Do you have a gym nemesis?

Options
mruntidy
mruntidy Posts: 1,015 Member
Family Guys about to start n i wondered if any of you had a gym nemesis, i have a couple, cant put my finger on why but whenever they are there i seem to work harder and we both have that 'i hate you' glance.....

maybe its just me :huh:

Replies

• MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    No, as with all things, I am my own worse enemy.....
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    Family Guys about to start n i wondered if any of you had a gym nemesis, i have a couple, cant put my finger on why but whenever they are there i seem to work harder and we both have that 'i hate you' glance.....

maybe its just me :huh:

lol I don't make direct eye contact. I try my best not to recognize anyone because then I have to stop and talk and ask how they're doing, blah blah blah. I got sucked in at my last gym by accident, and the woman wouldn't leave me alone. So now I just keep my head down and bust my *kitten* and get out. But at least you have motivation to work harder lol
  • emmamcblain
    Options
    I actually do! This woman just looks at me as if I have some sort of nerve to be on any of the machines. It's really funny actually.
  • calana
    calana Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    There's this one woman who is in her early 60s I'd say. At my gym there are fans around the cardio area and if nobody is using one, you can go grab one and plug it in in front or behind of your machine so you have the cool air blowing on you. It's really nice and I enjoy that they have that option.

Anyways, this SAME lady has come up to my machine, given me a dirty look and then UNPLUGGED my fan and taken it away to her machine. This has happened at least 3 or 4 times.

I'm not a confrontational person so I haven't said anything but if she does it again I might have to.
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Besides the stinky old man who bites his nails, stares at every, single woman and never wipes the equipment, I can't think of anyone.
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options

ditto x10
  • DisneySkaGirl
    Options
    There's this one woman who is in her early 60s I'd say. At my gym there are fans around the cardio area and if nobody is using one, you can go grab one and plug it in in front or behind of your machine so you have the cool air blowing on you. It's really nice and I enjoy that they have that option.

Anyways, this SAME lady has come up to my machine, given me a dirty look and then UNPLUGGED my fan and taken it away to her machine. This has happened at least 3 or 4 times.

I'm not a confrontational person so I haven't said anything but if she does it again I might have to.

You're kidding!!! That is so incredibly rude of her!
  • clnoe1
    clnoe1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    That is crazy about the fan, def say something, what is she gonna do? I used to go to kickboxing class and there was this one girl who seemed to compete with me, so I used to work harder and kick higher, it might have been in my head but I was pretty convinced!lol
  • JHB2011
    JHB2011 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    When I'm at the gym, there's a woman, probably at least 10 years older then me, who STARES at me the entire time. If she's not staring directly at me, she's staring at my reflection in the glass. And it's not a nice stare either!

At first I was like "no way b*tch, stop staring at me!" but now I'm like "wellllll I'm awesome and she just wants to be me"
    Then my head gets so big I can't fit out the door..
  • kaetmarie
    kaetmarie Posts: 668 Member
    Options

Yeah that *kitten* in the mirror in front of my treadmill has SOME nerve!!
  • CalJur
    CalJur Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    None. I've made an incredible amount of friends at the gym. You know who the regulars are and those who go hard. It is nothing but mutual respect and nods of the head as I'm not there to socialize but I will acknowledge them. Moreover, I've caught folks many times trying to catch the numbers on the machines I'm working out on and often imitating my workouts. Nothing but love at the gym.
  • angel79202
    angel79202 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Maybe the crazy carrot man with his magical box of carrots and special bandanna he wears everyday..or the elderly man who wears headphones with nothing attached to them..and glares at anyone on "his" bike..
  • artemis222
    artemis222 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I do. She's a middle-aged couger. Fake tan, hair dyed blackest black, and always at the spinning class. She's the reason I don't go to spinning. She makes my blood boil and we haven't said more than 2 sentences to each other. She's the only person I've ever had around me that I just INSTANTLY disliked. Anyways, she always makes me want to do better than her.
  • judypriv
    judypriv Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    There is a girl in our zumba class in very good shape. She tales 2 classes of something a day! Anyway, she does all the zumba moves and has high energy but she gives all the fat people like me nasty looks. She got really mad today since the instructor said I didn't have the moves down but my technique was flawless (I used to dance for about 20 years) and she has no technique. She's a pretty poor dancer but we're there to exercise not be competing but she treats us all like a competition! Scarey!
  • junglejd13
    junglejd13 Posts: 55 Member
    Options

HAAH OMG that is kind of hilarious, you should go unplug the fan from her!

One time I was at machines with a friend and we put our waterbottles and ipods on the machine and went for a quick stretch on the mats, I looked over and noticed this dude bout 60 on my machine. We walked over, he had taken my ipod, waterbottle, and towel off the machine and placed it on the floor. My friend and I told him that we were using the machines and asked him if he could use a different one that was available. The gym wasn't very crowded, or else I would not put my stuff on the machine and just expect people to not get angered. So he refused to get off and we had to get the 18 year old kid at the desk to ask him to get off, and he did, whilst he yelled at my friend. I didn't want to have a gym enemy since I see this guy all the time so afterward I walked over to him and told him I appreciated him relocating and apologized for leaving my stuff on the machine while not using it. He touched my arm and thanked me for being so kind and apologized. So I guess the lesson is that people are revved up sometimes about life and a little understanding goes a long way.

My NEW nemesis is this lady in her late 40s early 50s that told me the lesmills cxworx class was really really hard after she looked me up and down. I thought to myself "yeah I'm fat but I'm strong and athletic and motivated," it's cool cause I've hear her talking trash about other people like she is a 15 year old high school girl, while I'm focusing on ME and busting my *kitten* to get in shape. Hope shes still at the gym in 1 mo, 2 mo, 1 year, however long it takes for me to get to my goal weight and body fat so I can see the look on her face while I'm hot and she still has ugly "mom hair"
  • CSummers316
    Options
    No nemesis, but there are a couple of annoying weirdos who just need to be slapped.
  • Cassi_Eats_Apples
    Options
    My gym nemesis is this one skinny little thing that always smirks and gives me dirty looks.
    Especially when I'm on the arc trainer, she always make it a point to be right beside me and she smirks about going way faster then I do on it.
    The thing is though, I set mine on the highest incline and 80 out of 100 resistance.
    Of course she can go faster on 0 incline with like 5 resistance.

Check the cals burned, mine are always substantially higher just saying.
  • junglejd13
    junglejd13 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Maybe the crazy carrot man with his magical box of carrots and special bandanna he wears everyday..or the elderly man who wears headphones with nothing attached to them..and glares at anyone on "his" bike..

OMG does your gym offer discounts to mentally disturbed people. I want to workout at this place, sounds hilarious. THIS by the way made me laugh out loud!
  • DakotaKeogh
    DakotaKeogh Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Yes! This guy that carries a book with him and takes like 5 minute reading breaks between sets. Once he's on that circuit machine, forget about getting to it any time soon.
  • crimsontech
    crimsontech Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    When I saw the title of this thread, I thought you were talking about a machine/exercise. Mine is the overhead press. It takes me weeks to be able to bump the weight up 5 lbs!

But, in keeping with the threads, there's these two guys who love to sit on equipment I'm waiting to use and playing with their phones.