eating your burned calorie! Really!

Options
I'm new to this site. HELLO EVERYONE!

Today I post my exercise and it gave me another 600 calories to eat before the day was out. That a woppin' 1850 calories for today. Will this work? They had me at a 1200 calories a day which I thought sounded right. So, what do you guys do? Do you eat those calories you burn when exercising? Do you think eating them will have a negative or positive effect on weight loss?

Thank you everyone

Replies

• LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I averaged around 1800 or more during my entire weight loss. It works. :flowerforyou:
  • maryjay51
    Options
    i eat 1200-1400 a day .. i work out a lot too but i do not eat all them extra calories because i dont feel its necessary.there are times i do need more because my body says so ..i listen to my body and give it what it needs if thats the case.
  • briggsy13
    briggsy13 Posts: 161 Member
    Options

Today I post my exercise and it gave me another 600 calories to eat before the day was out. That a woppin' 1850 calories for today. Will this work? They had me at a 1200 calories a day which I thought sounded right. So, what do you guys do? Do you eat those calories you burn when exercising? Do you think eating them will have a negative or positive effect on weight loss?

Thank you everyone

600 is a lot of calories. What did you do to earn that much. My only concern would be that you might not have really burned that many. I go back and forth with my treadmill vs MFP and not really knowing what's accurate. I tend to not eat all of the calories back for that very reason. I'm hoping to get a HRM so I can keep track better. :)
  • cerelac
    cerelac Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm new to this concept of eating your exercise calories. I thought that to lose weight it's all about calories in < calories out. If you're happy with your allotted calories for the day then why exercise, only to eat it all back- other than to tone up once the fat is out f the way? Obv it makes you feel better but from a pure 'weight loss' perspective, how/ why does this work?
  • kryptonitekelly
    kryptonitekelly Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    It depend
    If I am hungry and over 1200 with extra burned calories, I'll use up some of the calories burned.

However, I don't eat them if not hungry. Changes every day!
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    i've plateaued a few times, and each time what fixed it was eating more calories. it's true. you have to feed the machine, not eat less to lose weight - it's about eating the right stuff.

sw: 303.4 (1/1/11)
    cw: 200.2 --- lost 103.2lbs
    29y/o fem. 5'6''.
  • eacatterton
    eacatterton Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    My calories are set at 1380 + my exercise calories. Yes I eat mine. Most days all of them, sometimes maybe only half. Depends on how hungry I am. It is working for me. I have lost 2lbs a week so far since I started.
  • kryptonitekelly
    Options

Thank you everyone

600 is a lot of calories. What did you do to earn that much. My only concern would be that you might not have really burned that many. I go back and forth with my treadmill vs MFP and not really knowing what's accurate. I tend to not eat all of the calories back for that very reason. I'm hoping to get a HRM so I can keep track better. :)

I always deduct about 50 calories if from mfp or gym machines...makes it a bit more reliable. I only burn about 200-300 calories on work out days...about 100 on none work out days...or less!
  • chellygarcia
    Options
    ii SAY DON;T EAT all OF THEM BUT YOU CAN GO A bit over with the extra calories burned.. ALSO, I agree just listen to your body!
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    I do NOT eat my exercised calories back and it has worked for me-but.be prepared to be bashed by people who do-huge controversey here and they are not nice about it. Everyone else knows best! NOT.
  • Nana_Booboo
    Nana_Booboo Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I do eat my exercise calories and most of the time I pre eat them. I eat them before I plan exercising. I do a 2 hour class twice a week but I also have a HRM and I know exactly how many calories I burn personally. My body needs that fuel to do the workout.

This fuels your body and help build lean muscle to keep burning even after your work out.

Hope this helps.
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    Please take a few minutes to look around the site and familiarise yourself with the SEARCH function. This is a great place to start as there is a new thread on this same subject almost EVERY DAY.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I do NOT eat my exercised calories back and it has worked for me-but.be prepared to be bashed by people who do-huge controversey here and they are not nice about it. Everyone else knows best! NOT.
    MFP already puts you in a deficit. Any extra work you do, puts you in a deeper deficit. Being in a severe deficit hinders weight loss.

Good luck with your fitness goals in 2012.
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    best place to start is the NEWBIE posts on the general board, but here is some info

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/206951-asked-my-trainer-re-eating-back-calories
  • jeffp90x2cody
    Options
    It is not hard to burn 600 calories in 45 minutes of serious cardio. If you do not eat those calories your body will go into starvation mode and could potentially do damage. Remember it is not about losing the weight as fast as possible, but creating and then maintaining a lifelong change in the way you eat and exercise.
  • kryptonitekelly
    Options
    It is not hard to burn 600 calories in 45 minutes of serious cardio. If you do not eat those calories your body will go into starvation mode and could potentially do damage. Remember it is not about losing the weight as fast as possible, but creating and then maintaining a lifelong change in the way you eat and exercise.

yeah but you shouldnt eat unless you're hungry...you know when you're hungry...however a lot of people do fall into the trap of thinking they arent hungry but they are..
  • kryptonitekelly
    Options
    and it is hard to burn 600 ;)! for me anyways...1 hour at the gym and I only burn about 200...
  • runninghome
    runninghome Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I took an hour long step class on a 8in bench. It told me that was 685 calories burned.
  • AZDizzy
    AZDizzy Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I eat a little more than half of mine back personally. I do this to account for any inaccuracies in my food logging or my fitbit/hrm burn estimates.

Sometimes, I eat all of them!
  • monicalynne68
    monicalynne68 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I try to stay between 1200-1400 a day not matter how much exercise I get in that day. I do go over occasionally but I don't fret it because of the exercise and I don't do it often. I don't believe in eating your exercise calories for 2 reasons. One, I think MFP overestimates the burned calorie amounts. Two, if you are trying to lose weight, you'll be much more successful if you follow actual calories rather than "net" calories. The only time you should be eating your exercise calories is if you have moved on to the maintenance mode of your program