Husband isn't supportive

Options

Replies

• robinogue
    robinogue Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    My husband isn't on this journey with me either. At first he didn't like the idea of me working out, changing my eating habits. Store trips are his and her's I buy healthier items for me and he buys his junk food and sweets. This is a journey we choose, they didn't so because you're ready for a change you cannot expect them to change because we want to. He will eventually, in time start cutting back on certain things, eating different healtier items and he may not. Either way don't let that stop you.
  • teresaj0315
    teresaj0315 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I agree to LEAD BY EXAMPLE ~ just doing it for yourself and no one else is rewarding enough. You'll outlive him ~ be sure he has lots of insurance!!! LOL
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    You can't make him want to take care of himself. Just be the best you can be, and work on the marriage until you decide you can't any more.
  • zenchild
    zenchild Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Who is doing the cooking? If you are going the cooking, don't cook the unhealthy stuff. Make a menu that has all the meals you'll make that week and the ingredients you need. Get what's on the list. If he puts something else on the list, take it back out and tell him it's not on the menu and you're not cooking it. Give him a meal a week that he gets to pick and just watch your portion size for that one. You'll save money by not buying outside the list. And it's easier to decide what to have for dinner.
    As far as exercise, is there something he likes to do? My husband won't go for a walk around the neighborhood with me. He loves hiking so we do that on the weekend. We also got an Xbox Kinect and it's great. You can actually work up a good sweat with some of the games. And it's fun.
  • HeaderAutumn
    HeaderAutumn Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    My parents have the same problem. My mom calls it "The Fat Wars." My dad makes greenbeans for my mother and will tell her they are green beans and water, while they practically glitter with bacon grease. My husband was the same way so I would make my meals and then on his stuff add cheese. The more I talked to him about eating better or even taking the dogs for walks with me, the worse his eating habits were. But then of course his work is now having a weight loss contest so his attitude has changed!! What an annoying man. :heart: Don't preach to him about health. He probably is feeling judged so just let him figure it out on his own. If he sabbatoges you like my dad would do to my mom, tell him you respect his habits so he should respect yours.
  • Legalchica
    Options
    Hey everyone. Hate to start out with such a bummer topic, but this has been bothering me for awhile and am hoping to get some advice, or at least know I am not alone.

In my attempt at getting in shape, and trying to eat better and healthier, so far I am doing pretty well. However, my husband is a little less enthusiastic about my efforts and is not at all concerned about his health or his diet. Anytime I mention we should eat better, or he should go walking or running with me it always turns into a fight.

Grocery shopping is also a fight. As I'm loading up the cart with fresh fruit and veggies, meats etc, he is loading it with chips, hamburger helper, mac and cheese..well you get my point.

I'm tired of fighting with him, but it kills me to see him not care at all about his health or appearance. HELP!

:( I'm sorry... seems like we are married to the same man. I don't have any advice but I do sympathize!!
  • For_the_Last_Time
    For_the_Last_Time Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I also have to add it doesn't sound from what you said that he isn't supportive just that he doesn't want to do it with you.

Not supportive would be if he was telling you that you can't do it, you are just going to gain all the weight back, things like that.
  • cheercoach11
    cheercoach11 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    You are not alone. My boyfriend is not only unsupportive, he refuses to acknowledge the change in my body. I could get 10 compliments on my weight loss in a week and not one of them will be from him. Sometimes, I even feel as though he is trying to sabatoge my efforts. Last week, he brought home pizza and wings one night, and chinese food another night. These are two of my weaknesses and it seemed as though he was angry that I didn't falter and stuck to my healthy meal I had planned.

I had to come to the realization that I am doing this for me, and I have put others ahead of me for YEARS. Now it's time to put my needs and wants first, and I dont think he likes it. Thanks to the support I've found on MFP, I am succeeding in MY journey, for MY health and well being. It's hard, but if he isn't supportive, you have to find support somewhere else. Good Luck to you on your journey!
  • teeley
    teeley Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    My husband made it clear that he was not changing his eating just because I was, that is fine with me...I don't ask him to come on walks/ runs it is not his thing, why ask him to if I know he will not want to....

That was a year ago....more recently he made the choice to stop buying so much junk, there have been days I crave McDonalds...HE says "lets do subway instead".....just before winter him and I packed up our car and two kids and went for a hike in the mountains....

Let him come around, and if he doesn't then just keep doing what you are doing...if he buys junk just don't eat it...and if you do don't beat yourself up...we do still get junk and I still eat it...just less...sometimes....

