OK, Here's the secret......

Options
13»

Replies

• mfinney
    mfinney Posts: 314
    Options
    Great post, Matt!! I have been like a roller coaster with my weight for the past several years. I do good for awhile, then I will backslide.
    I have a family of five, so buying healthy food is really expensive (especially now, since I am the only one that has income coming in). I don't buy junk food, like chips-cookies, but I tend to buy things like hamburger helper--easy on the budget and the kids love it. I know, I know---this is not very healthy for any of us, but what can poor people do? Any suggestions would be appreciated! I'm a mom with a low budget and in debt to my eyeballs right now! :sad:

well...... this goes into my other tirade about being a drill sergeant instead of good buddy....

i'm pretty blunt about some stuff, so i don't want you to think i'm being mean here at all... i promise, i care and i wish to help anyone who truly wants it, but "health food is more expensive" doesn't cut it for me. i'm sorry. i eat plenty of good things and i'm not broke doing it. i completely understand your dilemma, but you can do it -- but the family isn't going to be eating hamburger helper... being healthy doesn't have to break the bank... fruits/veggies are cheap; you can get whole bags of chicken breasts for a reasonable price, tuna is the ultimate cheap health food! (it's like 84 cents a can where i am)... nuts for snacks instead of potato chips...

don't feel overwhelmed.... just do searches on the web: i just typed in "eating healthy on a budget" into google and got tons of results....

it can be done..... just change course and your thinking.... and being that you're the one buying (and probably preparing).... nobody else really has a say so!!

good luck!! :smile:
  • sassycat
    sassycat Posts: 108
    Options
    Great post, Matt!! I have been like a roller coaster with my weight for the past several years. I do good for awhile, then I will backslide.
    I have a family of five, so buying healthy food is really expensive (especially now, since I am the only one that has income coming in). I don't buy junk food, like chips-cookies, but I tend to buy things like hamburger helper--easy on the budget and the kids love it. I know, I know---this is not very healthy for any of us, but what can poor people do? Any suggestions would be appreciated! I'm a mom with a low budget and in debt to my eyeballs right now! :sad:

well...... this goes into my other tirade about being a drill sergeant instead of good buddy....

i'm pretty blunt about some stuff, so i don't want you to think i'm being mean here at all... i promise, i care and i wish to help anyone who truly wants it, but "health food is more expensive" doesn't cut it for me. i'm sorry. i eat plenty of good things and i'm not broke doing it. i completely understand your dilemma, but you can do it -- but the family isn't going to be eating hamburger helper... being healthy doesn't have to break the bank... fruits/veggies are cheap; you can get whole bags of chicken breasts for a reasonable price, tuna is the ultimate cheap health food! (it's like 84 cents a can where i am)... nuts for snacks instead of potato chips...

don't feel overwhelmed.... just do searches on the web: i just typed in "eating healthy on a budget" into google and got tons of results....

it can be done..... just change course and your thinking.... and being that you're the one buying (and probably preparing).... nobody else really has a say so!!

good luck!! :smile:

Wow! Thanks Matt! I did what you said about going on google for "eating healthy on a budget". I never realized there were so many websites regarding this. I guess I was tied up feeling sorry for myself! Thank you for the "kick in the butt". :happy: I am ready for change in my life!!
  • ozarkcontessa
    Options
    :smile: aww Matt, I do have to agree you dont have to eat hamburger helper every day.. but in Alaska the fruit and Vege's might as well be gold... Like right now... peaches, nectarines, grapes... all about $3.99 a pound.... however, you're right...we in AK can also go an hour from town to fish for Salmon, Halibut and dig clams... (me, I hate fish) seafood belongs in the see :laugh: and if your into wildgame.. hunting season for bear, moose, caribou are always an option... 1/2 gallon of the "good" milk is about $4.69...so I guess it is all about how badly you want to be healthy... :flowerforyou: Thanks for the upbeat messages...keep em coming.... :smile:
  • JDHINAZ
    JDHINAZ Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    bumping and adding to my topics.
    mfinney, I may have to make you a friend. You're like...smart and stuff....