MFP Runner's Club

Options

Replies

• VballLeash
    VballLeash Posts: 2,456 Member
    Options
    Try this website its free http://www.activetrainer.com/ ive just started using it, its good to track your fitness activities and has lots of free training programmes..
    A year ago I could not run , I have since done half marathon and run about 3 or 4 10k runs a week in under 50 mins, so keep with it, my first 10k run was about 1hr 15
    Ran 12k tonight in an hour... The nike+ is good aswell as this motivates you when you compete with other runners in races... :wink:

Thanks Mandy! I believe you are new to the runner's club, WELCOME!!! :happy:

~Leash :heart:
  • sonia2
    sonia2 Posts: 154
    Options
    I just love this thread!!!

7 mile speedwork run this am:

1 mile warm-up
    3 x 1600 in 8:52 w/ 800 jogs == 4.5 miles
    1.5 mile cool-down

I did it on the treadmill. It was soooo hard, but I finished!
  • vrdz3215
    vrdz3215 Posts: 493
    Options
    Nice leisurely 2 miles this morn, plus 20 min on bike and 20 on elliptical, topped off with some weight training! I was on it today!!! Tommorrow will b a 4 mile day! Going to start a training program I got from RUnners world on Monday to try and get my 5K time down to under 23 mins..wish me luck!:flowerforyou:
  • vrdz3215
    vrdz3215 Posts: 493
    Options

1 mile warm-up
    1.5 mile cool-down

I don't see how you can do that on a treadmill, I get sooooooooooo bored on the treadmill! I have to be outside to run...i think its the change in the scenery....
  • sonia2
    Options
    I don't see how you can do that on a treadmill, I get sooooooooooo bored on the treadmill! I have to be outside to run...i think its the change in the scenery....
    [/quote]

That's why it was sooooo hard!!!:laugh: I hate going more than 4 or 5 on a treadmill, but with 3 kids, sometimes I have no choice. I'm like you, I do prefer outside and a change of scenery.

Good luck with that >23 min 5k---- that's fast!! I love to here everyone's times!!
  • sonia2
    Options

1 mile warm-up
    1.5 mile cool-down

That's why it was sooooo hard!!! I hate going more than 4 or 5 on a treadmill, but with 3 kids, sometimes I have no choice. I'm like you, I do prefer outside and a change of scenery.

Good luck with that >23 min 5k---- that's fast!! I love to here everyone's times!!
  • RunRideRay
    RunRideRay Posts: 1,536 Member
    Options
    Good job Sonia.... 7 mile speedwork on a treadmill is a killer. What a mental challenge.

One of my original posts was about watching movies while running on the treadmill. It's an awesome way to get your mind off from running. You just need a good action flick, like "Taken". I just watched it last month on a trans-atlantic flight and it's the perfect running movie. Get a multi-day rental and break it into two runs, and you'll have an awesome reason to run the next day.

Just a tip... for those that may choose some treadmill reprive.

Raymond
  • kechiemc
    kechiemc Posts: 1,355 Member
    Options
    Good morning:flowerforyou:

5 mile interval workout today:
    1 mile to warm up
    800 meter @ 4:16 w/ 400 meter jogs between
    1 mile to cool down

Funny thing: I am repeating this workout b/c I did not hit 4:16 on every interval last week. Today I thought I would run the route in reverse just to mix things up a bit. Omg, there was one hill that almost killed me. I hit 4:20 on all of the other intervals except that one interval, 5:06 - and it wasn't pretty.

Enjoy the day
    -Kechie.
  • jabdye
    jabdye Posts: 4,059 Member
    Options

1 mile warm-up
    1.5 mile cool-down

Congrats -- great run!!!

but I must say, I would reather run on the treadmill than outdoors in this heat....being the "treadmill sissy" that I am :laugh:
  • jabdye
    Options
    I did 4.5 miles outdoors in the crazy heat and humidity! Had trouble breathing :frown: -- I'm going to try using an inhaler before I go next time to see if I'm truly just a sissy or there is some validity to exercise induced asthma. :grumble:

Hope you all have a happy Friday -- woohoo -- just a few more hours till the weekend officially begins! :drinker:

Enjoy your day!
    Julie
  • foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    hey runner's club!

what does everyone do to stretch? sorry if this is a double post, but i see activity goin on in here :smile:
    so, my calves hurt the next day after a long jog
    is this normal?

and what should i be doing in terms of stretching before and after?
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    Today will be wk 8 day 2 C25K - I think I am going to do some water aerobics in between my run days (when it's not a strength day) - haven't tried it yet but I figured it would be easy on the joints in between runs.
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    I miss running. My ankle/lower calf/tendon feels better but I'm still concerned. I'll give it another day or so.. think that's enough time?

