what are people's thoughts about the paleo diet

Options

Replies

• bluebird321
    bluebird321 Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I've been doing Paleo for almost a year and it has worked out well for me. I reserve the right to change it when it stops working, but right now it's not too hard to maintain.
  • ganesha303
    ganesha303 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Welcome to one of the most debated topics currently on MFP :)

I changed from a more pure Calories in Calories Out view to a Primal Lifestyle. Primal is similar to Paleo though less restrictive (dairy and alcohol in moderation for instance) and also more holistic. More info here:
    http://marksdailyapple.com/

I have had amazing results in weight loss, muscle gains, and overall health since making this change regardless of what naysayers might have to say about it. Proof is in the pudding for me and that is all that matters.

If you are giving it due consideration, I suggest trying it for a few weeks to see what results you get and how you feel.
  • AmandaBroun
    Options

If a paleo diet makes someone happy, then what's the big deal?

I find it MORE extreme to measure every single food you eat for calorie content. That is ridiculous to me!

I gotta agree with this. I tried it for a while, felt great, and really didn't miss eating any of the off-limits foods. I found it to be inconvenient, and I did miss hobby baking, though, so it's not really for me. I have friends who have made it a lifestyle, love it, and still love food, cooking and trying new meals.

If it sounds like something you would enjoy, give it a try. If you think "oh, god, I couldn't possibly eat like that", don't. I don't understand getting riled up on either side of the arguement.
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    People on this board continuously try to say that sugar and refined carbs aren't unhealthy, don't cause obesity, etc.. Yet every time I eat them I end up binging on them and gaining weight. Or if I keep eating them and restrict calories, I'm starving all the time.

So am I supposed to listen to the "science", or follow the fad diet that actually allows me to lose weight? I'm going to choose the fad diet regardless of what the underlying science is.

Listen to the science and don't eat them. Whether they cause you to binge or not, there is plenty of science showing sugar and processed carbs are not healthy.
    That is the big misconception. Especially regarding the if it fits your macro crowd on one and the Paleo crowd on the other. Both groups have gone to the extremes. I am sorry life is not about extremes.
    Listen to the science and don't eat them. Whether they cause you to binge or not, there is plenty of science showing sugar and processed carbs are not healthy.
    If I recall that is based on eating large amounts. If you want to get technical I can gain weight by eating nuts. Mind you nuts are very calorie dense, sure they have SOME value but so does a candy bar. So, what's the difference?

If a paleo diet makes someone happy, then what's the big deal?

I find it MORE extreme to measure every single food you eat for calorie content. That is ridiculous to me!
    That is where I am in agreement with you. If it makes the person happy, HOWEVER eating paleo is no better than any other calorie deficit plan. That includes eating anything in moderation COUPLED with nutritious foods.

I'm not trying to say Paleo is the superior diet, as I'm not even on the diet. I just think its being unjustly criticized. You can say its unnecessary to remove whole grains, dairy, and junk foods, but one can also say its unnecessary to eat them in the first place. Not every choice has to be made for scientific reasons either. Sometimes its for philosophical reasons.
  • cheykota
    cheykota Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who has lost fifty pounds so far just by eating Paleo, so I decided to give it a shot. I feel better, have lots more energy, and have lost 16 pounds in three weeks. I am never hungry, so I have no trouble resisting sugar and carbs. There is a lot of research behind living a Paleo lifestyle, and it isn't some fad diet that tells you to only eat one food or drastically restrict your calories. Obviously, processed foods are not good for you. Sugar is not good for you, and excessive carb intake is not good for you. I encourage you to give it a try, and see if you feel better. If you don't, what have you lost? Good luck in your journey to better health!!
  • CharityEaton
    Options
    I think a little common sense goes a long way with any "diet" if you want to do a "diet" then so be it but if you want to make healthy lifestyle changes that you can stick with indefinitely then I think the Paleo diet is a good start.

I'm not following it perfectly but like I said a little common sense goes a long way. If you want to just lose weight and you don't care about what you eat then stuff yourself with cheetos as long as you are under your cal. goals your fine and you WILL lose weight(you'll also feel and look like crap) If you want to fuel your body then put healthy things in it. Do I totally cut dairy..no, and I still eat grains and beans.
    I still eat crap food from time to time but I can absolutely tell a difference in the way I feel!

I think the Paleo diet is a great plan to help get anyone started on eating cleaner more wholesome and nutritious food. It's a start anyway and what you do with the knowledge is up to you.
    There is something I read(can't remember what book it came from) but we all have different body shapes because of our genetics and this is also why different diets have better results on different people. Some can cut carbs and lose tons of weight, others won't lose anything. Some can cut fat etc.... You are the best judge of what your body needs but the only way to realize how much better you will feel is to try something new. If you feel the same..not working. You will know when you find what works for you. You will wake up one day thinking, "WOW I feel great...when did this happen."

