Spicy Black Bean Soup

Options
Jenny_MSW
Jenny_MSW Posts: 109 Member
I did weightwatchers after I had my twins a few years ago, and this is the best recipe I tried of theirs. I still make it all the time for my husband and I. The 1 1/2 cup portion is huge, and comes out to be about 165 calories, 35g carbs, 1g fat, 11g protein, 9g fiber, and 3g sugar. It is soooo good and filling, and if you have some extra calories to use, its great with a little light sour cream and reduced fat cheese thrown in and chips on the side, not that I'd ever do that ;)

Ingredients:

1 spray(s) cooking spray
1 medium uncooked onion, finely chopped
4 clove(s) garlic clove(s), minced
45 oz canned black beans, undrained, divided (three 15 oz cans)
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes, or to taste
1 tsp ground cumin
14 1/2 oz fat-free chicken broth, or vegetable broth
10 oz canned tomatoes with green chilis, such as Rotel Tomatoes
11 oz canned yellow corn, drained
( I just use frozen corn instead of canned)

Instructions:
Coat bottom of a large stockpot with cooking spray. Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring frequently, until onions are soft but not brown, about 5 minutes.

Place one can of beans in blender; add sautéed onion mixture, red pepper flakes and cumin. Cover and blend on high until smooth, about 30 seconds. Pour mixture back into stockpot.

Place second can of beans and broth in blender and puree until smooth; add to stockpot.

Stir third can of beans (do not puree first), tomatoes and green chilies, and corn into stockpot. Bring to a boil, lower heat to medium and simmer for 20 to 25 minutes. Yields about 1 1/2 cups of soup per serving.

Replies