it in no time.

Jess- Have a good ride, I think I'm going to take up biking once I move to where theres a bike trail (I'll be moving in 2 weeks!!!!)

I did 6 today, in the heat, then 5 minutes of hula hooping and a slim series video... I will be decorating all day for the Jungle party that we are having at my house tonight, if you guys have ANY costume ideas let me know! I have no idea what I'm going to wear. Have a great day, HAPPY RUNNING! :happy:

~Leash :heart:
  • jabdye
    Options
    It looks like a lot of us are sturggling with the heat and humidity. Right now I only do my long run outdoors -- the rest are on a treadmill. Does anyone have any solutions for dehydration? I tried carrying a water bottle - the kind that straps to your hand -- and although it helped with dehydration my shoulder was killing me! Any suggestions?
  • christine918
    Options
    I just wanted to thank you guys for your support.:flowerforyou: No one else really understands how I feel, but all of you do. It's like you work so hard to get where you are then an injury happens and you have to start all over again! All of you are a great support system!!:love:
  • christine918
    Options
    I just wanted to thank you guys for your support.:flowerforyou: No one else really understands how I feel, but all of you do. It's like you work so hard to get where you are then an injury happens and you have to start all over again! All of you are a great support system!!:love:
  • ctmom1
    ctmom1 Posts: 189
    Options
    Ran 3 miles today alone. I usually run with 2 friends but the end of the year school stuff has us all going over to the school a lot and we couldn't come up with a time today to get together...Anyway, I like running with them because it gives me/us motivation. I actually stopped and walked up a hill today, it was the first time in a long time I had to walk a bit. I think if I wasn't alone I wouldn't have stopped running and I would have pushed on. Oh-well, it was the first time I ran these roads and didn't realized how many hills were involved!:ohwell:

Off to another birthday celebration tonight with more friends! I set a goal to run a 5k before my birthday and I did it!!! I'm really enjoying my bday this year!:drinker:

Christine~sorry your still not 100%

Good luck to anyone doing a race this weekend!!

Mary
  • jabdye
    Options

I know this doesn't compare -- but last Sept. I pulled my hamstring and was out for about 6 weeks. And I lost my drive -- it was very sad -- like my identity was shaken. So I totally understand. I hope that the doc can give you exercises/meds/etc to get you through. On a brighter note -- it's great getting back on track and you'll be there soon. Just listen to your body and don't push too hard. Rather come back strong than cause more injurty to yourself!!!
  • jabdye
    Options
    Ran 3 miles today alone. I usually run with 2 friends but the end of the year school stuff has us all going over to the school a lot and we couldn't come up with a time today to get together...Anyway, I like running with them because it gives me/us motivation. I actually stopped and walked up a hill today, it was the first time in a long time I had to walk a bit. I think if I wasn't alone I wouldn't have stopped running and I would have pushed on. Oh-well, it was the first time I ran these roads and didn't realized how many hills were involved!:ohwell:

Off to another birthday celebration tonight with more friends! I set a goal to run a 5k before my birthday and I did it!!! I'm really enjoying my bday this year!:drinker:

Christine~sorry your still not 100%

Good luck to anyone doing a race this weekend!!

Mary

Happy Birthday!!!:drinker:

WOOHOOO and CONGRATS on the 5K ACCOMPLISHMENT!!!!
  • gustergirl
    gustergirl Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I got out for a 4 mile run today. It was pretty hot and I forgot my hat-hopefully I didnt get too much sunburn. Gotta lot of catcalls from the bums though!! Made me laugh while I was running!!:laugh:
  • SatelliteCrush80
    SatelliteCrush80 Posts: 3,575 Member
    Options
    Today is a well deserved rest day for me...pushed myself hard this week between lifting, running and cross training, so tonight is a recovery night. Back at it tomorrow, hope the weather cooperates...I'm hearing bad things, though.

Welcome to the weekend!
  • SherryRH
    SherryRH Posts: 810 Member
    Options

Christine, I certainly know how you feel. I went to the sports medicine doctor today and got the final word. I have severe tendonitis in my shin. He suggested PT for 3-4 weeks and orthotics for my shoes. I have already been down 4 weeks from my ast run and was out another 5 weeks before that with a sprained ankle. If I can get this tendonitis under control I hope to be back with 5-6 weeks. I hope things go better for you. :flowerforyou:
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    Thanks Jess! :happy:
    You all have been so encouraging to me. I love reading your times, distances,etc! Very inspiring!

No prob!! Everyone here is great, very supportive! I love reading the distances and times myself!!

I ended up getting in a nice 31 mile hilly, very windy bike ride today!! I got some sun too, even with sunblock on!

Hope you all had a super Friday! :flowerforyou:
  • christine918
    Options
    Christine, I certainly know how you feel. I went to the sports medicine doctor today and got the final word. I have severe tendonitis in my shin. He suggested PT for 3-4 weeks and orthotics for my shoes. I have already been down 4 weeks from my ast run and was out another 5 weeks before that with a sprained ankle. If I can get this tendonitis under control I hope to be back with 5-6 weeks. I hope things go better for you.

Thanks! I hope you get to run again soon too!! I had shin splints when I ran cross country in high school. VERY painful! So take it easy! (If i could only take my own advice! lol)
  • SatelliteCrush80
    SatelliteCrush80 Posts: 3,575 Member
    Options
    Good Morning! :flowerforyou:

Just finished my long run for the week, and have officially graduated the "One Hour Runner" program! I did 4.8 miles (twice around the loop at the nearby park) miles in 1 hour and 2 minutes. I think my plan of attack is going to be keeping my long run at that point so I can get more used to it, but increase the distance of one of my shorter runs each week. I can't believe I ran almost 5 miles...I'm pretty pleased with myself considering that I only started running in March.

I hope all of you with injuries heal quickly and fully so you can get back out there...I can imagine how you must miss it.

Good luck to everyone with races this weekend!

Happy Running!