I also try to live by the saying, "If your great grandma would have no idea what it is....then don't eat it. If it is a color that is neon...don't eat it. If the people in the factory that processed it are required to wear surgical masks,gloves etc while making it...don't eat it. If a person didn't cook it....don't eat it! If it comes in more than one package...don't eat it."
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who has lost fifty pounds so far just by eating Paleo, so I decided to give it a shot. I feel better, have lots more energy, and have lost 16 pounds in three weeks. I am never hungry, so I have no trouble resisting sugar and carbs. There is a lot of research behind living a Paleo lifestyle, and it isn't some fad diet that tells you to only eat one food or drastically restrict your calories. Obviously, processed foods are not good for you. Sugar is not good for you, and excessive carb intake is not good for you. I encourage you to give it a try, and see if you feel better. If you don't, what have you lost? Good luck in your journey to better health!!

Please provide said research.

Thanks.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

I changed from a more pure Calories in Calories Out view to a Primal Lifestyle. Primal is similar to Paleo though less restrictive (dairy and alcohol in moderation for instance) and also more holistic. More info here:

I have had amazing results in weight loss, muscle gains, and overall health since making this change regardless of what naysayers might have to say about it. Proof is in the pudding for me and that is all that matters.

If you are giving it due consideration, I suggest trying it for a few weeks to see what results you get and how you feel.

Isn't Primal the one that has "laws" like this

Avoid poisonous things.
    But also try to avoid the hidden poisons in foods like sugars, grains, processed foods, trans and hydrogenated fats, and mercury in certain fish.

but then sells things like his Primal Whey that is multi processed and includes sugar?
  • grinch031
    Options

Look most of the other members think we are zealots for following anything other than the "eat in moderation" lifestyle, and that's probably not going to change.

I used to eat all kinds of foods and *tried* to moderate, but I could never figure out how to make the right decision of what to eat, or how much of it. For instance, when I went to Pizza Hut, I could not figure out whether I should eat a side salad first to fill me up a little and prevent overeating of pizza, or eat nothing and just wait for the pizza so I can enjoy a little more. Well I usually ended up overeating on the pizza no matter what I did. Now being on a low-carb diet, I will go to Pizza Hut and the decision is easy, skip the pizza for a cheat day and eat a full salad with chicken and lots of dressing. My caloric intake ends up being less, I don't feel bloated, and I'm actually more satiated.

So atkins, paleo, primal, etc. they provide a set of parameters that makes food decisions very easy and makes it easy to stay in a caloric deficit. The more you learn about nutrition the more you can stray from the plan, but the more you stray for the sake of flexibility the more difficult your decision-making becomes. I already know I can't make the right choices when given too much freedom.
  • mom2bigjake
    Options
    Our body's tend to be a lot happier without processed foods, best resource check out Mark's Daily Apple. We folllow as much as possible with organic products as grass fed is not always readily available. Everyone's body is different, if you don't have kidney damadge it is worth a try, just be sure to drink TONS of water.
  • kcmg0730
    Options

Please provide said research.

Thanks.
    [ /quote]

For some of the evidence behind these statements, Read Escape the Diet Trap by Dr John Briffa. He doesn't call his Primal or Paleo, but it's basically the same idea. And, he gives references at the end to back up the science on carbs, refined sugar, etc. Also, the Mark's Daily Apple website isn't necessarily referenced ( I don't know that for sure, I haven't checked yet), but it's a good source of information. There was a good article by Dr Richard Lipman about dieting through the ages that mentions lower carb dieting as early as 1825. Again, I'm not sure if this was referenced though it was a scientific article, so it should be (I read it a few years ago, and it stuck with me). Still, it's an interesting read.

This sure is a hotly debated topic, and it's unusual that people who are vehemently attacking it and judging those who are successfully losing this way have never tried it?? I mean, I wouldn't necessarily choose to be a vegetarian or a vegan, but I lived that way for several years, so at least I know why it didn't work for me; and just because it wasn't for me, definitely does not give me the right to demand the research to prove it's better, and attack other people's choice.

The bottom line, with or without the research, I feel better, I am not starving hungry all the time, or thinking about my next meal constantly, the weight is coming off, and I feel really good about the food I am putting in my body...finally! I don't feel a bit deprived or like I'm missing anything; it seems silly now to think about missing factory produced food when I can have the real thing!
  • amoffatt
    amoffatt Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    One of my pet peeves is when people say a diet is or is not sustainable. Unless we are talking about a person who is held captive or in some other way has had all decision making re: food removed, or we are talking about a diet that is actually lethal when followed, whether a diet is sustainable is a completely individual thing, influenced by many things including culture, psychology, and physiology.

