Does black caffeinated coffee count as daily water

Options

Replies

• ASPhantom
    ASPhantom Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    Personally I only log water as water. If I drink anything else, I log it as such.

Water=Water
  • AmberJslimsAWAY
    AmberJslimsAWAY Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    I was told by my Doctor that any drink such as coffee, tea and/or sodas count as water.

Your doctor told you soda counts as water? Really?

Yea, I'm confused by this as well. I don't see how a medical professional would say that a beverage that is pure sugar and chemicals could count as water?

Because a doctor is looking at it from a "dehydrated state" Yes sodas , filled with chemicals and sugar, can rehydrate in a proper amount. along with the chemicals and sugars it also has water in it. Thus it would rehydrate a person, if that is all one had to drink. Water is better, but soda {in the absence of other choices} would rehydrate also.
    Which is exaclty why the stores of full of such drinks. Isotonic sodas, and balance rehydrate drinks etc etc...full of sugar and other chemicals. Still water based and still count as fluids.

Yes because when you are sick, your doctor tells you to drink brown fluids, not clear ones. It's totally the same thing. :huh:
  • enigrebua
    enigrebua Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Liquid is liquid, it hydrates you either way. So yes, if you'd rather drink coffee than water, drink coffee :) I personally drink a lot of juice and milk for my liquid intake.
  • dane11235813
    dane11235813 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Honestly... why even tell people to drink water then? If you are going to tell people that everything they eat and drink counts as water, then why even bother to suggest it. Because obviously, if it were enough, then people everywhere would be hydrated, when statistically most people are dehydrated. You can count whatever you want as water... then don't bother to count water at all... but you won't be doing your body any favors.
  • rainunrefined
    rainunrefined Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Typically, anything with caffeine in it is likely to dehydrate you, and to drink equal amounts of water.

If I drink a caffeinated beverage then no I personally do not count it.
  • rainunrefined
    rainunrefined Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I was told by my Doctor that any drink such as coffee, tea and/or sodas count as water.

Yea, I'm confused by this as well. I don't see how a medical professional would say that a beverage that is pure sugar and chemicals could count as water?
    is it not made with water? Is the largest component not water? What is it then? Wood???

These drinks can count as a water intake.

This makes me laugh. Soda... is not water. It's liquid chemicals. If you're counting LIQUID then sure.. but water is water is waterrrrr... not soda.
  • phinners
    phinners Posts: 524 Member
    Options

Because a doctor is looking at it from a "dehydrated state" Yes sodas , filled with chemicals and sugar, can rehydrate in a proper amount. along with the chemicals and sugars it also has water in it. Thus it would rehydrate a person, if that is all one had to drink. Water is better, but soda {in the absence of other choices} would rehydrate also.
    Which is exaclty why the stores of full of such drinks. Isotonic sodas, and balance rehydrate drinks etc etc...full of sugar and other chemicals. Still water based and still count as fluids.

Yes because when you are sick, your doctor tells you to drink brown fluids, not clear ones. It's totally the same thing. :huh:
    Funny actually I spent the weekend in hospital with severe dehydration folling a stomach accident. The doctor said 'plenty of fluids - juice, tea, tap water, milk, whatever I can stomach'.

Fluids is the key word. Any colour you like.
  • angiemartin78
    angiemartin78 Posts: 475 Member
    Options

Thank you!
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    Honestly... why even tell people to drink water then? If you are going to tell people that everything they eat and drink counts as water, then why even bother to suggest it. Because obviously, if it were enough, then people everywhere would be hydrated, when statistically most people are dehydrated. You can count whatever you want as water... then don't bother to count water at all... but you won't be doing your body any favors.

What statistic is that?
  • JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    Your body is able to separate the water from anything that is dissolved in it. When you eat or drink anything it goes to your GI system and is digested and broken down into various nutrients and then absorbed in to the blood stream. The substances that are not absorbed (like fibre) exit through your bowels. Thus, the water that is in your coffee is absorbed into your bloodstream as water. There is not a separate tube system for "pure" water and another for coffee/tea/pop/juice etc. Therefore, all beverages containing water can count as water because that is how your body processes them.

Good Explanation.
  • phinners
    Options

is it not made with water? Is the largest component not water? What is it then? Wood???

These drinks can count as a water intake.

This makes me laugh. Soda... is not water. It's liquid chemicals. If you're counting LIQUID then sure.. but water is water is waterrrrr... not soda.
    I might well be thinking a different thing on Soda. Soda is is carbonated water - ie water with CO2. It's flavourless and yuk. But thats called 'soda water'.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    3cd8a33a.png?1306264975
    This. People don't seem to get that fluids other than water actually hydrate you. Plain water is not some miracle cure....but go on...I am too tired to fight about this and really...who cares.
  • phinners
    Options

What statistic is that?
    One out of the Daily Mail I suspect.
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    if it's caffeinated, it doesn't count as water. sorry.
  • sunnyday789
    sunnyday789 Posts: 309 Member
    Options

I don't tell people to drink water. In general, people are hydrated. Not sure where you get "statistically most people are dehydrated" I have read/heard that also but no data to support that.
    I don't know why people want to pee every hour. A waste of TP and water, not to mention the chemicals that are going in to the waterways to treat the sewage water everytime you flush.
  • tamheath
    tamheath Posts: 702 Member
    Options

Wow. My doctor's head would pop off if I told him soda counted as water. :embarassed:
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

I don't tell people to drink water. In general, people are hydrated. Not sure where you get "statistically most people are dehydrated" I have read/heard that also but no data to support that.
    I don't know why people want to pee every hour. A waste of TP and water, not to mention the chemicals that are going in to the waterways to treat the sewage water everytime you flush.

Before I started my lifestyle change, I drank 5 or 6 Dr Peppers a day, sometimes whole 2 liters by myself, and my doctors always said that I was dehydrated.
  • vweavers
    Options
    Consider this: You drink pure water while eating caramels. Once it's in your stomach- your body doesn't know whether you drank water+caramels or if you drank flat soda (soda=coloring, flavoring, sugar, water)!!!

So why WOULDN'T a soda be considered 'water' - at least in terms of daily water intake? Same goes for coffee, tea, etc.
    If you're counting calories, there is a difference, so should be entered as such- but if you're just measuring 'water' intake, yes it counts. No science needed. Just some common sense.
  • SteveHunt113
    SteveHunt113 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    I may be wrong, but I think "...statistically mot people are dehydrated." is not really a statistic at all. This is what I read when I did my research on the subject.

As I stated earlier, scientists are even questioning where this magic 8 cups a day came from. And they have argued that half of this 8 cups of water can come from the food we eat. You body is quiet remarkable at taking what we eat and breaking it down into what we need.

I'm of the theory that you should drink water if you are thirsty. Have you ever had a craving for salty food, or even for water? That's your body telling you what it currently needs.