Never realized how many Calories...

Options

Replies

• brookase
    Options
    I loved to eat trail mix with the m&m's in it, i would eat the whole bag in one sitting, 840 calories, and i thought nuts were good for you???
  • Mnata
    Mnata Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Good/healthy does not automatically mean low calorie. However, things like nuts have a lot of nutrients in addition to the calories, along with fiber and protein which helps keep you full.
  • lotte24601
    lotte24601 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Una Mas Steak Nachos. Not that I ever thought they were healthy, but they were my not-as-bad-as-it-could-be hockey watching treat.
    1545 calories (and 94 grams of fat)? Turns out they were, actually, as bad as they could be.

I'm not gonna pretend I haven't touched 'em since, but now I take a friend (or three) with me and we share an order.
  • Sister_Someone
    Sister_Someone Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    The healthy stuff -fruit, nuts, trail mix, peanut butter, honey- and Starbucks! I'd eat up to 2000 extra calories, atop from what I needed, just because I had no idea that the healthy stuff had a portion size too. Who seriously expects to find something healthy and/or low in calories at a McDonalds? However, to this day my parents still firmly believe that if something is healthy, there's no such thing as too much of it.
    The curious thing is that I managed to be in the lower healthy weight range with that diet up until I had my thyroid out.

After joining MFP, I gave up on nuts and trail mix completely because there's just no way on earth I can stop at a 1/4 cup and on honey because I can't justify wasting so many calories on something I don't even get to chew. Starbucks, however, I refuse to give up. I now customize my orders to make it lower in calories, but I don't think I could stick to everything else if I didn't have my one treat in a day.
  • sjv1966
    sjv1966 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Bagel and cream cheese from Cosi - 560 calories. I used to get those as a mid morning "snack" all the time.

Also bread in general. I now eat this really good low cal, high fiber bread that is locally made and it is only 45 calories a slice. However the other day I was looking at some of the other bread in the store and there was a bag of Labriola pretzel hamburger buns and they were 320 calories each! I can't imagine the calories in a hamburger when the bun by itself is 320. Needless to say I did not buy them. It made me really wonder about the many times I have gotten sandwiches at restaurants that were made on pretzel bread ... !

And yeah, the whole sandwich-and-fries combo. You can have a sandwich. Or fries. But both -- no way. Not unless you do a ton of cardio or have very small meals the rest of the day. And that was something I would order without even thinking about it.

And nuts! Six honey roasted almonds is a serving? I know they are good for you but wow ... six.
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    I have a confession......I've never tasted an oreo...............
  • twoscimitars
    twoscimitars Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Fancy coffee drink. You can cram a lot of calories in those lol

Amen! I switched to the skinny or lite or nonfat versions. (depends where you go...) They taste just as goo, they kill my craving, and they're only 100-150 cals. I can usually exercise that off pretty quick.

Fast food was my downfall, though. I could eat 2 or 3 McDouble's, a large fry and a soda... Now, that's my whole day's worth of calories - and I'd have it in one sitting!!
  • RoboLikes
    RoboLikes Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter. Sounds dumb but I didn't think it was THAT bad.

Yes! I would get the low fat, chunky kind and have a spoonful here and there during a day - it adds up to waaay more calories and fat than i would have ever guessed. cant keep it in the apartment anymore
  • Sister_Someone
    Sister_Someone Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    And nuts! Six honey roasted almonds is a serving? I know they are good for you but wow ... six.

This is what I'm talking about! I'd easily go through an entire 200g bag in front of the TV in the evening!
  • positivelylisa
    positivelylisa Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Nuts are my downfall. A few weekends ago, I bought a can of mixed nuts thinking I could do servings sizes. Ate the whole can in a weekend. Thankfully it was the small can, 10 servings at 170 cals each. I'm sure the fate of the large can would have been the same. But they taste SO good!! Had a gain that week! LOL
  • happymiche
    happymiche Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Whole pint of Ben & Jerry's ice cream: at least 350 calories per serving X 4 servings per pint =1400!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Mommawarrior
    Mommawarrior Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    Mayo.
    I stopped eating mayo, and condiments in general except salad dressing when I added up the calories I ate in mayo alone in 1 week. I ate 1250 calories in mayo in one week and that was after I started measuring how much I put on a sandwich. I can't imagine how much I would eat in a week before I started measuring.
  • juliekaiser1988
    juliekaiser1988 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    All of it. My portion distortion was so out of control!! Which is why I ended up weighing 278...

Now, even though my husband chuckles at me, I weight/ count everything I eat. I know what a real portion size it almost to the gram by eyeballing it. And believe me- a serving size is really, really small- regardless of what it is.

I find if my hubby packs my work meals for me, he just tosses a handful of this or that into the baggie. Which is bad. Because I will eat it all. So it's best that I pack my own meals. He means well, just doesn't realize portion distortion like I do!!
  • Janice032557
    Janice032557 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Girl Scout Cookies.....2 Caramel Delights are 140 calories....on the flight to Basic Training I ate two whole boxes.... :-D
    That was probably nerves...and you most likely dropped that and alot more the first week of Basic. God bless you!
  • sbarbie50
    Options
    I would just eat too much of everything. I love salad and would eat healthy, but never really thought about how terrible some stuff I put in was. Cheese and meat/tuna, croutons and the DRESSING. Oh, the dressing. Now I just have veggies in it, 1 serving of croutons and I add meat or tuna according to serving sizes. And it can still be a 400calorie salad, but at least its healthy calories. Fast food chains make it seem like their salads are healthy, and they are, if you just have the lettuce! Some of their add-ons are more than a big mac or whopper!
  • mrssmith636
    mrssmith636 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Beef nacho salad loaded with cheese, sour cream, refried beans, ground beef (over 1000 calories). Hell, I thought if it was a salad, I was eating healthy.
  • shabounds
    Options
    Honestly the most shocking was how many of the SALADS I eat are in the 1200 calorie range! Ugh, that is just WRONG.
  • Selyan
    Selyan Posts: 51
    Options
    Bread, buns, cake ... all that kind of things.

And I used to belive this one ice coffee was healthy because it tasted more coffee and less sweet than the others. Found out it had almost three times more calories than the one who tasted less healthy :C
  • notsochunkeymonkey
    Options
    Einstein Bros Southwest Turkey-Sausage Panini

Calories 530
    Calories from Fat 190
    % Daily Value*
    Total Fat 21g 32%
    Saturated Fat 8g 40%
    Trans Fat 0g
    Cholesterol 415mg 138%
    Sodium 1150mg 48%
    Total Carbohydrates 48g 16%
    Dietary Fiber 4g 16%
    Sugars 4g
    Protein 34g 49%

Jut look at the Saturated fat, Cholesterol and Sodium in that bad boy!

Not quite what I'd call "good for you". lolz
  • kimmianne89
    kimmianne89 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    PIZZA! when I was much younger id eat a oven cooked pizza thinking it was just bread with topppings then saw it was 500 calories for HALF of the pizza and id eat a whole one!! this was like 6 years ago now haha