I have the same pet peeve plus those who ask me "how did you lose weight/" "You should try this" or "I heard that this NEW diet you count this not that, add this take away that." People know I am not a fan of "diets" and eating plans that make me eliminate, eat their food only, I have to pay for it and especailly not being taught how to properly eat and lose on my own in everyday living. Now, I am doing it and losing weight and its staying off!!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Fruit is healthy.

Why yes, it is.
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    All diets work that causes you to eat less calories than your burn.

I eat ice cream and steak and sugar and lose 150 lbs. Paleo, take that.
  • h0t_m0m
    h0t_m0m Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    It all comes down to personal choice and what helps weightloss easier for someone. The food industry and marketing has definitely made it easier for people to choose to overeat. Look at all the convenience foods in the grocery store, all the fast food restaurants, the portion sizes in restaurants, commercials, free samples in the mall, etc.

But, for any diet to result in weightloss, you have to take in less calories than you burn. That is the simple science. It all comes down to personal choice and willpower.

"Diets" usually provide a starting point for people looking for help. I for one have done the Belly Fat Cure and Primal. I have now decided that the best thing that works for me and my family is whole foods. Real meats (no hormones, nitrites, nitrates, etc), organic fruits and vegetables, whole grains and unrefined sugars/natural sugars. In the end, no matter what I put in my mouth, in order to see the number go down on the scale, I have to have a calorie deficit.
  • grinch031
    Options

For some of the evidence behind these statements, Read Escape the Diet Trap by Dr John Briffa. He doesn't call his Primal or Paleo, but it's basically the same idea. And, he gives references at the end to back up the science on carbs, refined sugar, etc. Also, the Mark's Daily Apple website isn't necessarily referenced ( I don't know that for sure, I haven't checked yet), but it's a good source of information. There was a good article by Dr Richard Lipman about dieting through the ages that mentions lower carb dieting as early as 1825. Again, I'm not sure if this was referenced though it was a scientific article, so it should be (I read it a few years ago, and it stuck with me). Still, it's an interesting read.

This sure is a hotly debated topic, and it's unusual that people who are vehemently attacking it and judging those who are successfully losing this way have never tried it?? I mean, I wouldn't necessarily choose to be a vegetarian or a vegan, but I lived that way for several years, so at least I know why it didn't work for me; and just because it wasn't for me, definitely does not give me the right to demand the research to prove it's better, and attack other people's choice.

The bottom line, with or without the research, I feel better, I am not starving hungry all the time, or thinking about my next meal constantly, the weight is coming off, and I feel really good about the food I am putting in my body...finally! I don't feel a bit deprived or like I'm missing anything; it seems silly now to think about missing factory produced food when I can have the real thing!

They are attacking it because they need science in order to believe in it. Some people need science, some need observation, and some go by faith alone (ie. religion). I happen to need observation more than science, but its nice when science also supports it. If I can observe that a diet has success for a number of people, then I consider it legit. If the underlying science is lacking or wrong, so be it, the diet still works and one day science will better explain why. If someone tells me a diet works and nobody can attest that it worked for them or was at all sustainable, then I will blow it off.
  • kcmg0730
    Options
    I should add that I'm rarely in calorie deficit, in fact, I'm usually over my limit, and I'm still losing ( I had to stop tracking food because of this,..it was freaking me out!). Not sure why, don't care!!

Also, with many of these books and Mark Sisson's website, this is not all or nothing. If you are presented with cake, and you want the cake, eat the cake, just don't do it day after day. It's not all that much different to the everything in moderation method, it's just a different approach, and a different angle.

Seriously, why does cutting out a food group drive so many people crazy?? Do vegetarians get this, as well??
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    People on this board continuously try to say that sugar and refined carbs aren't unhealthy, don't cause obesity, etc.. Yet every time I eat them I end up binging on them and gaining weight. Or if I keep eating them and restrict calories, I'm starving all the time.

So am I supposed to listen to the "science", or follow the fad diet that actually allows me to lose weight? I'm going to choose the fad diet regardless of what the underlying science is.

Yeah but according to the experts here, if I just "eat in moderation" i will create my caloric deficit and lose weight, right?

Well, yes. But losing weight and eating healthy are not the same subject. There is the oft referred to Twinkie Diet as proof that you can lose weight while eating sugar and processed crap food as long as you have a calorie deficit. But the odds that you'll remain healthy are far better if you eat healthy foods.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I should add that I'm rarely in calorie deficit, in fact, I'm usually over my limit, and I'm still losing ( I had to stop tracking food because of this,..it was freaking me out!). Not sure why, don't care!!

Are you saying you're consistently eating in a surplus and losing weight? or am i misunderstanding what you wrote?
  • grinch031
    Options

You are still in a calorie deficit if you're losing weight, as your tracked numbers are just estimates.