all that being said....he loves to hear how much I have lost, and makes me feel good all the time....he is very supportive, just not willing to change himself
  • Brandongood
    Brandongood Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Lead by example thats all you can do.
  • briocktj
    briocktj Posts: 128
    Options
    My hubby is very supportive, BUT, he is also an enabler. I will say DO NOT buy me candy if I ask for it and then a couple days later he will be going out and I will say get me some M and Ms and he will say NO, but then he comes home with them....
  • jcdiris
    Options
    I agree with everyone, if he's going to do it, it'll be because he wants to. Meanwhile, do some grocery shopping on your own. Make mac and cheese with some low-fat cheese and wheat pasta. Make little substitutions here and there without him knowing. Also, just start going for walks by yourself, or find a friend you can go with. It sounds like he's feels you're not happy with the way he looks and are trying to change him. If that's the case, any guy would balk at that.
  • Mrsairforce
    Options
    My husband is extremely supportive because he wants me to succeed. While he still eats Oatmeal creme pies like I've never seen, he doesn't push them on me or get angry when I drive across town to the Whole Foods and spend forever in there. If your husband really doesn't want to support you, ignore his bickering. Stay positive for yourself and lead by example. He will see that you are no longer indulging his in arguments and he will start to come around.
  • mohanj
    mohanj Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    My husband was the same way. For decades I fought with him to get regular exercise and better nutrition. He is a good cook and that did not help much. He did not care even though he is diabetic. Suddenly 2 years back, he started falling while walking with out any reason. He hit is highest weight and was unhealthy. Suddenly, one day after work when he was on business trip he watched an hour show with managing diabetics with low glycemic index foods. Suddenly something changed in him and he got hooked to the information. He started exercise and having a low carb diet and lost about 50 pounds in less than an year. His medication dosage has come down and hasn't fallen even once. Now he encourages me and very supportive of my weight loss journey. Now he is an inspiration for me, my family and friends. What I learnt is you cannot force anyone but it has to come from with in. Hopefully your husband does not wait until he gets his wake up call. Good luck.
  • kealey1318
    kealey1318 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    He will have to want to do it for himself just as you decided for yourself it was time to change. Don't badger him. Just keep setting a good example of positive change. As he sees how much better you feel, he may come around.

I agree with this! You can't do it (or want it) for him... The only thing within your control is YOU! Continue to do the right things and I think you'll be surprised that as he see's your results, he will most likely want some of his own. Also, know that there are a variety of reasons for why spouses, family, friends can be the worst sabateours... Stick to your guns and take care of YOU! Best wishes!!! :flowerforyou:
  • Oslobluesky
    Options
    I am about 400 pounds, had a pulmonary embolism last year, though other stuff seems to be okay. I've always struggled to find diet food I can enjoy.

I decided to figure out how to create a meal I enjoy eating, that is full of nutrients, and that leaves me filling full. Usually that amounts to a kind of bowl filled with some combination of tomatoes, chicken or fish, sweet potato, and so on. Usually it takes the form of a stir fry (in water or olive oil) or almost thick soup in consistency. One bowl usually does it. Siracha, cream cheese, or peanut butter can be added in very small amounts for thickening.

Thus, for your husband and your problem, I would suggest NOT trying to get him to eat what you eat, but finding a way to make what he enjoys eating, but in a modified low calorie way. Take his data-(weight, height, activity level)- and get his RMR (resting metabolic rate), and then calculate how to do tasty meals that hit under that number. Don't force the veggies or typical diet foods. Just subtly introduce high vitamin foods into his favorite foods, and modified so that the totals come in under the rate that his body would burn calories (at rest). (Oh, and when calculating BMR or RMR, don't factor in any activity).

In the end he may not even notice why weight is dropping off until you convey to him why. Of course this only works to the extent you are making his food. If he is buying fast food, then he is probably sunk for the day. You might approach that from a "saving cash" angle. Encourage him to save money for what he, or both of you, might want to do. So instead of him not buying fast food for weight or diet purposes, you avoid fast food for "savings" purposes... to take that vacation or buy that new computer he wants.

You combine that with favorite food modification and it might work. So for example, instead of saying, "Fried chicken is bad for you, eat tofu spinach salad with me," you say, "Okay, I will make fried chicken". Then get boneless, skinless, and fry it in the best possible oil. The goal here, is to make all his meals for the day come in under his RMR number, not so much to correct the wrong food patterns.... yet. Eventually you will evolve him away from fried foods, low nutrient foods, bad carbs. But focus first on overall weight loss.

Over time, this might work. Or not. Given my weight I am the last one to give advice. However, it's the method I am trying to consistently apply to myself, while trying to introduce healthier snacks like popcorn, pickles, yogurt, a few nuts, etc.
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Lead by example!

You can't make him go on this journey with you if he doesn't want to. That should be his decision. Maybe if you stop trying to get him to go along and do it just for you, he'll see the benefits and want to join later.

I'm not married, but that's just my 2 cents.
    Great advice. Make healthy choices for yourself. As you begin to change - physically and emotionally - your partner is likely to take notice. Let your success be motivation. Nagging/chiding/shaming someone into health rarely works. Demonstrate the payoff.
  • CreepyOne
    CreepyOne Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    put him up for sale :)
  • ThePinkPachyderm
    Options
    The fact is, most humans are stubborn, and dislike change. Eating poorly and not working out is significantly more enjoyable than eating clean foods and spending your free time exercising. So unless someone truly wants to make those lifestyle changes for themselves, then there is really nothing you can do to sway them.

What I do know is that often times our pride can override our stubbornness. My wife gets motivated in spurts, and when she is not motivated I have tried every psychological trick in my arsenal to get her on board. What I have found is that the only thing that really gets her motivated to join me is when she sees me busting my *kitten* working out an hour a night, getting fit and trim, and she feels like she is being left behind. She needs to come to the conclusion on her own, but seeing the results of my hard work is sometimes enough to motivate her.
  • Legalchica
    Options
    put him up for sale :)

^^^THIS