Is anyone finding it hard to eat all the daily calories?

Options

Replies

• happyhiram
    Options
    Funny timing that these posts come up at the same time this thread resurfaces:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/238941-sick-of-it

But I think that's enough bashing for one day. We all make mistakes, hopefully a lesson has been learned and she is better for it. Afterall the last thing we want to do is ridicule a person to the point of driving them away from the community, particularly when they obviously still have so much to learn. :flowerforyou:

Excellent point. I'll behave now. :happy:

Good job team. I'd shake your guy's hands but sadly that's not possible.

I will however tip my imaginary hat to the two of you.
  • seraphh
    Options
    Consider the amount of calories listed at the start of the day as a maximum. Don't eat your exercise calories unless you're maintaining, and don't eat just because you have calories left. Only you know what your body wants. Not some equation.
  • ishallnotwant
    ishallnotwant Posts: 1,210 Member
    Options
    . Don't eat your exercise calories unless you're maintaining,

Whut. :huh:
  • jessicabass1
    Options
    omg, i know exactly what you mean! i never am able to eat all my daily cals. especially if i fill in my food intake first. i am on a serious diet that i put myself on and i take in wwaaaaayyyy less than half of what i am supposed to. my hubby laughs and says "it's time to pi$$ off you fitness pal" every time i get on line! lol
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    headdesk-2-150x150.jpg

Even babies are feeling the need to headdesk on this one...
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Well, my boyfriend used to be a personal trainer and I asked him about this and he said it was ridiculous to eat the calories you lose because it would defeat the purpose. And I agree. This thing of mfp giving you extra calories when you burn them is just weird. Think about it - why would you try and burn all of these calories to then get them back? Doesn't make much sense, does it?

So ask your boyfriend, and you can think about this first.

You eat 1200 calories, or as OP and others are stating, can't even reach that. Say 1000. Day after day just used to that.

You exercise an accurate estimated 600 calories of something every day, because you really want to lose weight.

Please ask your ex-personal trainer what you end up with?
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Only you know what your body wants. Not some equation.

And for far too long the majority on MFP at some time in the past, or actually for many times in the past - listened to exactly what their body wanted.

And now they are here at another attempt to lose weight.

Pretty sounding principle,
    but very detrimental.
  • maryjay51
    Options
    everyone is different ..listen to your body. if it seems like too many then dont eat them all.. i typically eat 1200-1400 a day ..if i need more for some reason then its there. six times a day with healthy meals for me is plenty..on occasion i need more of something because i probably worked out like a dog that day so then i will have something... i hardly ever eat all them extra calories though. its way too much for me
  • AmyImafidon
    AmyImafidon Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm listening to those who have lost the weight. :) I wish I'd found this site sooner. Who knew you could eat and lose weight. Working out like crazy and not eating helps you lose weight = worst dieting myth ever.
  • tanyathanson
    Options
    I agree! If you want to increase your losing - don't eat them. If it's a birthday, wine day, or Tuesday and you want to - EAT THEM! :-) Either way you won't gain - and will likely lose because your calorie goal is set with losing in mind already. Do what you wanna do girl! GO GET IT! Good Luck!
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Well, my boyfriend used to be a personal trainer and I asked him about this and he said it was ridiculous to eat the calories you lose because it would defeat the purpose. And I agree. This thing of mfp giving you extra calories when you burn them is just weird. Think about it - why would you try and burn all of these calories to then get them back? Doesn't make much sense, does it?

So far the person who wrote this seems to be the only one who knows what they are talking about. It is common sense pretty much.

It really irritates me when people spout off crap as fact, and abuse others in the process. YOU are wrong, ML is completely correct. Perhaps if you spent a little less time judging others and spouting nonsense, and a little more time listening and learning, you would have more success.

You would do well to heed the advice of one of my favourite quotes:
    'You have one mouth and two ears, use them in proportion'

But she is very knowledgeable about this stuff...I mean, she's lost FIVE pounds...since November 2010.
    Folks, MFP has this site set up with certain recommendations that equal sure, safe and healthy weight loss.
    Beware the voices of ranker and negativity.

They will drag us down as well if we allow it.
  • MaximalLife
    Options

But I think that's enough bashing for one day. We all make mistakes, hopefully a lesson has been learned and she is better for it. Afterall the last thing we want to do is ridicule a person to the point of driving them away from the community, particularly when they obviously still have so much to learn. :flowerforyou:
    People in glass houses should not throw stones....
  • MaximalLife
    Options
    Consider the amount of calories listed at the start of the day as a maximum. Don't eat your exercise calories unless you're maintaining, and don't eat just because you have calories left. Only you know what your body wants. Not some equation.
    No, that's what got us all fat, and that's what will make us all failures.
    How about just follow the MFP recommendations?
    None of us are here because of our grand success in losing weight some other way.
    But if you've got a better way, write a book...start an alternative community...:laugh:
  • tyso_kitten
    Options
    I have a trainer that assists me with tips and he said you should never go more than four hours without munching - nothing much just something to keep the metabolism ticking over. I must admit the best thing to come out of using my fitness pal is my whole change of eating, not dieting. Fingers crossed the weight will continue to fall away
  • saritaeliz86
    saritaeliz86 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    WOW---tons of bashing and support.. LOL. Okay. I did end up eating a bowl of chili and eat another 400. I guess it depends on what I'm eating I might want to try more protein. Glad to see it got people thinking.. Thanks for all you answers! I will consider all points but as for now I will try to eat them if I can. :)
  • njmp
    njmp Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Okay...but keep in mind MFP already has you on a calorie deficit before you even get "extra" calories. You burn a certain amount of calories just by existing. And more by everyday activity. So when you burn calories exercising, you're burning over and above the calorie deficit MFP has set for you to lose weight. IMO, perfectly reasonable to eat those calories!
  • ladykate7
    ladykate7 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I'm torn about the eating back the exercise calories too. I figure I'm fine if I'm getting 1500- 1700 a day. If I don't feel hungry for more than I don't eat what I "earned". But if i'm dogging it (and being "good" about my nutrition choice) then I'll have 2 pieces of toast with 2 tbsp peanut butter. My fav snack. It gives carbs, protein & fat and is probably around 400 cals.

I don't discredit MFP recommendations being based on sound principles. But trying to get the healthiest body you can doesn't seem to happen by following standard/ average recommendations.
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options

People in glass houses should not throw stones....
    Was that directed at me??
  • flea
    flea Posts: 56 Member
    Options
  • donutslayer541
    Options
    I do on my exercise days. For example Im on a 1220 cal a day plan. without exercise, that is easy to use up by dinner. Today I did some cardio giving myself 400 extra calories, now dinner is done and i had a snack and a fun size nestle crunch and still have 520 cal left over. I am not hungry but I am afraid Im putting my body in starve mode if I dont try and fill the gap. Its hard to wrap my mind around having to find something to eat when I thought it would be hard to cut back over eating.

glad to see Im not the only once scratching my head at this.

i am eating too, hmm maybe I can stand to indulge a little more on my workout days. I do notice I am keeping my carbs on the low end trying to keep diabetes in check.