Chrissy - I'm proud of you, you're doing awesome with c25k :)

Loathesome - I try to stretch/loosen the following:

ankles: Keep your leg straight and point your toes, then draw a circle with them moving only your ankle, both directions for about 30 seconds.

calves - wall push ups

shins - sit down with my legs under me, bent at the knees. Then, keeping your weight on your feet, pull up the knee on the side you want to stretch.

Quads - Stand on one foot and hold the other close to your butt, tight enough to stretch

Hamstring - Bend over and touch your toes

Groin - Sit in a "butterfly" position and press down on both of your knees.

Arms - move your arms in a circle, and just do general arm stretches.
  • jodi0117
    jodi0117 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    hey runner's club!

what does everyone do to stretch? sorry if this is a double post, but i see activity goin on in here :smile:
    so, my calves hurt the next day after a long jog
    is this normal?

and what should i be doing in terms of stretching before and after?

Hello! I would suggest not to stretch before you run, but make sure you get in a good warmup--5 minutes of walking/light jogging and then cool down the same way. Then, msarro gave you some good overall stretches. I would add maybe a "downward facing dog" yoga pose--great for calves!
    Or, you could stand with your toes on a step/curb/ledge and drop your heel off the back-also good!

Good luck to you,
    Jodi
  • jodi0117
    Options
    Howdy everyone!

Got up nice and early this morning to beat the heat (is that actually possible?)--got in an 8-miler. I can add to the list of interesting things seen on runs: I saw a wild turkey with three babies following close behind this morning-too cute! Anybody know what turkey babies are called? I can't seem to remember or maybe I never knew. I also get to see lots of armadillos, you know, alive, not dead on the road!

The most adrenaline pumping experience I've had is doing a "hop, skip and jump" over a rattlesnake in my pathway that I didn't see until the last minute--YIKES!

I am jealous of those who have treadmills--I used to have that option!

SatelliteCrush--good luck on your 5K this weekend--remember, you are only racing against yourself!

I think I am still on my "runner's high" I can't seem to shut up!

Have a great day everyone!
    Jodi
  • jabdye
    Options
    Jodi -- why not stretch? I don't stretch a ton before my run -- but feel like a need some. Is that harmful???
  • kechiemc
    kechiemc Posts: 1,355 Member
    Options
    Jodi -- why not stretch? I don't stretch a ton before my run -- but feel like a need some. Is that harmful???

There was a recent study on Runner's World that recommended stretching after you run. I personally am not good at stretching at all.:embarassed:
  • jodi0117
    Options

I guess I didn't mean you shouldn't stretch at all before, but you shouldn't stretch before you warm up your muscles a bit. I will stretch occasionally after a short warmup if I'm still feeling a little stiff, but I save any major stretching for after.
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options

I guess I didn't mean you shouldn't stretch at all before, but you shouldn't stretch before you warm up your muscles a bit. I will stretch occasionally after a short warmup if I'm still feeling a little stiff, but I save any major stretching for after.

I think this may be kind of a personal thing that people will have to play with, at least for certain muscle groups. I know if I don't stretch my shins before I warmup/run they become mindnumbingly painful very fast. Stretching before eliminates that :)
  • RunRideRay
    RunRideRay Posts: 1,536 Member
    Options
    I have never stretched before running, but always take 2 miles with a nice and easy warm up. Beside, we have had tons of posts about how awful the first mile is anyway.

Same on the back end of a run, I have the last mile or so a cool down.

Stretching is great at preventing injuries. I'll be honest, I never correlate my run to stretching (I run, therefore I must stretch) but just fit it in whenever I can. I'll even stretch in the driveway just hanging out with kids... but I guess I don't mind the weird looks by folks driving by. For me, it's usually just focused on hamstring stretches. Now that I am doing some Yoga each week.... that's working everything else.

BTW... beside Msarro, tight calves mean they are getting stronger. They are one of the "weaker" muscle groups when you start running, but develop much faster than upper leg. They should not stay sore for long but will quickly get stronger and better defined... wooohooo right! :drinker: :drinker:

Raymond